+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: What are your fashion credentials?

Re: What are your fashion credentials?

I'd be more into clothes if things actually fit me and I didn't need to take out a mortgage to pay for them. That and I sometimes feel like "looks nice, but not on me", so yeah, I am not a fashionable person.

That being said, I would like to know how to sew. I got my mother a nice sewing machine (Brother LX-3125) since she wanted one a couple years ago but she has had 0 interest to learn it. She's like that and I should have expected it but even I have difficulty with it. That instructional DVD is almost worthless. Threading a thread alone is longest process and so much a PITA that we all gave up.

I do however visit Style.com and NYMag a lot, I have tons of saved favorites and have seen what encompasses high end fashion enough to know what it should like.

I never have sewn clothes, just curtains and table runners, etc. Although I designed clothes for my paper dolls when young, I really had no desire to design. (I'm now an oil painter so somewhat artistic)

But about 10 years ago, I realized that I had no fashion sense at all. I just bought and wore what appealed to me at the moment. I was a "mom"
    for a long time and held various part time and full time jobs, went to grad school at 40, etc etc.

I was also then at an age where I could afford to buy some nicer things. So, realizing I was getting older, and couldn't just rely on youth and looks anymore, I decided to become a more elegant old lady. We all know them...they always look "put together," always dressed accordingly and effortlessly.

I started watching What Not To Wear...I could relate to their "victims" quite well. Then I read a lot of fashion magazines, learned about individual designers and how to recognize their products (ready to wear), and what brand/designer looks good on me. I have slowly re-created my whole wardrobe. Sometimes I shop at Nordstroms and sometimes I shop at Old Navy. It's not always the price that matters but learning what works for you and your body, what are classic styles that are always "in," and how to put things together. If you wait awhile, knock-offs of designer clothes are everywhere at much lower cost.

And if I want something that is THE TREND of the year, I may buy a knock-off at a less costly store, knowing it won't be worn for that long. For classic clothes, i.e. a black cashmere sweater, I'll buy one that will last a long time and take very good care of it. I actually have owned one for almost 20 years and I still wear it.

The best thing I have found about having a well thought out wardrobe is that I don't go into a tizzy whenever I'm invited to some event, have to rush out and find something to wear, etc. And learning to have basics in certain colors to mix and match, adding color here and there makes a much happier me, and in turn, a much happier hubby.

So all the above colors my feelings about Project Runway. I'm always amazed when an outfit makes a beautiful model's body look strange and the judges love it. They always talk about what makes a woman look better and then they pick some horrible design. Go figure.
    But as long as Tim Gunn is there, I'll be there.
    Last edited by Dragonlady; 08-29-2011 at 04:09 AM.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I wish you could come help me, Dragonlady! I love watching What Not To Wear and sometimes it inspires me to try harder with my wardrobe but it doesn't last. As a very plus-sized lady, it's hard for me to find clothes that fit which don't cost an arm and a leg, let alone find something that works for me. For awhile, Burlington had some great plus-sized clothing but the last time I shopped there, they had scaled back and didn't have much in my size except for the ugliest fabrics. I used to go to Lane Bryant but then they turned all hootchie-mama couture. There's a place here called Catherine's that has plenty of plus sizes but their prices are kind of steep for me. At the moment, I either get clothes at Walmart or Beall's.

Stacy and Clinton would hate me because to me comfort is the priority. I don't want to look good in something that I find uncomfortable. I never will wear high heels because I'm not used to wobbling around in them, they're not good for women's feet, and I'm afraid of heights. No sense being any taller than I need to be!

Thanks for starting this thread Pikachu. It's fun to read about everyone's fashion perspective!

I've always thought of myself fashion conscious on a budget, but over recent years having developed several health problems I've "spread out" and begun to be more comfort oriented. Not that fashionable can't be comfortable, it just takes a lot more effort to find fashionable and comfortable, not to mention in larger sizes.

Luckily for me I had a beautiful daughter after my three boys, so I've used her as my barbie doll all her life I enjoy dressing her and my friends. They like me to go shopping with them because I like shopping and they know I'll be honest about how they look and I like to think I do a pretty good job choosing things for them to try.

I also have a small business selling clothing on ebay, so I read fashion magazines and try to keep abreast of current trends. I sew a little, but I think I'm more interested in styling and putting outfits together than I am in designing. After years of a male dominated household my husband now watches PR with my daughter and me, and even he has picked up things from it. He will sometimes comment on women's outfits being "too boxy" or "ill fitting"
    Allie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I wish you could come help me, Dragonlady! I love watching What Not To Wear and sometimes it inspires me to try harder with my wardrobe but it doesn't last. As a very plus-sized lady, it's hard for me to find clothes that fit which don't cost an arm and a leg, let alone find something that works for me. For awhile, Burlington had some great plus-sized clothing but the last time I shopped there, they had scaled back and didn't have much in my size except for the ugliest fabrics. I used to go to Lane Bryant but then they turned all hootchie-mama couture. There's a place here called Catherine's that has plenty of plus sizes but their prices are kind of steep for me. At the moment, I either get clothes at Walmart or Beall's.

