+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 10/14 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 10/14 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

I thought that Michael C's dress was a goner for sure until the judges gushed over it. They mentioned the way the fabric flowed, and that was Michael's comment as he was talking about it. I figured it was something that just didn't show well on tv. Then my husband came in and saw it and loved it. I mentioned I couldn't see it moving the way they were talking about but he said that's what he noticed right away. I will say I loved the back of it. I thought he fit it to the model perfectly.

I think with Christian's comments we could catch a small glimpse of what Michael was up against all season. He was a little condescending about Michael not knowing the type of fabric. I loved that the other judges stood up for Michael with their statments that while he may not know what the fabric is he knew what to do with it. And in the end that should be the important part - knowing how to work the fabric, not just knowing about it.

I think Michael truly was touched by Mondo's choosing him. Mondo completely changed his mind about Michael and I liked that he explained all that to the judges. From all the bad crap he's taken all year long I'm not surprised he was moved.

I like Michael but my favorite designer is Mondo. It would appear that everyone there agrees he's talented because everyone picked Mondo to go through. I wonder how Gretchen felt when she wasn't getting picked that much. She's had such a high opinion of herself and her abilities that it had to hurt a little.

I hope Michael and Mondo are 2 of the designers and I don't care who the 3rd is.

I am also one that is surprised by Michael's getting such a beautiful review. I thought the dress was... boring. Beautiful, yes, but for THIS challenge, when you were supposed to wow the judges? I thought all the designers fell flat. Mondo's dress was beautiful yes, but I would've liked to see something extravagant from him, we all know he's capable. April... Sigh. I wanted her to make it through from the very beginning, I've loved her aesthetic, but it's true, she did make something she's done before. Andy is one of my favorites. Him and Mondo better make it to the finals for sure. Gretchen... I feel the show may keep her around for her drama factor, as well as having a female in the mix, but I'd rather see Michael C. in there. Not only is he nicer, but I like his design aesthetic much better.

I thought it was so sweet when Mondo & Michael C. were hugging after they were in. I'm glad Michael C. got the justification of making it this far after all the nastiness he endured. Personally, I want Gretchen out. Her design this week was disgusting to me, and overall, I'm not a fan of the bohemian style, but she hasn't been doing very well as of lately, while Michael C. has.
    ~~~~~~~~~amandalynn!
    this is a reason for broken wings!

April--MK pretty much summed it up. Same-old, same-old. I laughed when he called the model "a pregnant witch" because that's what I thought, too. I remember thinking as she came down the runway "Why is her stomach bulging out? Is she pregnant?" Also, the one-sleeve thing just looked tacky, as if she didn't have enough time to finish the dress.

Gretchen--I felt a little sorry for her. I liked the color of her skirt, and I thought the whole outfit looked nice. My only hesitation was that stripe thing on the back of the jacket. It looked like a man's tie turned backwards. I can also understand the judge's verdict that it looked like something off-the-rack.

On a side note, although her usual snarkiness was toned down, she still irritated me a little. Her pouting on the runway just before the judges handed down their verdict...her earlier example of casual snobbishness when she dismissed Michael as "me 5 years ago before I matured"...and the meltdown. I'm sorry, you're tired and stressed? This show has been on for 8 seasons now, and you think you're the only designer who's ever been tired and stressed? As somebody said upthread, what about your fellow 4 who made it with you? You would think she had never watched the show before. Shoot me if you will, but I didn't feel sympathy during her little speech. I just saw it as more whining. I will say, though, that her backstage remark about "second chances" didn't sound snarky. I also thought she just meant that the other three had survived to maybe make it to FW, so she was glad she had joined them.

Andy--loved the front of his dress. The shimmering contrast of fabrics to create the "wet look" was gorgeous. The back, however, was...well, I don't know what to say. Warrior woman meets prostitute? And that's putting it nicely.

Michael--the only reason women would wear this is because it's comfortable. It was lovely but hardly wow. It looked like a tent or nightgown. The only elegant thing about it was the slit and the lack of a back panel.

I also winced when he couldn't identify the fabric. Was he too embarrassed to ask somebody at the store? That gave me a glimpse into why the other designers might look down at him for his lack of formal training, although it certainly doesn't justify their past cruelty. MK had a good comment, though, that he may not have known its name, but Michael had good instincts about what to do with the fabric. That's why I don't think his design was an accident. Tim Gunn told him the earlier designs were horrible, and so he had the courage to scrap them and start over again. He came up with a new vision and executed it, even if he couldn't describe it properly. I just think he needs more experience, but the raw vision and instinct are there.

All that being said, though, I'm so glad he survived until next week. He handled everything so graciously, from winning to congratulating the others. That was even sweet of him to console April. Even if he doesn't make it into the Final 3, I really hope he does well in life.

Mondo--for once his mix of prints didn't make my eyes water. I loved this dress and thought it should have won. I would wear it in a heartbeat. I also love that in order to make it he stepped out of his comfort zone and challenged himself. Of course, it helps that houndstooth is one of my favorite prints.

And I cried during his speech when he nominated Michael. I wish M & M could be together in the final. If it's not to be, then I hope it's Mondo and that he wins.

Christian was snotty during his own season, so his remarks about Mondo were in character. Since he didn't say anything that bad about any other designer, I think it was pretty obvious that he was just crazily jealous.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz;4084790;

I wonder how Gretchen felt when she wasn't getting picked that much. She's had such a high opinion of herself and her abilities that it had to hurt a little.
    I wondered, too, as the three guys walked off. She may have made it to next week, but it was clear that she was at the bottom of the pack as far as the judges were concerned. However, after hearing how "I deserve to be in the Final 3" (last week) and "Even if I'm not picked I'll still become famous" (this week), I'm still having trouble mustering up much sympathy.

I hope Michael and Mondo are 2 of the designers and I don't care who the 3rd is.
    That's basically how I feel.

And now, ladies and gents, for a paraphrase of the immortal Heidi: "Michael, who was it that said how week after week she wished you would be eliminated? Oh, I forgot. She's not here anymore! " (Yes, I know Gretchen agreed, but April said it first.)
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred;4084828;
    I wondered, too, as the three guys walked off. She may have made it to next week, but it was clear that she was at the bottom of the pack as far as the judges were concerned. However, after hearing how "I deserve to be in the Final 3" (last week) and "Even if I'm not picked I'll still become famous" (this week), I'm still having trouble mustering up much sympathy.
    I know...she's had some serious entitlement issues all season, which came to a head last night with her being "over" the challenges on the runway, yet thinking that it isn't her problem but the show's problem that she's over it. She just wants to make things on her timetable and be patted on the head for it. This is almost unprecedented for PR, where a contestant is basically sitting around waiting to be anointed the best of the season. She needs her wiring checked.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

As far as Michael not knowing what kind of fabric he used, let me offer you this:

Without the aid of those little stickers, I can't tell the difference between a Vidalia and a Walla Walla or a Sunbrero from a Peruvian Sweet or a Maui from a Mayan sweet onion.

What I do know is that they will all taste delicious with my cheeseburger, but not so much with my breakfast cereal.

Michael got the job done and did it well in the eyes of the regular judging panel.

I shudder to think what it would have been like to have Ivy, Gretchen and Christian in the same season.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

And now, ladies and gents, for a paraphrase of the immortal Heidi: "Michael, who was it that said how week after week she wished you would be eliminated? Oh, I forgot. She's not here anymore! " (Yes, I know Gretchen agreed, but April said it first.)
    I went to Lifetime and watched the judges' vlogs and am worried that Gretchen will get in the final 3. Nina thinks Michael C might have lucked into the look he did (I believe she also mentioned the fabric issue). And she said G makes separates that women would buy (not me), and that her collection would be different than the rest. She also talked about how good at styling G is. Funny the emphasis on styling this season

I thought she was talking about Ivy -wasn't she the one who wanted Michael eliminated?

I also loved Heidi's comment directed to bratty Christian when he made the snotty comment about Michael not knowing what his fabric was, and that it should be a reason for him not going on. Heidi said (paraphrase) "who cares if he knows what the fabric is, what matters is what he does with it and what he makes."

Aren't Christian's 15 minutes just about over? If not, they should be.

Christian came off a little jealous and bitter in many of his comments. Nothing was a flat out compliment to any of them. Said MC's was best but then a dig. They were complimenting Mondo's work throughout the season but he wasn't impressed, etc. It seemed like he was afraid one of them would take away his spotlight but this is their turn now.

My guess is they will want a woman at finale even if the men all deserve to go. Mondo will make it but Andy could be seen as too similiar. MC does beautiful glamour and Gretchen does every day separates. I'm pulling most for MC to get there. I've seen Gretchen's FW designs and they were bad. MC's were much better as were Mondo's and Andy's work.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast