+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 103

Thread: 9/2 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

  1. #51
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,222

    Re: 9/2 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    Since Peach was eliminated, it would be safe to assume that Ify won't be picked by a new designer (because everyone's been loyal, so far, and Ify's got a reputation for being "difficult"). If I'm not mistaken, I remember Ify from the Ford Supermodel of the World competion in 2008 (a lot of stars were discovered that year like Hyoni Kang, who won, Kendra Spears, and Jacquelyn Jablonski). She represented an African country (Nigeria or Kenya?) and I remember that she had a killer walk.

  2. #52
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,222

    Re: 9/2 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    I don't really get the utter hatred for Gretchen. Most of her opinions about the othert designers are told in testimonials or confessionals and I think that they are encouraged to express their real views and discern which looks they disapprove. If you watch the first few episodes, Michael C. has been very critical and has proven to have a very sharp tongue. Yet people have forgotten about this and have forgiven him because none of the other designers respect him. And one joins a competition thinking they are going to win so what's wrong with a proclamation done during a confessional where you say that "you're a force to be reckoned with". If you don't believe you have whatever it takes to win the competition, then why join in the first place? You have to show your confidence. Nobody wants to see a weepy sap worry wart (woe is me) like you-know-who.

  3. #53
    FORT Fogey Babbred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow...
    Posts
    2,897

    Re: 9/2 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by Duckyface;4054520;
    I am really finding the drama detracting from my enjoyment of the show. Sure you want some interesting personalities and not everyone is going to be a fan favorite, but I really don't like seeing people's feelings hurt.

    I don't like seeing the judges playing with their decisions just to "get back" at some designer they may not like and show them who the boss is. I think the judges are on more of a power trip than ever and I never like seeing that side of the judges or them trying to insert themselves into the story of the designers in order to get at someone.
    Amen.

    It's all so petty and mean this season on all sides, even Tim and even between Tim and the judges.

    [snip]
    To paraphrase the great Hamlet, "This show seems out of joint." (Knew that English degree would come in handy some day. ) First there's been the lousy judging...contestants like Rockell (?) getting eliminated when she by far was not the worst...contestants like Wretchen winning when she by far was not the best (the motto for that jumpsuit? "I am a jumpsuit. Hear me snore." ) I mean, the judges have made bad decisions before (Emilio's bikini, anyone? ), but it takes the cake this season.

    Then there's Tim acting totally out of character. When he first made that tirade, I cheered. Since then, however, I've kind of changed my mind. I still agree with the sentiment, but I think he should have kept it more low key. Something along the line of "I hope you've learned a valuable lesson, AJ, to never compromise your vision but always do what you think is right." He still could have made the point and shamed Wretchen and crew, but without seeming so out of control. It was a little unnerving seeing Tim act like that.

    And of course, the all-consuming drama with MC. As Estygal pointed out, there have been contestants before who didn't have formal training, or who were a little quirky, but they weren't treated this horribly by their fellow contestants. There's just something wrong with Wretchen and Hivy, and I mean that in all seriousness. Clearly these two had some issues before they ever came on the show, and now it's being magnified since they're in front of a camera. This is especially true for Hivy...that kind of vitriol just doesn't come out of nowhere. She probably acts this way in real life, too, only it wasn't quite such a big deal then because only a few people knew her.

    In fact, I was reading the board over at Lifetime last night, and somebody there made a good point. Wretchen and Hivy are acting like the proverbial spoiled children, which means that maybe nobody ever told them they were less than perfect. It's true. Wretchen sounds like she was Mommy's Little Darling who always got what she wanted, and Hivy sounds like the proverbial head cheerleader/prom queen from every bad teen flick. I mean, like, how DARE you say that little nobody is actually capable of making a dress? Don't you know that I'M the only one here who can make good dresses? Worship ME! If she weren't so hateful, and if MC weren't so nice, it would almost be funny with her, too.

    And somebody else made an interesting point over at the other board: what on earth do the sponsors think of this train wreck? Do Garnier and Loreal really appreciate having their elegant names being associated with this mess?
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

    Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

  4. #54
    Kip
    Kip is offline
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,667

    Re: 9/2 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by watts;4054632;
    I don't really get the utter hatred for Gretchen. Most of her opinions about the othert designers are told in testimonials or confessionals and I think that they are encouraged to express their real views and discern which looks they disapprove. If you watch the first few episodes, Michael C. has been very critical and has proven to have a very sharp tongue. Yet people have forgotten about this and have forgiven him because none of the other designers respect him. And one joins a competition thinking they are going to win so what's wrong with a proclamation done during a confessional where you say that "you're a force to be reckoned with". If you don't believe you have whatever it takes to win the competition, then why join in the first place? You have to show your confidence. Nobody wants to see a weepy sap worry wart (woe is me) like you-know-who.
    I started out liking Gretchen. Her thinking she was so great didn't bother me because, as you say, most designers say stuff like that. It didn't bother me that she and others were trashing Michael C's design of the "hat dress" and his abilities to each other and in confessionals. It did bother me that Gretchen and most of the other designers didn't congratulate Michael on his good reviews from the judges and then his win. Just rudeness, IMO.

    In the team challenge during Team Luxe's planning phase, Michael C. made a suggestion. Gretchen gave Michael a dismissive look and totally ignored him and went on to her next point. I started disliking Gretchen a bit then. Team Luxe decided that they would stand together as a team and let the judges decide the outcome. Gretchen starts talking and after a couple of minutes tells the judges she hopes they'll make their decision on who to send home based on who they want to see more from. Way to throw your teammates under the bus, Gretchen. That was obviously code words for "I've won twice, you probably want to see more from me than from some of these other guys." I disliked Gretchen even more after that.

    Then there was the completely gratuitous trashing of Michael during the judging. I liked Gretchen a whole lot less after that.

    So, yes, I do dislike Gretchen. I also dislike Ivy for her active acts of meanness. I'm very disappointed in many of the other designers for following Gretchen and Ivy's lead in their treatment of Michael C.
    Last edited by Kip; 09-04-2010 at 01:47 PM.

  5. #55
    FORT Fogey Babbred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow...
    Posts
    2,897

    Re: 9/2 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by Cairon;4054539;
    Ivy and Valerie are horrible human beings on the inside.

    No sooner had Wretchen slithered away or those two banshees were telling each other that Tim was actually right, and that Wretchen really needed to be brought down a peg.

    Wait, but my dear, you're Wretchen's confidante, you're her best friend untill the sun goes cold and we're all forced to eat our children, you're Ivy and Valerie, paragorns of virtue and loyalty.

    Me thinks they're ready to attack their wounded leader, canibalizing and usurping the throne. It makes Wretchen look all the more like a typical bully... she has her drones buzzing around who will aggree with her when she needs them to aggree with her, but who are only clinging to her because she's the obvious leader and it's easier to be the power behind the throne than to sit on it.

    Wretchen is still too comfortable with the sound of her own voice, and she's too dense to see that she's been called out on it.

    The other designers have rallied behind her, because it's easy to make Michael C into a scapegoat, the easiest target. If Mike C wasn't the victim, it would have been Casanova, in fact Casanova WAS the victim during the first couple of episodes, or at least the butt of their jokes. Casanova has retreated into the background, and he's keeping his mouth shut. I underestimated Casanova, I thought he was too infatuated with the camera, wanting to be an extravagant character, shouting and laughing and being obvious... but he's really reigned it in, he's been humbled by the runway and it suits him. He's now a lot more subdued and a lot more serious about what he's doing.

    I really didn't like how April went off about Michael C last night. Complaining and too eager to jump on that band wagon. Miss "I think Wretchen is a little Dictator" seems a bit jealous that she isn't the one who's doing the dictating. April is jealous of Wretchen's position, but she's trying to play the group by following up on the Michael C hatred and animosity. She knows that if Wretchen ever were to fall from grace, the group will end up following her because she's shown to think the same as "the group".

    We all know Ivy and Valerie aren't going to be the ones following Wretchen's position, because I don't think anybody respects those two, everybody sees them for what they are... annoying bees that just circle around the queen... or like the hyenas who circled around Scar in the Lion King.

    [snip]

    Brilliant! Machiavelli would love you.

    "Tis better to rule through fear than love, because when you're on top there's always somebody waiting to stab you in the back." Very loose paraphrase of the master of realpolitik. Right now Wretchen is riding the coolness factor, but there are those waiting in the wings (read: Valerie) who think they're just as cool and are just waiting for the right moment...wouldn't be surprised in the least if Valerie throws Wretchen under the bus at some point...and then Hivy will join Valerie in doing it, because her alliance with Wretchen was only for the moment and against a common enemy...yep, the vultures are circling and Wretchen doesn't even realize it. I am almost...almost tempted to feel sorry for her, because I'm guessing when the moment comes she'll be surprised. This is why I dislike Hivy the most...she's not only arrogant and spiteful, she's unscrupulous. Valerie is a close second for my dislike, but for right now, Hivy is the most vocal so she takes the prize.

    Interesting point about April...yep, keep an eye on her, too. I don't think the group would follow Hivy, but it would be interesting to see who they chose to replace Wretchen, April or Valerie.

    And poor Michael C is caught in the middle of this. Honestly, I don't think this is really about him. As somebody said, he's just the easiest target. I really do think this is a personality problem, at least for Wretchen and Hivy. The real issue is that they are so narcissistic that they believe they are superior fashion designers, and so they feel threatened by the judges who dare to tell them otherwise. Hence the carping about how lousy the judges are. Since they can't destroy the judges, they will eliminate the other contestants until they can get out in the real world and "prove" how superior they are. I believe that if by some miracle anybody ever did hire them they would bad-mouth other designers just to keep elevating themselves.
    Last edited by Babbred; 09-04-2010 at 01:55 PM.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

    Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

  6. #56
    FORT Fogey Babbred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow...
    Posts
    2,897

    Re: 9/2 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by Kip;4054383;
    Excellent post, babbred. Welcome!

    While reading your post about Ivy's irrational hatred of Michael, I just had a thought about the rumor at the exhibition. I wonder if Ivy, upon seeing Michael's jar fill up with buttons and hers nearly empty, couldn't reconcile that in her mind. How could a great designer (her) not be rewarded with buttons while a crappy designer's (Michael) dress was loved? So she had to create a scenario that would explain the discordance: Michael must be turning people against her.
    Thank you.

    Regarding your theory: I actually thought of that while I was watching the show. I just forgot to mention because I had so much else to say.

    Alas, poor Paige, we knew you well. Another victim, along with AJ, of this Michael C mess (in the sense that nobody is talking about them). I agreed with the judges that she should go home. However, I will miss her. She showed talent and grace under pressure, even when leaving. A real class act that the show desperately needed this season.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

    Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

  7. #57
    FORT Fan princessKIM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Montreal,Canada
    Age
    44
    Posts
    237

    Re: 9/2 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    This has been a rough week for my reality tv favourites.Tiffany on Top Chef and now Peach.Bummer.

  8. #58
    FORT Fogey jadewarlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,177

    Re: 9/2 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    Quote Originally Posted by Cairon;4054539;
    The other designers have rallied behind her, because it's easy to make Michael C into a scapegoat, the easiest target. If Mike C wasn't the victim, it would have been Casanova, in fact Casanova WAS the victim during the first couple of episodes, or at least the butt of their jokes. Casanova has retreated into the background, and he's keeping his mouth shut. I underestimated Casanova, I thought he was too infatuated with the camera, wanting to be an extravagant character, shouting and laughing and being obvious... but he's really reigned it in, he's been humbled by the runway and it suits him. He's now a lot more subdued and a lot more serious about what he's doing.
    I noticed that originally with Casanova too, but I think and hope that his win last week (the team challenge) really humbled him a bit and made him appreciate what he's doing. I do think his clothing also has improved a bit - then again just about anything is better than his very first dress, tough yeah... it would fit Star Trek well.

    Seriously doubt he'll win but he's good for humor now. He may be our only light-hearted humor now that Peach is gone. I really can't stand the snottiness of Gretch and Ivy - and it's that, snottiness.

    Irina, Emilio, Mila and a few others I've seen who were snobs actually COULD back up what they said.

    And some, such as Irina - understood talent and skills. She wasn't too complimentary of Gordana as a designer, but DID know she could sew like nothing else. That's why she chose her to help in the final runway, and I think that's a reason why she won.

    Emilio respected Seth Aaron's talent, even though he hoped to win and was arrogant about it. At least he showed respect for other's talents. (Though yeah, SA was going to win unless he really had a bad outfit IMHO).

    Mila I think grew and became more appreciative of what she was doing and getting to go to final runway. I do think that's what gave her the edge in the showdown.

    And there are probably others in previous seasons, but I could only start watching in Irina's season.

    That said, I do not see that with Gretchen and Ivy, and I think it'll hurt them in the end. I'm hoping other good designers such as Mondo and all don't fall - at least long if they have - into their bitterness or it'll affect their designs.

  9. #59
    Kao
    Kao is offline
    Donyale y Dali: OTP Kao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,377

    Re: 9/2 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    TLo (from Project Rungay) interviewed Peach for their blog today. Here's a snippet that might shed some light on why Michael C. is so despised by the cast:

    TLo: Alright, enough of that, let’s gossip. What is going on with this group this season? A.J. last night tweeted that Michael Costello was a "massive d-bag" and that he was acting for the cameras. Everyone hates him but he comes across as this little wounded lamb to us. What’s the deal with Michael Costello, Peach?

    Peach: [Laughs] Michael Costello came onto the show, he even said this to us, because he wants his own reality show and he’s creating this character that you see. There were two sides of Michael Costello and one of them did not have the nicest language; not just curse words, subject matter too. I don’t know how to put it, but he is not the victim that they’re painting him to be.
    She was very polite about it, but it ties in with what other leaving contestants have said. Apparently, he talks about sex. A lot. And most of his comments in the workroom had very heavy sexual connotations that were borderline offensive attached to them that made a lot of people (including the men) feel uncomfortable.

    What's REALLY interesting is that Lifetime is showing NONE of this. Hmmm...

  10. #60
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,128

    Re: 9/2 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

    Wow!! Now that is interesting. It might explain some things we are puzzled about. Most interesting is that the producers are not giving us even a hint that this is true.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.