+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 10/21 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 10/21 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by watts;4089118;
    I know I'm in the minority (am I?) but of the 3 collections, I liked Gretchen's the best. I was underwhelmed by her collection when I initially saw it but I see a point of view and in comparison with the other 2 finalists, it is a better collection. And I thought Michael C.'s collection was better than Andy's.
    Gretchen can design, but right now I feel she has more of a Gordana vibe - a better sewer than a true designer.

And just because Gretchen has been critical about Michael C.'s work, it doesn't mean that she can't feel genuine concern for Michael.

And I thought Mondo's collection was too mish-mashy (like Kenley's) and that's the only thing that's tying it into a collection.
    I'm not quite feeling Gretchen's concern for Michael - to a point. While I do think she was genuinely concerned that he was going to have some health issues from losing, she had to feel like she was seen as the better designer because she won out in that battle. Remember, she felt twice that Michael shouldn't have won challenges because he wasn't the better designer and was rather bitter about the wins.

Mondo's collection is a mish-mash, but to be fair, it feels that way due to the fact he mixes his prints. There is a cohesion IMHO between his three pieces, even if he did choose the wrong color for the top on his challenge piece.

Must agree with most here, Gretchen's outfits were wretched. Although she could design for the "everyday woman"...this show is about FASHION designing there is nothing that says FASHION in what she has put down that runway...she is only "IN" to avoid an all male finale`.

That being said, Mondo is great at design and the "runway" show...Andy needs to go home already and Michael C was one melting mess. Although I love when he designs simple elegant clothing his unicolor collection was the last straw for him. (When he said he had "some grey"..I thought ..he just doesn't get it...)

I am not looking forward to Andy's creations...I can't wait to see what Mondo puts down the runway...and HOPE that Gretchen makes something "runway" worthy...

Till next week...

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;4089249;
    This is the only one I can help you with. They have to sign waivers to be shown on TV, and in the case of a minor (as I'm assuming here is the case) it has to be BOTH parents.

There is a good chance that the mother half of the parenting chose to not approve it because she disagrees with Michael's lifestyle, didn't want her child to be exposed to the media, or another reason and therefore they couldn't show her.

(I sadly have to say too it could be HIS parents who pressured her into saying "no" to the airing to try and make him look ugly for some reason.)
    I read that the daughter lives with the mother and Michael isn't even allowed to visit her -- has nothing to do with the show.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    Tom Hanks - A League of Their Own

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;4089253;
    I'm not quite feeling Gretchen's concern for Michael - to a point. While I do think she was genuinely concerned that he was going to have some health issues from losing, she had to feel like she was seen as the better designer because she won out in that battle. Remember, she felt twice that Michael shouldn't have won challenges because he wasn't the better designer and was rather bitter about the wins..
    But isn't that a valid view to have since she is in competition with these people? If she doen't believe in herself, then who will. She might as well just pack up and leave and give up her dream.

Mondo's collection is a mish-mash, but to be fair, it feels that way due to the fact he mixes his prints. There is a cohesion IMHO between his three pieces, even if he did choose the wrong color for the top on his challenge piece.
    I thought that that look was just a rehash of his Jackie Kennedy look.

FORT Fogey

I'm not quite feeling Gretchen's concern for Michael - to a point. While I do think she was genuinely concerned that he was going to have some health issues from losing, she had to feel like she was seen as the better designer because she won out in that battle. Remember, she felt twice that Michael shouldn't have won challenges because he wasn't the better designer and was rather bitter about the wins..
    But isn't that a valid view to have since she is in competition with these people? (Athletes have the same mindset). If she doen't believe in herself foremost, then who will. She might as well just pack it in and give up her dream.

Last edited by watts; 10-22-2010 at 03:29 PM.

I read elsewhere that Michael C. is of Roma heritage, and he was in an arranged marriage that produced a son and a daughter. He has custody of his son, while his ex has custody of his girl, whom he is not allowed to see. My guess is that she re-married a fellow Roma and travels around a lot, they have a very gypsy-like lifestyle. Apparently his parents told him that they would help him ONLY if he remarried, to a woman, which of course is not something he wants to do now that he is out and openly gay. It's his parents loss, IMHO.

I'm sad that Granola Gretchen is in the F3 instead of Michael. I get that some people love that aesthetic, but her clothes looked like they came from a thrift store instead of being high-end Granola wear.

I loved Mondo's collection and Michael C's, so I'm glad Michael got to show a line at Fashion week. I'm rooting for Mondo to win.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck;4089277;
    I read that the daughter lives with the mother and Michael isn't even allowed to visit her -- has nothing to do with the show.
    Yes, that is true; however, my explanation is to why she wouldn't be on the show regardless - you have to have parental consent and it's obvious that didn't happen here.

Quote Originally Posted by watts;4089285;
    But isn't that a valid view to have since she is in competition with these people? If she doen't believe in herself, then who will. She might as well just pack up and leave and give up her dream.
    Yes... but my point was that she has had a jealous and mean streak toward him all season, thinking she was the better designer and that he shouldn't have even BEEN there to begin with.

The top is the only rehash... even there potentially with the change of print and pyramid studs on the cuffs of the sleeves. The skirt is different in that the Kennedy one was longer and had somewhat of a folded/origami type top part to get the curves of the hips.

Plus, that one had a jacket, while this one didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;4089306;
    Yes... but my point was that she has had a jealous and mean streak toward him all season, thinking she was the better designer and that he shouldn't have even BEEN there to begin with.
    Either it wasn't as bad as the show showed or Michael C is a very forgiving person. He had an interview transcript on Blogging Project Runway. He said one thing they didn't show was a fake make-out session between them (Gretchen and himself). He also ended the interview with this: "I love the show, and Id like everyone to know that Gretchen is not a b$%^h."

I still don't think that she should have been in the top 3 because of her designs, but she is not the worse designer I have seen. I just don't like her style. And I thought the pictures of what she showed DID look a bit cheap. Still, Michael C seems OK about things now.

Various random thoughts:

Somebody mentioned this upthread, but I, too, wondered if the designers were told that they could show at FW even if they were eliminated. I guess not, since Michael responded so badly. Maybe the producers wanted the drama of having the designers genuinely think they had blown their chance if they were aufed. That seems a little cruel, though. A couple of people have mentioned that they saw pics of Michael's FW collection and that it looked lovely. I'm so glad. As somebody else said, what matters is what all the bigwigs at FW think, not the judges. I hope somebody at FW gave him some recognition.

The first time I read about his partner outing him, I thought the partner was mentally disturbed. That was absolutely not the partner's business, especially if Michael told him about his lousy family. Michael should have dumped him right away and found somebody else who was sane.

Believe it or not, arranged marriages can happen here in America. I have a friend who grew up in a dinky little town on the Texas/Mexican border. The town was mainly Hispanic and Catholic. My friend admitted to me frankly once that he doesn't love his wife, even though he likes and respects her. They grew up together in that town and their families pretty much "expected" them to get married. Since at that time he didn't know any other culture or way of life, he did. Maybe something similar happened to Michael, especially if he was raised in the tight-knit Roma culture.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

+ Reply to Thread