+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 8/12 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 8/12 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Gretchen seems to treat people like they are little kids. She IS irritating. OK as a designer, but I don't know if she is as good as needed to be that cocky. And I HATED the skirt. Top and jacket were great. Boots did NOT go with the outfit. Eh. Loved the winning dress. I was surprised the red dress was not in the top as well. And Casanova was lucky Sara listened to Gretchen and just went with the one color and kind of gave up. I think if she would have gone with the "tropicana" or even scrapped the design and went with something else, she would have been safe. Darn it, she was the only one that could have saved Casanova. PLEASE let him go next week. I don't think the reason the two women helped Andy was that they were jealous of Gretchen (as I think someone said). I think they were finished and wanted to help and admired what he was trying to do.

And omg, was Tim and the "wooly balls" funny??? That made the episode for me.

Quote Originally Posted by newshound;4036198;
    I like Gretchen and I think she can back up her cockiness with talent, but her comment and her tone about cleaning up was really obnoxious.

What did you all think of Ivy's gray dress? I thought she could have easily landed in the bottom because the dress made her model look huge!! Very unflattering to a woman's body.
    I agree with everything you said, both about Gretchen and Ivy's dress. Ivy's dress made her model look big, and that's not easy to do with those girls.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckyface;4036717;
    I agree with everything you said, both about Gretchen and Ivy's dress. Ivy's dress made her model look big, and that's not easy to do with those girls.
    Ivy was lucky that there were three dresses worse than hers. But I do agree, made her model look big. I admit I got a tiny, evil amount of pleasure in that.

Gretchen's attitude bothered me too: "I'm a force to be wreckoned with!" Oh, puh-lease. Walking around like she's the expert and doling out advice is just too much. She needs to land in the bottom once or twice to be humbled a little. It reminds me of the Bronx/Harlem guy last season, who put his name on his fabric? Where I just want them to shut up - I realize a lot of it is editing, but she says what she says.

I will agree about the red dress - it was beautiful and should have gotten more attention! The gold napkin dress was also chic, and didn't look like napkins at all while Val's did a little bit, even tho it was pretty. Gretchen's skirt was not that innovative - must be why she brought up a couple times how she cut the chevrons into it HERSELF, and when she first talked about making a jacket with crumpled up bags I thought, ew! But that part of the outfit was great.

I miss the Models show!

FORT Fogey

I thought that red gown by Michael C. looked like a pinata! And I liked Sarah and thought she was nice, but why did she talk like the radio hosts that Molly Shannon and Ana Gasteyer played in SNL?
    Last edited by watts; 08-15-2010 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4036357;
    I disliked Peach's design. I'm really done with her. I think she is out of her league, although, I think she's really nice.
    2nd. Her dress reminded me of semi-cheap mall or like Juicy Couture. Like it's really juicy or couture. lol

Quote Originally Posted by princess07;4036373;
    What happen with them using Bluefly.com or Macy's for accessories? The new Priceline.com or whatever does not have good choices for the designers to use. It just looks cheap.
    lol. Piperlime

I think Casanova should have gone. He does NOT listen and I'm really not sure if he has a hearing problem or is playing dumb. He's in his own world of out of the box "couture" and his dress looked like a map of galaxies, complete with shiny sci-fi material top. I don't like watching him, however ridiculous and unpredictable he will be.

I think this episode truly confirmed Project Runway jumping the shark for me. I just don't have much reaction to anything. Because everything was so "normal", I feel like it subverted the original intention of the challenge. Previous years they've done this type of thing, you can tell what they used and it still looked good, but now everybody is taking the easier way out by making it look like fabric. And the people are quite tame too. Where are the Santinos, Austins, that chick that ordered the walk off, even ex drug/alcohol addiction guy turned designer? The models walk way too slow and none of them look that fierce either.

Gretchen ultimately proves my point by being the villain. I mean seriously... the most drama they have is a prim and proper know it all who routinely ranks in the top 3 and just doesn't know it?
    Last edited by Endit; 08-15-2010 at 04:26 PM.

Casanova does not have a hearing problem. He seems to communicate just fine with the other designers, but when Tim or the judges give him suggestions, he pretends like he doesn't understand them. He should have gone in the last episode. Even though Sarah's dress was a mess, she knew it was bad. Casanova is clueless. Sarah shouldn't have taken "advice" from Gretchen, who I think intentionally sabotaged her.

FORT Fogey

I do not think that Gretchen intentionally sabotaged anyone. She gives me the vibe of an overachiever-type (I know several) who genuinely means well and would like to give advise. In her mind, she's imparting part of her design process and aesthetic to her fellow contestants because the judges seem to be receiving it well and she would want others to be as successful, too. And Sarah, as nice as she is, is no competition. If she was going to sabotage someone, it would be Valerie or Andy, who she thinks are her competition. She actually made sense when she veered Sarah away from a Tropicana mess. Sarah's dress was just a casualty of the judges' scoring system wherein they have to eliminate someone in the bottom 3 and they chose AJ's mess (which Betsey Johnson liked, which prolly ultimately saved him) and Casanova's "couture" (which I can understand, although not appreciate) over Sarah's safe (it wasn't really bad and did not really deserve to be in the bottom 3 compared to Kristin's jellyfish dress or Peach's ugly dress) dress. Of the bottom 3, AJ should have been auf'ed.

I didn't much care for the top of Peach's dress, but I actually quite liked the bottom, I thought it was cute. Also liked Michael C.'s dress, even though I can't stand him. Andy's dress sure deserved that win, but he sre does owe a favor to Peach and April now, but thankfully, he seems gracious and likeable enough to help them out should they need it. He's my favorite, along with Valerie.

And yeah, Gretchen's coming across as a snobby know-it-all. At first it was annoying me, but near the end when she kept trying to talk over others and then told AJ that he was just mad cause he was in the bottom, that's where she totally lost me, hating her now. And I definitely don't know about fashion, I guess, cause the only thing I thought was great in her design was the jacket, whereas I found the rest of it to be just atrocious, especially that skirt.

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

Personally, I can't believe Gretched has been top 3 every week. I too thought her skirt this week was Tacky... like something a hooker would wear.
    And her jumpsuit that won last week? I hated the color, hated how wrinkled the material seemed to be, and hated that it was a jumpsuit. Really... a jumpsuit??
    I too loved Michael's red dress - I loved all the different textures in it - and thought it looked fabulous. I was very surprised the judges didn't like it.
    I am surprised that Casanova is still here after 3 weeks, and still creating dreck. He has no taste.
    As for Peach, I actually really like her and her clothes. No, she isn't terribly innovative, but I actually like her clothing and think that they look like clothes that real women would/could wear... not just size zero toothpick women.
    I too am missing this year's comedian... Santino/Chris March/Anthony were all hilarious each week, AND they could design a killer dress.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast