+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: 8/18 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 8/18 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

All I kept thinking about the whole time was the SNL skit "Don't bore Nina!". I like the design that won, it was very Nina. And agree Cecelia should have gone home instead of Julie. Cecelia just acted like she didn't care and really didn't want to be there. They will probably get her next time.
    I didn't think it was fair Anya got all this praise for her design when how many people helped her with it.
    I wonder why they aren't changing up the models like they usually do?

I loved Kimberly's outfit - It looked perfect on Nina, well designed, beautiful colors on her and was something that could easily be photographed for the magazine.

I also love the fact that unlike Anthony's (couple seasons back) blue dress won, Nina did NOT edit the outfit - or if she did it was barely and hard to notice, compared to the one worn by Heidi's. Plus, you can see more of the actual design from what I can tell on the taxi ads.

Julie's dress to me was not deserving to go home compared to Cecilia. Julie at least seriously attempted to create a unique dress while Cecilia gave up. The colors WERE bad and the fit wasn't quite what Nina would wear, but I liked the idea of the inserts of color here and there. That said, I'd take someone who tried and failed over a person who gave up in this contest - at least for one more chance. Then again - a speculation bug is getting me on the last scenes of this episode, but I will not discuss out of respect for those who haven't seen the episode.

The black dresses - both Victor's and Bert's - to me were sheer snoozefests.

The green chiffon jacket outfit IMHO was also horrid. It was a repeat of a similar design, it was badly made and seriously, it was also a snoozefest.

Anya's skills are going to catch up with her - she was very lucky there were designers willing to help her. I have a weird feeling from seeing this clip in the ep. that we may see from her or one of these designers actually NOT have something walk down the runway.

Not a bad episode - it was nice to actually see them doing a serious designing event instead of gimmicks.
    pikachu likes this.

Just watched. I cringed how they were praising Anya on her quick thinking, Uh. It WAS NOT HER IDEA TO DYE THE FABRIC! And her sewing help. I was not surprised she did not out herself. It is a competition. Kind of wondering why they would help her so much. OK, she seems cute and nice. But it is a competition!

FORT Fogey

I think that they need a rule on PR that you cannot help another designer with his/her garment unless it is a team challenge, where his/her performance could affect your own safety in the competition. Offering your opinion on a garment when asked is one thing. Actually helping someone construct his/her garment is another entirely. I don't think any of the designers who helped Anya were doing it thinking that if they could help her out, someone else they disliked might go home instead. I think they were just trying to help out someone they considered a friend. However, it's still fundamentally unfair for one contestant to get that much help getting into the top three. I suspect that's why Anya didn't mention all the help she had while on the runway. She knew how it would be perceived. It was nice of her to thank those that helped her once she got offstage, but that doesn't change the fact that she got into the top three with help, unbeknownst to the judges.

As for the top three, I didn't think Victor's dress was all that much, and I think it would make a woman's hips look bigger (and who needs that). Out of the two black dresses, I preferred Bert's, even if it wasn't really a work dress. Aside from all the help that Anya got, I don't see how a jumpsuit is practical for work unless Nina can go eight to ten hours without using a restroom. I did think the outfit that won made sense for the challenge and looked good on Nina. I also liked the green dress and the second of the two dresses made out of the same material.

In terms of the bottom two, I think Cecilia should have gone home instead of Julie. Cecelia's design didn't show much effort at all, and she did seem to give up once she realized the material she thought was purple was grey. Julie's dress wasn't great either, but it had better potential as a design. I think Julie's problem may be that she's just not someone who works quickly, and the speed at which they have to design and sew on PR is not typical of the way that's handled in the real world. I'm sure Michael Kors doesn't have to whip out garments in two days all by himself. Julie's rack of clothes, that was pretty impressive, may have been something she developed much more slowly but still fast enough for normal design circumstances.

FORT Fogey

I liked the winning outfit, very much. And I like Nina too. I have never had an issue with any of the judges.

It takes time to get into this show and since it is my favorite I am patient. So far I find this season dull. Kimberly is my favorite because of her win this week and her personality.

I don't think Anya will get any more help. It is clear that she is creative and any help with the technical side will help her to the top 3! She is likely to fail in construction sooner than later. And I don't believe she has been totally honest in saying she just learned to sew. She has clearly had experience in pattern making; many struggle with pants and she pulls them off flawlessly. Fishy

I had to dvr this episode since I was gone until late. I plan to watch over the weekend and can't wait! Spoil away though!!
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

So if Anya makes it to the finals, will they have someone from production sit there and watch her to make sure SHE sews the garments for the runway? She admitted going in that she had "a lot of help" in putting together her audition pieces. And she got "a lot of help" last night for the one garment she had to present. How would you feel if you were one of the helpers and you got eliminated while she was still there? Can she design? Yep. But part of this show is your ability to sew as well. Something tells me that this is going to become a dramatic issue sometime during the season - probably when Viktor is about to be eliminated and complains.

[QUOTE=straycat80;4365708]All I kept thinking about the whole time was the SNL skit "Don't bore Nina!". QUOTE]

Don't bore Nina...I am sorry but Nina wears boring clothes!

Now that you mentioned SNL, I finally figured out who Julie reminded me of, Molly Shannon playing Mary Katherine Gallagher!

I absolutely loved the winning outfit but probably would prefer the top to be in a different fabric. That gold one looks like it could be itchy.

I for one really liked Bert's LBD. I did like the green dress but it was a bit too green for me & a bit sheer too high up. I did like Danielle's green blouse. I was not at all in like with Anya's cat suit. No way would I picture Nina wearing that even to bed.
    Last edited by PA Snow Bunny; 08-19-2011 at 11:05 AM.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Here are the pictures of this week's fashions:

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Woops, double post.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast