+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 10/21 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 10/21 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by canuck;4090689;
    Odd, but I think I'm the only one who loved the color of the top -- great juxtaposition with the prints.
    I think what gets me about the color is that it just felt a tad too bright with the print.

Then again saying this I'm mixing odd prints and solid diachroic glass now in my fused glass work, and I can see where Mondo gets his ideas from. There's a piece here that almost fits the broad spectrum of that outfit - a bright solid piece and two more subtle prints.

Kao

Quote Originally Posted by raisinthesun;4089233;

I did want to comment on Michael's home visit. First did anyone find it odd that it was his partner that outed him? And what his partner (sorry i cant remember his name) said about his mom, wasnt that kind of rude? Now of course i dont know his family or anything but i found it very odd and rude for him to say that the only reason M.C.'s family was supporting him was b/c of the show and then to reveal that he was the one that brought M.C. out of the closet....isn't it up the individual to decide when they are comfortable to come out the closet? IDK, things just felt a little off.

Also why isn't M.C.'s daughter being shown? According to the Lifetime website he has a son AND daughter.
    Yes, yes and YES! I see major control issues. Outing someone to their family is a bitch move from the depths of hell and Michael should have given him the gate the second he did it. Also, Michael's dad gave him the seed money for his business so I have no idea what the BF talking about. Poor Michael needs to give a good portion of the people in his life a sayonara and just start over.

Michael has custody of the son, ex-wife has custody of the daughter. The ex has issues with his 'lifestyle" so he cannot see his daughter (which also means that she cannot see her own brother). A sad state of affairs all around.

I almost feel sorry for Gretchen. As a creative, I can understand how innner struggles/turmoil/stress can effect your work for good or bad depending on how you channel it, and in this case it was to the negative. The only thing in her collection I liked was the first item (the cute little dress). It didn't look African or "world inspired" or anything; it was pure misery made into cloth. :/
    Last edited by Kao; 10-27-2010 at 04:50 PM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by canuck;4090689;
    Odd, but I think I'm the only one who loved the color of the top -- great juxtaposition with the prints.
    Make that two of us. The material was a bit too elastic looking but the colors were great.

After reading all these posts, I want to add my 2 cents in here.

1.Gretchen: In the begining, I thought she was very talented, but unnecessarily mean and unkind but then as the show continued, her designs just weren't that good. There's no doubt in my mind that she didn't belong in the final 3. I also disliked her "poor me" attitude at the end. I previously criticized Mondo for playing the sympathy card so now I'm doing the same for Gretchen. I think people should win on their own merits, not from pity.
    I just think she shouldn't be in the final because she wasn't that good. Saying that Lifetime didn't want all male finalists, just doesn't seem reason enough for her going thru. Saying her designs were crunchy granola was being kind. They were downright ugly.

2. Michael C: He's still an enigma to me. He presents this sweet lovely guy but so many other designers really disliked him and there must have been a reason if many thought that. I didn't like his "poor me" attitude after he was eliminated. He's far too old to cry over his parents' reaction to his life. It was way over the top to me. Reading about him on other sites and here, it seems to me that his mother mostly dislikes his boyfriend, more than she dislikes his life choices. And if his boyfriend "outed" him to his parents, then he appears to be someone I wouldn't like either. What a lousy thing to do!!But Michael is talented and he'll make it as a designer but he does need to grow up.

3. After seeing Andy's home, family and background, I found new respect for him altho he does make his clothes too short. He's exceptionally talented but I think he needs more time and seasoning.

4. I previously said I didn't like Mondo playing the sympathy card and I still don't but I also said he is extraordinairly talented and probably the best one. I don't always like what he designs, having come from a "matchy-match" background but I can see excellence in his designs so I wouldn't be surprised, nor disappointed to see him win this season.

Just an FYI that the season finale on October 28, 2010 will be 2 hours long.

I hope Tim Gunn will start posting his Vblog again, he gives so much background info that really explains the wackiness of what goes on in this show.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

I don't have a favorite this season and really don't care who wins. This is a first for me!

I am with you thedragonlady on most of what you said.

There has to be a reason, that we were not shown, as to why Michael C was so disliked. It makes no sense. As for him hysterical about his parents reaction, all I have to say is, wow. He probably has good reason to fear them. They were not shown in the home visit and that is notable. He is young so still totally hooked on their reaction. Him being gay is part of this drama, for sure.

I am not fond of Mondo's designs but I do love mismatched prints that work together. Too much houndstooth and his clothes seem like "outfits." I do dislike and outfit. Seperates that look like you effortlessly put them together from your closet is the way to go, for me.

Gretchen made some good things in the begining but seemed to lose it toward the end. Her style is not runway and that is going to kill her. The judges will see it as off the rack clothing. She got nailed on her 11th dress for just that.

FORT Fogey

Thanks for this link. I think April's collection is far and away the best of the lot. What a huge departure from her work on the show! If the judges had gotten a glimpse of this she would be in the finals for sure.

FORT Fogey

I'm just really curious why there is not much glamour in ANY of the collections shown. They all seem to be day wear with one or two exceptions. Was that intentional? Or, is that all this lot could rise up to?

FORT Fogey

Jexter, it is a sign of the times. There is a trend to more casually styled evening wear these days with crystals or beads to create a dressy look. Award shows will always do gowns but they are showing a lot of evening shorts and short jumpsuits. Shorter dresses are more prevalent as well. I think the strapless or one shouldered evening gown is tired.

Kao

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;4092793;
    I'm just really curious why there is not much glamour in ANY of the collections shown. They all seem to be day wear with one or two exceptions. Was that intentional? Or, is that all this lot could rise up to?
    It's because Lifetime seems more preoccupied with "personalities" rather than talent, while Bravo made sure of both. I'm going to give this show one more try next season, and if they still don't get it right I'm gone.

+ Reply to Thread