+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: 10/28 show discussion **SPOILERS**

Re: 10/28 show discussion **SPOILERS**

Ok. I think I figured it out what the fix was.

In this interview, Gretchen says

Portland designer Gretchen Jones on new 'Project Runway' season Thursday | OregonLive.com

Q: How did you get on "Project Runway"?

A: A few boutiques nominated me, and "Project Runway" approached me. I auditioned in late April in Seattle. Filming began in early June in New York

Ok. She was approached. I thought most contestants wanted to apply. So, they came looking for her.

" I use natural fibers and try to impact my environment by making things to order; I don't over-produce. I also try to sustain the economy that supports me."

Ok. Sustainable living, recycled fabrics, organic fabrics and all that is "IN". I don't remember what she made her clothes from but if she used recycled fabrics, hemp fabrics and such then this what Kors and Nina were raving about. Not her fashion nor ability to design but the use of the fabrics. They can say see Project Runway supports the Sustainable Community.

Now, I am alllll for hemp clothes, organic cotton and such but Gretchen's collection is not worthy of showcasing it and presenting it to the world through Fasion. Yes, recycled fabrics have limitations just like recycled toilet paper. Vibrant colors may not be possible but the prints selected in her collection are inexcusable.

If this was the fix, then the spokesperson selected is not worthy of bringing attention to that industry. Her use of these fabrics are disgusting. I love hemp sweaters. I love natural & minimally processed fabrics. I need natural fibers and natural dyes without all the chemicals and formaldehyde and such. I'm an "organic" nut too. Heck, no one wants to be poisoned by their clothes, furniture and carpet, etc. But, I don't need my natural fabrics to be fashioned using ugly patterns & designs which are unflattering.

This is why she was picked. She can be the posterchild for sustainable living and organic fashion. Fashion & design had nothing to do with it. Innovation on her part may be using recycled leather on those pants. The end result was ugly but ooo! she incorporated reused leather and that fits in with the sustainable living folks were are try to impress.

I bet this is why Heidi bowed down to K & N because they were convincing her that sustainable fashion is what's new and upcoming. So, don't focus on Gretchen's boring look but focus on the materials she used. We can push this agenda and all make a lot of money. We can make it work!

And so, Gretchen was crowned.

Note: was it Yuri that was a sustainable designers some seasons back? There was a "natural" designer before that they tore to shreads. Now, they are on the bandwagon.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;4093271;
    It now makes total sense to me why JC Penny is a sponsor of this show.
    This was another thing I was going to check out. Who were the sponsors? If Gretchen was hand picked from the beginning (which she obviously was) then it must benefit the sponsors. I don't think they need to create line at their stores but can use her win to finally get rid of all the unsold merchandise from their stores.

Retail stores are closing up shop. The poor fashion buyers selections are still hanging on the racks and with the downfall of the economy. Folks are not spending their limited funds on the clothes in the stores. So, if they market this retro bohemian look as what's new(though it really is old and was just done again a few years back) perhaps they can offload the junk they have warehoused. Perhaps these clothes can be ripped apart and recycled and resold in 2011.

The fix is in.

Politics (there are sustainable grants being pushed in my state), the state of the economy, corporate control, investors, sponsors, and such are all behind this "reality tv" show. High fashion is not in demand because most ordinary non celebs are broke! Out of work. Depressed. Heck, the Queen of England is canceling her posh Christmas party so her financially strapped subjects won't think she's rubbing her wealth in their faces.

Ok. I'm done ranting.

yup, that's it.

Green eco-friendly design

why was this removed?
    http://www.ecorazzi.com/2010/08/05/p...-green-fashion

I had to webcache it.

Project Runway?s Gretchen Jones A Shining Beacon Of Green Fashion ecorazzi.com :: the latest in green gossip

See, I never went through the effort of researching the designers. It's all making sense in hindsight.

To the Point

Green fashion may be the latest and greatest in fashion, however, her designs just don't seem very "fashion-forward" to me. I'm not the young, hip crowd, however, I do live a college heavy area and we have over 600 college students who attend our church. These young people would not be caught dead in those designs now or ten years from now. When going green doesn't look so "granola" then it can be called "fashion forward". I know lots of people from all segments of society and can't name one who would buy her looks.

JMO:

Andy: I actually really liked his collection. I like simple, clean, monotone or twotone clothes and Andy's delivered in that area. I loved the simple dress with the fringe (or chains(??) as Jessica said). I do think Andy strayed too far from the stuff he showed during the season. I never thought I'd say I liked his stuff because it was way too 'out there' for me, but he really toned it down on the runway. Unfortunately for him, this became his undoing (although he gained a fan in me).

