+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: 8/25 Show Discussion **WEST COAST SPOILER**

Re: 8/25 Show Discussion **WEST COAST SPOILER**

Dragonlady I am with you on this. I was so looking forward to my favorite show beginning again but in all honesty this season is horrible so far. The cat fighting remidned me so much or RHW. The 40 to dead comment....yea I take real exception to that remark. My 50 year old AmEx card will be the one purchasing your clothing. That kind of remark will have me running back to Michael Kors.

Everything is just so wrong with this season. The challanges are weird...running a race...REALLY??? The designers are sad, execution is poor & the models can walk a runway to save their butts.
    Duckyface and AZChristian like this.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

FORT Fogey

You know, when this season started, I wondered to myself why everyone seemed so, for lack of a better term, bitchy. In the past, some people may have been annoying, but there were others there to balance them out, and some of the ones who were capable of being rude were also capable of being funny. This episode really confirmed that earlier opinion--there really are very few likable people this season.

I cannot believe Joshua got immunity for a dress that was essentially Anya's design and work. If I were her, I'd have been upset, though she was very gracious about it. In fact, though I'm still suspicious about her supposed four months of sewing ability, I did like her as a person much better in this episode. I got the impression that Joshua's apology may not have been entirely sincere and was, perhaps, somewhat forced by Anya's reaction to it--and that was a very mature reaction. Instead of blasting Josh, she went to console Becky, and she also asked if Becky preferred to be alone or would like some company. I couldn't believe Josh was praised by the panel for being a good leader, when clearly he was not, and for picking one teammate for her design abilities and another for her sewing abilities, when Tim specifically pointed out in the workroom that they should each have a had in the design and construction of the line. This isn't the first time Tim has been outright contradicted by the judges, and frankly, I'm generally with Tim. Finally, I really wanted someone to take Josh down for his "your demographic is forty to death" remark. Considering the fact that that demographic would be about half of a woman's life, and well over half of the time in which a woman would be choosing and buying her own clothes, perhaps it would be wise, as a designer, to think about the fact that not everyone over forty wants to wear "I heart my grandchildren" sweatshirts and polyester pants. Geez, at forty, a woman may still have over twenty years of professional work-related clothing to buy, for instance. I'd really like a challenge where they had to design a line--one casual outfit, one professional work outfit, and one dressy outfit--for a woman over forty to be modeled by an actual woman over forty, not a very thin twenty-something model. A designer who could do that could make a mint, because there are lots of women who need a wardrobe like that who aren't being very well served, particularly in the ready to wear market, which is where most American women can afford to shop.

As for the loser, I agree that the wrong person went home. First, the original thought about the top--a cowl hoodie thing--that used that color was nixed by Heidi. if that had been kept, it's quite possible that tank would have gone under the jacket and the line would have looked better and more cohesive. Beyond that, it was a Heidi centered challenge--she was essentially the client and she preferred the tank to the hopeless piece of hideousness that Ryan Anthony constructed. And, as Heidi pointed out, they are supposed to be judging challenge by challenge--they should not be changing the rules as they go along. Oh, yeah, and Ryan Anthony was a horrible leader. He did focus too much on the argument with Bert, and even though I have issues with Bert's attitude too, he is the only one of the three who pulled together what looked like a decently designed and sewn garment. It wasn't especially right for the challenge but neither were those of his teammates, so they all had that problem. The guest judge agreed with Heidi, so it was a tie. Since it was a challenge regarding Heidi's own line, surely she should have had the tie-breaker vote, but once again she was over-ridden by Nina and Michael, and you can tell she's getting bloody well sick of it. If they continue to let Nina and Michael gang up to push through their choices, even after the disaster that was Wretchen's win, they may very well lose not only viewers but Heidi and perhaps Tim as well, since Nina and Michael appear to be on a completely different page from him too.

I suspect the double winner was a compromise so that Nina and Michael could keep Ryan Anthony around, despite his turning out what may be one of the most revolting outfits to come down that runway. But they shouldn't be compromising. They should be following the rules. If they can't, then they need to establish a clearly defined process for breaking a tie, especially since they keep having them. I don't think Tim would want the job, since he might view it as a conflict of interest with his mentoring position with the designers (and he just might prefer to stay out of the cattiness of judging when it gets down to a tie). Maybe the solution is simply to have a fifth judge. I don't know. But something has to change, because what's happening is just plain inappropriate--Nina and Michael, who tend to agree with each other, are simply bullying their point of view forward, even if it runs completely against the original concept of the show or what they themselves have said two minutes beforehand. I also wish someone would tell Michael that he's trying way too hard to come up with a funny comment every time he opens his mouth, and as a result, he's failing about 75% of the time and is just sounding mean-spirited. As for Nina, I think Heidi's about two minutes away from throttling her for the superior attitude she takes toward Heidi every time she disagrees with her.

Oh, yeah, and I don't understand why Viktor got to choose who got to come back. Every other time someone has had to drop out or has chosen to drop out, whoever was eliminated most recently is the person who returned. If she didn't want to come back, then it should have been the person prior to that. But to just let one designer choose? Why? I'm sure when Cecelia left, she assumed Julie would be returning and that she was giving up her place to the person she felt should have stayed when she was chosen by the judges instead. Certainly the viewers would have reason to assume that. But that wasn't the case.

Lifetime has not managed this show well since it took it over. Bravo did a much better job with it.
    pikachu and AZChristian like this.

I was surprised they didn't bring Julie back. I don't mind Josh C, but I am perplexed by him. Maybe I am mis-remembering, but I could have sworn in the intro show he talked about his Mormon background and that he wanted to someday marry a nice girl, settle down, and start a family. However, he has got to be one of the most effeminate men I have ever seen on this show. Am I completely crazy?

I also thought other Josh got the credit for what was essentially Anya's dress. I personally hated that silly athletic stripe they slapped on the front of it. I did like Victor's outfit though, the jacket looked very well made and I thought the dress underneath was cute.

I thought I was going to like Burt early on in the season, but now he grates on my last nerve! Yes, he did have the best outfit among his team. However, I wanted to smack the stupid smirk of his face that he got whenever they bashed his teammates outfits. I agree that the contestants this year are not very likable. I was glad that Josh apologized to Becky, but I didn't think it was completely sincere. Anya handled that situation much better.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    I was surprised they didn't bring Julie back. I don't mind Josh C, but I am perplexed by him. Maybe I am mis-remembering, but I could have sworn in the intro show he talked about his Mormon background and that he wanted to someday marry a nice girl, settle down, and start a family. However, he has got to be one of the most effeminate men I have ever seen on this show. Am I completely crazy?
    No - someone can be effeminate and be straight. I know many men who exhibit some feminine traits - higher pitched voice than even some tenors, likes for pinks and other unusual colors, and are quite hetereosexual.

I thought I was going to like Burt early on in the season, but now he grates on my last nerve! Yes, he did have the best outfit among his team. However, I wanted to smack the stupid smirk of his face that he got whenever they bashed his teammates outfits. I agree that the contestants this year are not very likable. I was glad that Josh apologized to Becky, but I didn't think it was completely sincere. Anya handled that situation much better.
    I think to a point Bert had a reason to smirk - here you have two contestants throwing him under the bus in front of Heidi and the judges, and then they basically get what they dished out.

That said, the smirk has got to go because there are better designers and he will not get a pass just because of a "poor widdle me" issue with age.

He's a decent designer, but if he doesn't change the attitude he won't make it much farther.

(BTW, I didn't realize I had the name wrong on the guy who should've been eliminated - Ryan Anthony. Thanks all for clearing that up).

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

My position hasn't changed: I HATE team challenges. Design by committee rarely produces good results (especially when there is so little time for collaboration).

I think Heidi, as the client, should have had the biggest say in choosing the winner(s), but I'm fine with choosing the loser being a committee decision. I do think the judges should take past performance into account when deciding who between the bottom two for the week should go home because I hate seeing a good designer be sent home over one bad design (especially when it's a team challenge or the one of the challenges where they have to use something like car parts or plants). [I'm talking in general here - not about this challenge in particular - I remember some of "blouse girl's" past designs, but don't recall Ryan Anthony's work.]

I wish they'd do away with team challenges altogether - and the really wacky challenges too. I much prefer the challenges where they have to design for a particular client (whether it's a celebrity, girls going to a prom, the postal service, or women and their dogs), design from an inspiration (e.g., Jackie O or NYC), or a particular class of clothing (e.g., resort wear, professional office wear).

I don't mind Burt but it was hard to see him not get along with two of my favorite contestants, although, I thought they were dead wrong in how they chose to handled Burt. Clearly, not a one of them, as most of the others this season, can be considered "people person(s)."

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by watts View Post
    I agree. Julie should have returned. I agree with what Bert said that this current group is clique-y and it felt unfair that they opted for Josh C. and not Julie because it would have been the fair thing to do.
    I thought that the 3rd place captain should have had a choice to take Bert OR go with 2 (which ended up being pick the returning person)...rather than getting "stuck" with Bert, then Victor getting to PICK a returner (bigger advantage I thought).

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    The eliminated contestant shouldn't have been eliminated. I think given that Josh C. got to return they wanted to give him a "fair chance" which really? - absolutely HORRID outfit and if anyone else would've eliminated them.

The eliminated contestant's grevious "error"? - mixing fabrics. I'd rather have a mixup like that but it still look decently made (The top did look decent) than what looked like a badly sewn/wrapped Toga that someone gave the model a wedgie in.

...however, there was a much worse design out there by a designer who had a horrid over the top attitude toward another designer and he's saved because of two ninnies who think retrofashion is fashion forward (as they overruled Heidi on the winner of last season).
    I thought if they were not sending Anthony Ryan home (which based on that challenge is clear, and I agree with Heidi as I did last season too) then the right designer went home. Danielle's top was the same as we'd seen 3 weeks in a row from her...this should have been something different, anything. I didn't like how any of her blouses "hung" on the body like they were unfinished or didn't fit the model's body right.

I think Heidi needs to have an extra vote!

FORT Fogey

If they had made it clear in the rules/concept that the track record for each designer would be the basis on which a designer was auf'd, I'd be fine with that, but that's not the case. As Heidi pointed out, the show even touts the fact that one minute you're in and the next you're out. Plenty of designers whom most people expected to make it to the finals were auf'd in the last possible challenge because of one design, going all the way back to the first season. I don't think many people expected Wendy to be in the finale over Austin. If they'd considered the complete season's work, Austin probably would have beaten Wendy for that third spot in the finale.

If they had planned on changing the rules this season, then they should have changed them--and made it clear that they had changed them. I actually wouldn't have minded that at all, since I've long felt that track records in shows like Project Runway, Top Chef etc. should count for something, as anyone can have a single bad day. But that's not how they've worked in the past. If that's going to change, then make it clear that it has changed. Otherwise, it's not fair to the designers or their models--who this season seem to be dumped when their designers lose, even if someone else might wish to work with that model over the one he/she was assigned. What's with that unexplained rule change?

Realistically, I suspect the designer who was in and the one who was out also had a lot to do with production. There's more drama to be had by keeping someone who has an obvious clash with another contestant. Personally, I don't need the drama, but it's pretty obvious that Lifetime thinks it's a good idea to have it.

I'm also with those who are annoyed with this season's overkill with unusual or team challenges right from the beginning. Have we had even one challenge yet where the designers are working as individuals with fabrics of their choice from Mood? Mix it up a bit. Don't keep doing weird materials/team challenges one right after another. I don't mind including them, but not without a break at some point. There are other ways to challenge the designers than by forcing them to work with unconventional materials or each other.
    Duckyface likes this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Photos from this week's episode:

P.S. If the pictures I'm posting are too large, just let me know and I can reduce them.

Team Joshua

Team Bryce

Team Anthony

Team Viktor

Last edited by pikachu; 08-26-2011 at 02:58 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast