+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: 9/8 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 9/8 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

I think Josh was just spoiling for a fight with Bert and used Bert mumbling an obscenity in frustration (and directed at the computer/printer, not at any other designer) to start one. I also found it strange that Josh would go off about how using foul language indicates stupidity, but yet doesn't seem to understand that throwing huge, public fits doesn't speak well of someone's maturity or intelligence either. Honestly, has there ever been a season of PR where someone hasn't had to be bleeped? He should have known going in that it was likely that someone might occasionally swear because they were tired or annoyed or whatever. Really, his teammates seemed more upset by Josh blowing up than by Bert cussing under his breath. If it's really a big issue with Josh, Josh could have taken him aside nicely and mentioned it. Bert seemed unaware that he'd even said it, and sometimes people honestly don't realize they've been offensive. Bert's exhibited attitude problems before too, but he really wasn't the one who was out of line last night.

And yeah, it's nice of Josh to apologize, but it would be nicer if he realized he wouldn't have to apologize so much if he could control the nasty remarks. I'm not big on foul language either, but I'd take Bert cussing out a computer over some of the hateful things Josh said to and about Becky and her designs.
    AZChristian likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    The ONLY thing I'd worried about with the "Arriving... On Time" idea would be Kors deciding to make a sexual reference there instead of the one he did "Who wants to wear 'Canceled' over their crotch?" It'd been a variation I think.

BTW, I think I want to look at that print - I think Canceled was misspelled with two "L's."
    Nina added having DELAYED is not so good either. Anyways, 2 L's is also correct (both are correct).

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by watts View Post
    Anyways, 2 L's is also correct (both are correct).
    Typically, although I admit I don't know why, one L is considered American and the double L is British. As for personal preference, I prefer LL

I agree with what all of you are saying about Josh. Didn't like him when it started. What I feel now is bordering on contempt. Apparently his dearly departed mother never taught him the "if you can't say something nice" nugget. Then he goes on to say that the outburst really wasn't the real Josh. Yeah right! Was it also not the real Josh when you were badgering Becky and her "dowdy" designs?
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Team Chaos

Team Nuts and Bolts

Where are earth did Anya's win come from? Granted, she's made some great looks, I personally loved her avant garde look from last week, which the judges placed firmly in "the middle." But, last night I was sure they were giving the win to Olivier's jacket even though I thought Viktor's gown deserved the win. Kors actually said that Olivier's jacket was one of the best jackets ever on PR?! No way! Her chest was all over the place and the peplum or flounce was too short and too 80's. Seth Aaron, now that man could make a jacket! I agree with all those who say that the move to Lifetime and production team of B/M is ruining this show. There are too many group challenges, too little money for materials, and too little time for these designers to produce quality designs. The emphasis is definitely on finding the most dramatic competitors not on the most talented designers being cast. Josh is just vile. If his mom died two years ago and his grief is still that raw, he needs to get some counseling as soon as possible. Bert has been almost as vile this season, but last night I appreciated his attitude of let's leave all the drama behind and be professional. I think he realized that he sank to Josh's level in weeks past, and now just wants to focus on designing. Good luck with that Bert with Lifetime behind this show!
    Allie and AZChristian like this.

My critiques:

Anya: This isn’t the best work we’ve seen from Anya. I think it looks like an apron over a regular black t-shirt. The back is nice because the cutaway gives the model a figure but the closed front clear up to the neck looks boxy.

Anthony: His model looks like the queen of the rodeo. This little lady won a blue ribbon in barrel racing and is going to give a kiss and a trophy to the winner of the bullriding contest. Yahoo!

Bryce: His model looks like a student on Spring break wandered into the studio by accident, thinking it was some sort of club. She wanted Sex on the Beach but got a spot in a runway show instead!

Olivier: As wonderful as the jacket is, it makes the pants look cheap in comparison. The pants look like pajama bottoms to me, as though this lady executive, at the end of a long hard day at work, came home and changed out of business slacks, slipped on pajamas, but left the jacket on so she could change into a short skirt later and go clubbing.

Viktor: This was my favorite outfit this week. It’s so versatile! It would be appropriate for a casual outing or a formal occasion. The color and shape of the dress make it slimming where it should be and curvy in all the right places. Love it!

Becky: Oh, look. Another Spring breaker. She must be with Bryce’s model. They probably got split up when Becky’s model ran back to her car to get her sweater in case it was cold in the club. Looks like it’s an old sweater. She’s worn holes in the elbows.

Bert: This was my second favorite outfit. I don’t know what the judges were talking about the length being odd and the zipper in the front being a mistake. I really like it! I think I’d wear different shoes with it than these combat boots but other than that, I find nothing wrong with it.

Joshua: I see what Joshua was trying to do, making the jacket like the cogs of a clock meeting up, but it didn’t come together as a cohesive look. Adding the blue shirt underneath the mismatched jacket made it look even more disjointed. Perhaps a bustier top paired with this outfit would have been better.

Kimberly: I absolutely loathe the skirt of this outfit. The texture doesn’t fit with the other outfits presented by the team, the shape is god-awful. If you are what you eat, this model appears to eat at Taco Bell a lot. She has the bell-shaped hips to prove it! Yo quiero, Taco Bell, but the skirt? Not so much…

Laura: I kept thinking of Blue Suede Shoes when looking at Laura’s outfit. That’s not a good thing. This is what I envision members of a track team sponsored by a lounge in Las Vegas to wear. Instead of spending time giving advice to other designers about their outfits, Laura (and Joshua, for that matter) should have spent more time working on her own.

Did I miss in the description of the challenge that their patterns had to be black and white? I would have preferred if somebody had done a pattern using color. It’s hard to make a black and white pattern look any different than pages from a newspaper. Frankly, I didn’t like most of the patterns. The one I liked the most was the one the judges trashed the most—the clocks. Has time not been kind to the judges? Is that why they hated that theme so much? Maybe it was interpreted a bit too literally and the scope could have been broadened to include other timepieces but the concept was fine to me.

The way they did the judging was confusing to me. They said there wasn't going to be a team leader but when deciding who won and who was out this week, they made it seem like it was based on who best served their team, rather than whose outfit was best. In that regard, I agree that Anya should have won because she came up with the idea for their presentation video and had a lot of input in the other designs on her team. However, I don't think her outfit was the best.

I have to gripe about the Project Runway website. It’s already a bear to deal with it because it’s so slow to navigate (I assume that’s because of all the graphics). They have the pictures of the front, back and sides of the outfits but for some reason, the pictures of the front are bigger than the pictures of the sides and backs so I can’t resize them all the same when I post them here. That’s part of the reason why it takes me so long to get them ready. Also, they frequently mislabel or omit pictures. One week, instead of having the back of Bryce’s outfit, they had the back of Bert’s outfit in its place. This week, they didn’t have a picture of the back of Bryce’s outfit (does somebody on the PR website hate Bryce or what?) and they didn’t have pictures of the side and back of Laura’s outfit. I wish they had included pictures of each designer's pattern they created. They included a picture of some of the fabrics used but not all of the ones created were used in the team's fashions so we don't get to see those.

Here’s how I would rank this week’s fashions:

1. Viktor—An exquisite gown perfect for any occasion where you want to turn heads.
    2. Bert—With different shoes, would have been even better!
    3. Olivier—The jacket was fantastic but more time should have been put into making the pants as well.
    4. Anya—The perfect dress to make cookies in for the PTA meeting. You can go straight from the kitchen to the meeting!
    5. Anthony— Ride ‘em, cowgirl. Woo, doggies!
    6. Laura—No particular order for 6-8. I couldn’t decide which was better or worse.
    7. Bryce
    8. Becky
    9. Kimberly—Only escaped being last because I like the top, although I don’t like the color of it.
    10. Joshua—Huge mess, nothing worked.

Just my opinion, but I have to say it. I hate booty shoes! I don't know their technically name, but aside from wearing them with a normal length pair of pants/jeans, I just think they look hideous with anything else. The whole point is to lengthen the leg and show as much 'top' of the foot as possible so the leg appears longer. These aweful booties just cut people off at the ankles and I just think they aren't flattering on anyone. Sorry. End of Rant.
    Duckyface likes this.

Typically, although I admit I don't know why, one L is considered American and the double L is British. As for personal preference, I prefer LL
    I'm in the US and I prefer LL. I haven't noticed one L being used here more. Usually it is with LL.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    With a 1.5 hour show I am surprised they have completely eliminated any aspect of the show related to the models. Other than the fittings and the runway we don't see anything about them. I liked it better when they would at least switch them up and show more snippets of them talking with the designers. These models are like moving mannequins to me because they aren't telling us anything that lets us get to know them.
    I miss the part of the show with the models. I liked it when the winning designer got to pick the model they worked with and I enjoyed the Models of the Runway show after Project Runway. We learned so much that went on behind the scenes of an episode and got to know the models on a personal basis instead of just seeing them as clothes hangers. I know the show is primarily about the designers but I think there's room to include more about the models, too. They're important because a great model can work an outfit and make it show better on the runway while a bad model can totally destroy the presentation of a designer's work.
    Last edited by pikachu; 09-09-2011 at 04:34 PM.

Pikachu, I agree with your assessment on Bert's dress. Yes, he needs to work on his attitude (and I hope that Joshua's outbursts show him what he could turn out to be like and it changes PDQ), but he DOES know how to design. I mean, he actually made the large gears pattern work. (Then again when he designed the clocks print that wasn't used, I think he had this in mind).

Sad that Becky had probably the best print of this group, but was eliminated.

Anya's dress look well made but was boring. I've seen VERY similar ones before in department stores. I thought the evening gown should have won, but maybe they wanted to pick someone who used the fabric patterns they made via the printer?????

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast