+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 11/05 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Re: 11/05 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by watts;3745384;
    Yes, but I would think that if they were deciding which final 3 to pick, they would have pictures of past designs as basis. Maybe not. But Heidi would always have a hand at the judging and could advise the others. Had she said during judging that "I didn't get to see Gordana's sense of design" to the other judges, they would not ask for proof. They would just take Heidi's word for it and take that fact into consideration for the final 3.
    Yeah, I was thinking that the guest judges (and Nina and Michael, since they haven't been around for much) would take a look at pictures of the designers' past designs. But really, how fair is that? I mean, taking a look at a picture is not the same as seeing it on the runway. For example, whenever I look at the pictures that lobeck posts every week, some of the designs look different than from what they looked like on my TV screen. I know you can still easily judge a piece from a picture, but it's not totally the same.

And if they just went by Heidi's word, then that just shows how much control Heidi as. Everyone has different opinions, and I'm sure Nina and Michael would have their own individual opinion if they had been there. And Heidi forms personal opinions, and unfortunately, those personal opinions seem like they're affecting her professional opinion.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Oh I am glad to find out most of you all agree it wasn't fair that Gordana was eliminated.

I was thinking, WTH! why do the challenge then if they pick the 3 only based on what they did through all of the season.

I am pissed off. That dress of Althea was horrible and I loved Gordana's dress. The best of all of them.
    Indeed a boring season.

Gladly I still have to watch the second season of Australia's PR , wow so many great designers and just finished watching season 2 of Canada where the winner was also obvious but not the last 3 as in this season of The American show. Boring!

I agree that age seems to factor into it - and tv presence/glamour. It seemed like Heidi sort of grimaced every time she looked at Gordana. We only know what we are shown - but it doesn't seem as if Gordana was some sort of hellacious witch behind the scenes (at least until the final challenge/Irina girl-bonding), so I'm not sure why Heidi was always so snippety toward her.

It seems as if someone said the way to go is the younger the better. They want another Christian Siriano. Maybe especially now that the show is based in L.A., which is incredibly ageist.

Couture Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by rebotco;3744818;
    I really wonder what goes on behind the scenes at Project Runway, since the judges really can't base their decisions on the entire season because none of the judges except Heidi was there the entire season. I guess it's really Project Heidi - does she have a fiduciary interest in the show now? She used to be just the host but now she's the host, judge, producer, etc. and resident meanie. Ick. And if her own wardrobe is an indication of her level of taste, that explains the decisionmaking that selected Althea over Gordana.

for about half a second after the credits, a quick disclaimer flashes up on the screen, saying something to the effect of:
    "The producers took into account the judge's scoring along with their own opinions in eliminating contestants."

I don't know what the exact wording is, but it clearly states right there that the eliminations are pretty much based on production value, and who will draw ratings. I find this explains a lot of the suspect eliminations and how some people even made it on the show.

Johnny's meth addiction was often echoed with Enya-like music accompanied by Tim Gunn painfully taking on the role of therapist,
    Epperson's awful attitude toward Qristal was shown in such a way as to make him look dismissive toward women in general,
    Christopher's sob story, etc.

Everything was indicative of a station-switch to a more middle-class female audience. Epperson, with all the talent he's got was axed at the first chance they got, Logan was kept around for eye-candy, Chris for his story, Johnny for his recovered addiction, etc. Designers like Carol Hannah, Althea and Irina were kept around because they consistently performed near the top.

In terms of Gordana, I believe that she was indisputably one of the most seasoned and talented designers there. She's had a lot of time to hone her aesthetic, and her craftsmanship is impeccable. You could tell that Tim Gunn was in awe of her, and consistently told her her work was wonderful. he seemed genuinely upset by her bum-wrap by Heidi and always pushed her to overcome that obstacle and make it impossible for the judges to fault her. That's what make it obvious to me that the judges had a vendetta against her - particularly Heidi.

I hate to play the race card, but I think that since the German's invaded the former Yugoslavia, and since Europeans tend to be more racist in general that Heidi probably held some sort of grudge of that nature. It's the only way I can make sense of it - Gordana had a pretty easy attitude, she was reasonably stylish, her designs were mostly all great... no excuse other than personal prejudice.

thank god for that disclaimer, lol.

Kao

With all due respect to Althea and Carole Hannah, we've gotten pretty much the same profile from them week after week after week. With Althea we get the jacket/shortshorts or skirt/top that made Tanisha's breasts look like they were having a fight every time she went down the runway; with Carole Hannah, we get lovely dresses. Anyone who produced anything remotely divergent was either immediately AUFED or tossed to the wolves. The end result is safe and all too predictable.

I hate to play the race card, but I think that since the German's invaded the former Yugoslavia, and since Europeans tend to be more racist in general that Heidi probably held some sort of grudge of that nature. It's the only way I can make sense of it - Gordana had a pretty easy attitude, she was reasonably stylish, her designs were mostly all great... no excuse other than personal prejudice.
    I really like Heidi and would like to think that she's better than that, but there were moments that seriously made me question some things. Unfortunately, there seems to be quite a few people who have nasty biases against Eastern Europeans in general; I hope she's not one of them.

It did seem inexplicable, the type of thing that's more emotional or maybe even unconscious. But Heidi should give Gordana a break. Her parents were farmers - it's not like they ran the country or made the decisions, whatever Heidi is upset about. I have Bosnian friends, and that country has had a hard time for generations. Heidi seems to be sneering on someone from her lap of luxury, and it's an ugly sight to see.

Kao

I just saw closeups of what Althea sent down the runway, and now I'm even angrier about this decision than I was previously. There was not one seam that she left unpuckered, the tank top was ill-fitting and sloppy, and to top it all off she had time to make that matching vest she was wearing (time that SHOULD have been spent on that horrible top, but I digress). Nice concept for a skirt, beyond awful execution.

Let's all give a big round of applause of Tanisha, because she sold the hell out of Althea's clothes. Because if she had ended up with any other model she probably would have been Aufed.

I hope tonight they show the finale and not re-runs like Top Chef did last week, past contestants from past seasons.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

In keeping with tradition, it's a two-part finale so it doesn't end until next week.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;3749170;
    In keeping with tradition, it's a two-part finale so it doesn't end until next week.

Crap!! The finale should be in/on 1 night, 2 hours instead of showing re-runs of last weeks show.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast