Logan

Shirin

Re: Week 5 - Newspaper Challenge

Gordana - BOTTOM 3

Nicolas - BOTTOM 3

Johnny - AUF'D

old cow

Thanxs for the pics. The more i look at it the more i just dont like Ra'mon or Carol Hanna's designs.

Quote Originally Posted by raisinthesun;3705650;
    Thanxs for the pics. The more i look at it the more i just dont like Ra'mon or Carol Hanna's designs.
    See, that's what makes the world go 'round...I like Carol Hannah's design. In fact, I think I'd put either CH or Epperson in the Top 3 instead of Christopher...

My memory is all but shot! Thanks so much Lobeck for bringing over the designs. When I woke up this morning and made my show comments, I had in my head that Gordana's dress was yellow dyed - huh? So glad to see that she went with the darker color and was able to use a repeated pattern. The best thing going for it is the fall of pleated ruffles from a high waist.

The dress I really like is the simple asian influence in Logan's blue/white. The flirty ruffles at the top and bottom above and below the blue banding made it more than just a dress (imo). Once again I'm falling for the color blue....

The thing I like about Christopher's gown is the same thing the judges liked - the hard, rigid top and the fluffy bottom. As he said he likes to design with hard/soft concepts. Carol Hannah's gown is gorgeous. I love the burnt orange on the bunched long skirt and the varied colored bra top. Did anyone else think Shirin's dress reminded them of a Leanne design? LOL

Ra'mon's look is almost sportswear/casual. I like the contrast in color between the top and the bottom. I like how Epperson used a cape carried forward as part of the sleeves look in his kimono. It isn't that fancy, but it is interesting. Althea's dress, to me, looks stunning in the pattern she chose...it really does look like a fabric print of a tall building molded into a form fitting dress. Talk about architecture - LOL.

Ah, Irina - she who thinks it's about time she won a challenge - came up with a faux fur glam look of a raincoat. I misquoted T Hilfiger writing that he said it was eighties when he actually said 60s/70s. I think it would also be a generic glam for any woman of substance from the 20s to today. I think she was named winner for the detail work as much as the profile. Someone even commented on her using black marker as seams.

I'm still trying to figure out Louise's outfit. The color, especially the pinkish high collar piece, is wrong for her model; but without that, it would be an ordinary strapless short dress. Then there are the bottom two. I like the pattern of eyes on Johnny's outfit. The center section brings some interest, but it did show the lack of work he put into it. Nick's is interesting, I thought, with the stripes running in different directions to create some architecture; and the white pieces at the top and bottom look almost lace-like in the picture. I think if he had laid off trying to put "studs" on the straps along with other paraphernalia, he might have done better.

The above is my opinion, of course, based on the photos.

Irina deserved this win. It's just a beautiful outfit.

The other two? Not so much. I wouldn't have put them in the top 3.

Louise's dress would have been great if not for that collar. What the heck is that? I love the rest of that dress though.

I think I would have put Carol Hannah and Epperson in the top three with Althea but I guess they can't completely repeat last week.

The rest? Any of them could have been in the bottom 3. I thought all their dresses were either bland or horrible.

old cow

Quote Originally Posted by lobeck;3705705;
    See, that's what makes the world go 'round...I like Carol Hannah's design. In fact, I think I'd put either CH or Epperson in the Top 3 instead of Christopher...
    wow now see i LOVED Christopher's design! But yea Epperson's was really nice too. The oriental fell with the big sleeves is really nice. Or at least i think its sleeves....it might be a shaw wrap. Not sure but still done in paper i know that couldnt have been easy

I think Louise should have been in the top 3. I like that she used several different techniques with the newspaper, and I like the composition of her dress with one color in one technique at the top, the black & white in the middle, and the multi-colors and another technique for the skirt.

I think Irina's raincoat deserved the win - it had panache, as they used to say. And I think Christopher's dress is fabulous - great workmanship, movement, and style.

Also, I thought Logan's dress was terrific and well-composed.

I agree with the poster above who thought Shirin's dress reminded her of LeeAnn (by the way, whatever became of LeeAnn, who I don't think should have won but that's another story). Someone on The Fashion Show also copied LeeAnn's type of dress at some point.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast