+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: 8/18 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 8/18 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I hated Victor's dress the shoulders looked awful. Or maybe it was the way his model wore it but she looked like she had no neck.
    Victor's model has a really bad walk and is one of the worst of the lot. That dress had a good design but looked like a Mugler or a Balenciaga. That's prolly one of the reasons Anthony has not won a challenge yet, yet he was at top 3 a couple times. He (Anthony)seems to reference (more like copy) current designers quite a bit.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000 View Post
    I didn't have a problem with Anya getting help, there isn't a rule against it and she wasn't the only one who was helped. I found it interesting that Negative Nelly (Victor) singled Anya out and made some comment about how she didn't make half her outfit (really? Sewing a COLLAR is half an outfit?) and yet not one word was said about the help Cecilia (or was it Julie? I'm getting people mixed up!) received. Heck, they were gluing her garment together! If anybody had half their garment completed by somebody else then it would be Cecilia (or Julie, can't remember which one right now).
    Anya actually got help from 3 people (as she said at the lounge) and her jumpsuit was easier to do. Julie's OTOH had a more complex garment. A bigger collar could have saved it. The smaller collar just drew attention to the askew design (even though it was part of the vision, it made it look like a mistake). When it called for the top/bottom 6, I thought that was a contender (other designers thought it was , too). I thought the winning design was going to be in the bottom 3.

I actually love this season's designers because they are in the know (they know the current trends and designs) and a lot have better taste levels that past season's and have better sewing skills. Given the time limits, I'm amazed at what some of them come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by watts View Post
    Victor's model has a really bad walk and is one of the worst of the lot. That dress had a good design but looked like a Mugler or a Balenciaga. That's prolly one of the reasons Anthony has not won a challenge yet, yet he was at top 3 a couple times. He (Anthony)seems to reference (more like copy) current designers quite a bit.
    Is he the one that Nina said is referencing too much and that he needs to be careful and develop his own vision? I can't remember which one she said that too.

About Anya, she's set up for people to not like her. I just don't have a problem with her. Right now, Bert is the only one I don't like which really is sort of amazing. Usually there are at least half of them that I want gone by now. The rest? While sort of boring and seemingly unable to sew a straight line, are sort of nice people and I'm enjoying watching them.

Oh, almost forgot the lady with the short, white hair. She's on my radar (as is Victor) as ones I will grow to really dislike as the season progresses. There is some stealth nastiness to those two that is just being hinted at right now.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I have to agree with a lot of the above posters as I have seen nothing to really impress me about any of the designers. Was there no talent available for this season?
    I actually think this season's cast has talent and taste (to boot) and knows current trends (some copycats, actually) and some trend-setters. I'm also impressed with fabric choices (in terms of taste and difficulty) and sewing skills.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    My entry for snarky comment of the day: This season has such poor designers that Gretchen would actually have DESERVED to win had this been her competition.

(I really crack myself up sometimes.)
    Actually, Gretchen DESERVED to win her season based on the final collections. The other 2 collections were atrocious and badly styled.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    My critiques:

Cecilia: I don’t know why Cecilia wasn’t sent home this week. She completely gave up on the challenge and cobbled together this awful ensemble. I don’t know what her excuse for not dying the fabric was. If Anya was able to get dye, why couldn’t she? I thought the designers had dye provided but maybe I’m wrong. Even so, if the designers had to bring their own dye or buy it, Cecilia should have done so as a backup plan.
    Totally agree with you and disagree with the judges keeping her. Cecilia's dress was actually the worst looking and she practically gave up. She should have just stopped Heidi and told her that she's quitting whether they keep her or not to save her friend, Julie from getting eliminated. I was very surprised she didn't go home or ask to go home. I think they eliminated Julie because she's been in the bottom 3 many times? That's the only reason I can think of. Hopefully, Cecilia goes home next.
    Duckyface likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by watts View Post
    Actually, Gretchen DESERVED to win her season based on the final collections. The other 2 collections were atrocious and badly styled.
    Funny, I had the exact opposite reaction, that Gretchen deserved 3rd place over the other two designers.
    Allie and AZChristian like this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I want Kimberly outfit because it was awesome (thought it looked good on Nina). Cecilia is a great tailor, she just needs to chill because she is so hard on herself. I think the right person went home. That coat dress OMG I can't stop laughing about it because it was just ugly! I agree with some of the posters about the models. Some of them just cannot walk.
    Shoepie likes this.

Originally Posted by watts
    Gretchen won because hers was ready to wear and Michael Kors and Nina Garcia somehow loved the designs. Heidi knew that this was current trend, not future trend. (I personally have seen ideas Mondo had take shape into current fashion, not Gretchen's).

That said, Kors has since bastardized one of Gretchen's ideas and taken it as his own (the granny panties), and Gretchen's outfits/jewelry have definitely taken on a '70s vibe. In fact, her fundraiser jewelry I have seen similar patterns from the '70s and '80s... almost very similar.

That said, Gretchen is the current holder of the title. I feel that just about anyone left in the current season - and some who have left - have better ideas and skills IMHO than Gretchen did. I think they're trying to have a better winner this season, and realized that people are not buying the previous season's winner's outfits.

Honestly, if I had $500 to spend on one of the past two seasons winners gear? - it's automatically go to Seth Aaron because I can get or make just about everything that Gretchen makes. I can't on SA. (And honestly save one or two pieces, this'd held true if Mondo won).
    Allie and AZChristian like this.

Quote Originally Posted by princess07 View Post
    I want Kimberly outfit because it was awesome (thought it looked good on Nina). Cecilia is a great tailor, she just needs to chill because she is so hard on herself. I think the right person went home. That coat dress OMG I can't stop laughing about it because it was just ugly! I agree with some of the posters about the models. Some of them just cannot walk.
    I personally liked the coat dress, but... a. it'd been better as a coat with a simple dress underneath, b. it needed to be in prettier colors, and c. it needed to be fit better. The idea was actually quite good.

There was someone though who I've read who mentioned they thought Bryce's outfit looked like a Sandman's outfit in "Logan's Run." Looking at it, I have to agree actually... it would've made a nice outfit for a female Sandman if they had them in the movie.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast