+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 8/19 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 8/19 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Allie;4044299;
    Ivy especially went down in my esteem after that. I wish Tim was vlogging this ep so we could see his take on it. (Tim's on vacation from what I remember, for about two weeks)
    I went on to Facebook and watched Tim's Vlog's they are great. I like how initially he didn't like the 90 minute format but now appreciates that you see more of the designers and that there is enough time to see their depth and not as edited stereotypes. Tim did mention that after episode 2 that there were 3 ambulances. One for him, one for Jason and one for another designer. Then he saw the previews for episode and saw a 4th ambulance. But not to worry there are no more ambulances that he is aware of. I do like how Tim really disagrees with the judges and thinks they are all smoking crack.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by watts;4044465;
    I don't get it. When Christian Siriano was proclaiming that he was the best in his season (yup, so true) and was critical about the other designers, no one said he was a pr**k. But Gretchen gives her 2 cents in, she's a b***h. Is there a double-standard going on? When women criticize, the claws are on. And I agree with the "befuddlement" after the Michael C. win because I was expecting him to be in the bottom 3. And who knows if it went on and on (it could have been the editing). And what fun would we have watching reality shows if everyone was gracious?
    I don't think the double standard is so simplistic as gender-based. Christian established himself very early in the season as something special, something that had not been seen before on PR. And as I recall, there were plenty of people ready to give him the smackdown when he would play Tim Gunn, especially since he was pretty much the first designer ever to dare to do it.

With Gretchen, I don't see that specialness, that spark. She makes very good clothes, but none of them stick out in my memory as breath-taking or awe-inspiring. Yet she talks as if her winning is pre-destined, as if she is above everyone else there, and that she's there to teach them and take pity on them. And her work simply doesn't reflect that, not by a mile. That's why it's open season on her.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;4044676;
    I don't think the double standard is so simplistic as gender-based. Christian established himself very early in the season as something special, something that had not been seen before on PR. And as I recall, there were plenty of people ready to give him the smackdown when he would play Tim Gunn, especially since he was pretty much the first designer ever to dare to do it.

With Gretchen, I don't see that specialness, that spark. She makes very good clothes, but none of them stick out in my memory as breath-taking or awe-inspiring. Yet she talks as if her winning is pre-destined, as if she is above everyone else there, and that she's there to teach them and take pity on them. And her work simply doesn't reflect that, not by a mile. That's why it's open season on her.
    When I checked out the designers and their taste level and the polish of their work this season, based on their portfolios, only Gretchen and Andy stood out (and Valerie did well-made clothes). And as the show went on, I was beginning to question Andy's taste and it jived with Gretchen's opinion that she had pegged him originally as her competition. And Valerie has come out as one of my favorites like Michael D. And Gretchen does not make show-stopper looks like Christian S. but there's something about her. And don't we all psych ourselves up that we're going to win when we join a competition? It wasn't just her who has done it during the testimonials. And she's had 2 wins to back it up. She just rubs people the wrong way but I don't think there's any malicious intent.

FORT Fogey

Anyway, I looked at the episode a 2nd time and thought Ivy's look should have been top 3. Andy's was good, too, but it gave me an 80's Dynasty vibe. And Michael D.'s should have won. He said that his hat reminded him of a soldier or farmer. His look reminded me of a Spanish conquistador's armor and the skirt's crinkle looked like intricate pleating and gave the whole look a pop (sunburst of fiery red). Michael C.'s look was not bad but it didn't deserve the merit it got.

BTW, Mondo's doing Moschino.
    Last edited by watts; 08-21-2010 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by watts;4044465;
    I don't get it. When Christian Siriano was proclaiming that he was the best in his season (yup, so true) and was critical about the other designers, no one said he was a pr**k. But Gretchen gives her 2 cents in, she's a b***h. Is there a double-standard going on? When women criticize, the claws are on. And I agree with the "befuddlement" after the Michael C. win because I was expecting him to be in the bottom 3. And who knows if it went on and on (it could have been the editing). And what fun would we have watching reality shows if everyone was gracious?
    I missed most of Siriano's season, so I can't say anything about that (but I do remember reading less-than-flattering comments about his attitude). I CAN say that I didn't like it last season when Emilio acted very arrogant. And with Gretchen, it is more of how she gives everyone else her input and how she does it. She seems very belittling. And frankly, I think it is fun when people are not rude or nasty to each other. I can only speak for myself, but no, there is not a double-standard when it comes to Gretchen on my part. I don't find arrogance very attractive. Confidence, yes. And it is a fine line, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Allie;4044811;
    I missed most of Siriano's season, so I can't say anything about that (but I do remember reading less-than-flattering comments about his attitude). I CAN say that I didn't like it last season when Emilio acted very arrogant. And with Gretchen, it is more of how she gives everyone else her input and how she does it. She seems very belittling. And frankly, I think it is fun when people are not rude or nasty to each other. I can only speak for myself, but no, there is not a double-standard when it comes to Gretchen on my part. I don't find arrogance very attractive. Confidence, yes. And it is a fine line, I know.

I agree. Arrogance is very unattractive. Christian's attitude is not getting him very far in the fashion world. Being nice and/or kind goes a long way, especially in that business because you never know who will be your big contact or break, and burning bridges gets you nowhere. It's hard enough to make it, and if you are a jerk, it's even harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Endit;4043315;
    *smacks every single designer* CHANGE YOUR MODELS. Seriously they all had the chance and wanted to be friends instead. Force them to change! I'm glad that the challenge is bold though, lets hope they can pull it together with huge creations.
    I believe they tried to make the designers change by having their models wear hats there were, for the most part, opposite of the designers' styles. They really should've changed models!!
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;4043461;
    Kinda nice to see with the extra 30 minutes all the designer discussion in the waiting room and back at the apartments.

I think it is getting pretty obvious if Tim, the designers like it the judges will not. Still I thought Christopher had a nice outfit and perhaps would have looked better with different styling and no leggings.
    I noticed that during Season One. I wondered why Tim was even there if the judges constantly do the opposite of what.
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

Quote Originally Posted by NFL1;4043873;
    I'm late to the party...but what was up with the judges, not just last night, but this was the 2nd or 3rd time that Tim's advice seemed different from the judges end critique??
    I am beginning to think the producers have gottn ahold of sex tapes or some sort of dirt on the judges and arre blackmailing them to choose who they want.

Gretchen needs to be knocked down a peg. She is not as good as she thinks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234