Gretchen: Her style is just way too hippydippy for me and too BROWN. How dull. It wasn't a runway show- there was no excitement. I think I like one outfit from the whole collection and I still wouldn't buy it due to the dreadful color. I do think she won because of the 'nature' (literally) of her designs and that's what is PC these days. I also noticed one of the first thing she mentioned after she won was about the money. Yes, we know you're broke homeless, and recently single, etc, etc- enough about it! I was surprised when they flashed back to her win in week 1 with the little black dress with the capped sleeves. I loved that dress and had forgotten about it. It seems after week 1 she turned into some other designer and that dress went with nothing else the rest of the season.

Mondo: Of course he was the obvious favorite to win, so of course he wasn't going to. Grrrrrr! I thought his show was a little too color-less (for Mondo at least). His aesthetic isn't my style at all, but I really appreciated the way he put colors and prints together and his clothes always looked finished. I think he needed more color in his collection, but I think it did how the WOW factor of a runway show, albeit a little more quiet wow than usually.

I personally missed the evening gowns. I usually like the finale because we get to see BIG designs and evening gowns (did they do an evening gown challenge this season??) and I thought they were noticably missing at this runway show. I think they needed Micheal C in the finale for those. Mistake not including him in the final 3.

Overall I think it was a fairly dull runway show. Mostly gray and toned down from Andy, mostly brown and granola from Gretchen, and mostly quiet and colorless from Mondo. Yup, I'm a bit disappointed.

FORT Fogey

I love this show and will continue to watch as long as they produce it! This was not a favorite season of mine and I found it curious that Tim and Heidi were so sentimental about this group.

A lot of contestants are recruited for reality shows these days. It is clear they wanted a green designer since that is a current trend, thus Gretchen.

I think the 4th judge is a formality and Michael, Nina and Heidi have the final say if it comes to that. And just for the record there is no way Jessica would look good in any of Mondo's clothes, they are for a very tall thin woman! Jessica has a beautiful figure but not for his clothes.

Mondo. I adore the guy and his talent is clear. Interesting that Michael said he needed a simple black dress. That is exactly the item he decided not to use! His model was correct when she told him it would be a breather. Wisely put. I wonder if he had eliminated the head gear and kept the plain black dress if he would have won.

Andy. His line was very pretty but it was clear from the start that it was not strong enough to win. I agree that it did not have a current feel. It was a huge departure from his hard hitting vixen creations on the show!

Gretchen. I liked her collection okay. I am not outraged that she won. Brown is my least favorite color so I cannot rave about it but the line of her pieces were beautiful.

April. She is the winner in my book! I looked at the slide show of all contestants who showed that day and she was far and away the best!

Glad this lackluster season is over. I really thought Mondo would win. I was shocked by Gretchen winning it. I thought her clothes were hippydippy granola boring. And why didn't anyone say anything about those granny panties?!
    Andy had some good pieces but everything was gray and that pukey green. And I didn't get the Xmas ornament bobbles on the model's heads.
    Mondo's designs to me were a little too over the top advant garde. Not my taste but I still thought he would have won because the judges had liked him all season.

Well I guess Nina and Michael went with the Softer Side of Sears and chose Gretchen as the winner. Gretchen was the most boring cheap line of clothing I've seen on Project Runway. It looked like something you would find at the Swap Meet on Creenshaw Blvd in LA. The only person that would look good on beside Gretchen is Rachel Zoe. Rachel likes wearing too big clothes that don't make sense.

On another note, I can't believe that they picked Gretchen as the winner because she had a ready to wear collection, but dis Emillo last seasn for that same reason. And his designs were way way better this Gretchen. Boy they really contradicted themselves this year. I be willing to see how high fashion boutiques actually placed an order for her stuff. And Bute Montanna does not count. Okay I'm done being angry, now on to some good news.

I was so happy and thrilled to see Anthony in the audience. I wish I could get his feedback on the show. I'd probably couldn't eat or drink from laughing too hard. Love you Anthony!!!!

FORT Fogey

I had the baseball game on, but caught the three runway shows. The one color of Andy's collection ( along with the ugly green) surprised me since that was their reason for booting Michael. Gretchen's collection was so ordinary and the granny panties were almost embarrassing being so ugly---and at least twice she showed that style??

I didn't wait to hear the winner, so I found it here and was shocked. This traversty was second only to Jeffrey's win. He, while a vile and ugly person, at least put out a runway worth collection. Her collection contradicted everthing the judges have said about fashion through the years of hearing their comments. I guess we will look for the Gretchen collection at JC Penny?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by straycat80;4093404;
    Glad this lackluster season is over.
    Funny. I really enjoyed it. I liked the 90 minute format a great deal. I was a little disappointed that we didn't get the traditional reunion format, though.

That part could have gone longer.

My only problem with Gretchen's win is that the criteria for winning seemed to change this season - and out of the blue.

I want to see high fashion on the runway - not upscale ready wear. I like Gretchen and her work, but for what this show is known for, Mondo should have won.

I don't get it.

+ Reply to Thread