Stacy and Clinton would hate me because to me comfort is the priority. I don't want to look good in something that I find uncomfortable. I never will wear high heels because I'm not used to wobbling around in them, they're not good for women's feet, and I'm afraid of heights. No sense being any taller than I need to be!
    I wish I could help you but we're so far apart!
    You can still find comfortable clothes that are fashionable. I don't wear really high heels anymore either.... I only have a few pair with a mid-heel....one in black patent and another in what we used to call "bone" but now seems to be "nude." That way I can wear them with most clothes. Cole Haan makes very comfortable shoes that look really nice and not "old lady" shoes. Also Clarks do too but they're not usually as fancy but great for comfort.
    I've found that I'd rather spend a little more on classic styles: they last longer and the quality usually shows... things that are basic....a really good well fitted no-iron "man's-type" white shirt is always a perfect choice, whether with jeans, pants, skirts or a suit. When I find one that fits perfectly, I buy two. No-iron type is important otherwise it'll hang in my laundry room forever because I don't want to iron and don't want to take to the cleaners.
    Like Stacy and Clinton say, it takes work and a lot of time to find the right clothes but once you do find something that's made well, fits well (don't forget alterations, they are a miracle at times) you can slowly build up a wonderful wardrobe. If something really looks good, buy it in different colors, etc.
    You can never ever go wrong with classics. I always think Audrey Hepburn, Grace Kelly and Jackie O, when shopping....simple skirts, well fitted pants, twin sets or lovely cardigan over that man shirt or a uncomplicated silk blouse and you can go anywhere and look like a million bucks.
    Classic styles also always give you the ability to mix and match. Then throw on a single strand of quality faux pearls (necklace, bracelet or earrings) and you're set to go.
    But it takes time and patience. And often a good alteration person. But I've found that less is more and quality really shows and lasts and lasts.
    (sorry, didn't mean to go on and on so much...I just love sharing what I learned)
    Duckyface likes this.

FORT Fogey

My style is funky and edgy and often hard to pull off in Florida. My northeast style is viewed and odd down here. Doesnt matter, I still go forth with my off beat taste. I keep on top of fashion trends and feel I am an educated consumer when it comes to PR.

The problem I have with this show is that we see very little of what these designers can do before the final 3 show at Bryant Park. The challenges are often disappointing because I have little interest in seeing who can create a good outfit from a hardware store or grocery. One of two of these, for fun, I get but there are too many. We don't see their style and taste until they are allowed to design without such limiting contraints. Designing something to go with Heidi's New Balance sneakers? Really? Who cares? Who wears those with anything but jeans or work out clothes?

Julie (had to look that up) who was recently eliminated had very interesting clothes in the premiere. We never got to see her take off and show us that style. I was excited to see it.

I got off topic there for a minute. I feel qualified to critique is my point. We all are, really. It is about what we would like and wear.

Jeff's clothes were among some that I liked and would wear.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I agree that the weird item challenges are interesting up to a point but I don't want to see more than one of them per season. I also don't like the extremely time-limited challenges. It's hard enough to complete an outfit in 24 or 48 hours. It doesn't seem fair to give the contestants only 9 hours to finish a challenge. Then the judges harp on them about the shoddy workmanship of their garments. Well, gee, perhaps if you gave them adequate time to construct their outfits, they could finish off all their hems nicely, tailor the outfit to a tee, and give a bit more thought to the styling and accessories for their look.

I would love to have at least one challenge where the contestants aren't rushed at Mood or are allowed to go back if they need to add additional elements to their designs. Planning the outfit and getting the right materials is such an important part of executing a winning outfit, I wish they were given more time for that. I think part of the reason some contestants give up on challenges is because they bought the wrong fabric or not enough fabric or accessories and feel they can't really do anything with what they have. If they had a chance to get more materials, they might be able to change direction and pull off a better garment.
    Cootie likes this.

FORT Fanatic

There are times when I can't watch PR because I can relate all to well to the workroom! Edited to add: I mostly read the recaps and only watch the show if there is something I really want to see.

I've sewn for about 40 years, have my own sewing-related blog, and just recently formalized my sewing knowledge by earning a custom clothing certificate in a fashion design program at a community college whose students always beat FIDM students in regional design contests.

There were times when I only had 48 hours to complete a garment after it was assigned (and that included having to go down to the fashion district to buy the fabric). A few times I turned in really crappy stuff because things went wrong and I simply ran out of time.

The drama that goes on in the work room completely mirrors the kind of drama that I saw in the sewing labs. On one hand, I can understand the chasm between Bert and the others. Being 30 years older than my classmates, I'd think "Really? Do you really need to engage in all of that drama?" That said, I'm a semi-retired professor so I ended up being a mentor for my classmates.

I'm very much into vintage design. Modern clothes just look like "sluts R us" (as was mentioned above).
    Last edited by JulieAnn; 09-01-2011 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Adding info about watching recaps
    AZChristian likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12