+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 9/17 Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Re: 9/17 Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;3707329;
    Plus, there is no reason to iron paper - unless it was on a VERY LOW setting, it'd catch on fire... unless you used steam, which of course, uese water. Even if it didn't catch on fire - it would quickly scorch if it's ironed too long.
    Just a note of interest - back "in the day," servants would often iron their employer's newspapers prior to giving them to them in the mornings. It was to set the newsprint so it wouldn't rub off on their hands.

I've ironed paper before in various crafts projects. Dry iron on low setting works great. Sometimes if the paper is particularly stubborn, I'll iron through a pillowcase on a higher heat setting.

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

I guess my design sense is VERY different from the judges... I really did not love 2 of the top 3 looks (I thought Christopher's was okay). My favorites were Logan (the color that he added to the paper was lovely - it looked like fabric) and Ra'mon. Louise was VERY creative, and Carol Hannah made a very bold statement.

I did not like Epperson's asian look at all, and Shirin's dress reminded me too much of the "vagina" dress on Top Design.

I agree that Gordana did not belong in the bottom 3 - her dress was very well made and looked wearable.

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3706148;
    A designer telling a complete lie to the judges is the biggest deal of all, especially when these things can be so easily checked on video.
    See, that's what I don't get...Did Johnny not think about his lying and story-telling being caught on video?

Quote Originally Posted by Fierce Critter;3707340;
    Just a note of interest - back "in the day," servants would often iron their employer's newspapers prior to giving them to them in the mornings. It was to set the newsprint so it wouldn't rub off on their hands.

I've ironed paper before in various crafts projects. Dry iron on low setting works great. Sometimes if the paper is particularly stubborn, I'll iron through a pillowcase on a higher heat setting.
    OK, I apologize for the misunderstanding. Still, his excuse was just that because he claimed he had water dribble. Why put water in the holder to steam paper in the first place? His argument just didn't wash IMHO.

FORT Fogey

His argument didn't hold water cuz it was a straight-up lie. What I don't get is why it's such a big deal to say "My first idea didn't turn out the way I wanted, so I scrapped it and started again." Irina scrapped her first dress to make that coat - which, IMO, wasn't that great, and I'm sick of her attitude.

I agree that Gordana shouldn't have been in the bottom 3. She misinterpreted the challenge, maybe, but it was well-made and had beautiful coloring. And Frankly, Irina's trench coat was less interesting and just as wearable.

Johnny lying was a big deal, but Nickolas didn't need to comment. If you can't stand on your own work, without trashing other people's, go home.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;3707829;
    OK, I apologize for the misunderstanding. Still, his excuse was just that because he claimed he had water dribble. Why put water in the holder to steam paper in the first place? His argument just didn't wash IMHO.
    Didn't we see him immediately rip the dress off when Tim said something about it and start a new one? As far as I remember, there wasn't an iron anywhere near him when he decided to redo his dress.

I think he made up the story so it wouldn't seem as if his first design was bad. It was great, and the only reason why he was in the bottom two was that he accidentally ruined his first wonderful one and had to rush the second one.

There was no logical reason for the lie other than he didn't want to look bad in front of the judges and his model. I do feel sorry for him in that regard.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Allie
    Didn't we see him immediately rip the dress off when Tim said something about it and start a new one?
    If I remember correctly, he did pull the first creation off the dress form, crumbled it into a ball and (with cameras still rolling) threw it towards the trashcan.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by Allie;3707860;
    Didn't we see him immediately rip the dress off when Tim said something about it and start a new one? As far as I remember, there wasn't an iron anywhere near him when he decided to redo his dress.

I think he made up the story so it wouldn't seem as if his first design was bad. It was great, and the only reason why he was in the bottom two was that he accidentally ruined his first wonderful one and had to rush the second one.

There was no logical reason for the lie other than he didn't want to look bad in front of the judges and his model. I do feel sorry for him in that regard.
    But, he didn't accidentally ruin the first dress - he tore it apart after Tim's comments of it. As I mentioned earlier, he could've stood by his idea and worked harder on it or take the simple way out, tear it apart and make another dress.

He lied about the iron issue - which you're right, he didn't have one - to make up a reason why his second dress looked like it did both to his model and the judges. Think of it as kind of a sympathy vote like some of Mitchell's work. I think had he not made excuses and stood by his work, I actually think Nicholas might've gone home. His dress to me looked a bit uglier and less well-made. He really didn't have a stronger case than Johnny of staying in this week. Only Gordana's was not worthy of a bottom two finish (and IMHO even bottom three given she used NO muslin in her dress).

That said - I did like the concept he had for dress one - just not the color. I think if he had thought it through a little bit better he might've actually had a great showstopper a la Christopher (though the painting of the bodice wasn't as good as it could've been).

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;3708447;
    But, he didn't accidentally ruin the first dress - he tore it apart after Tim's comments of it. As I mentioned earlier, he could've stood by his idea and worked harder on it or take the simple way out, tear it apart and make another dress.

He lied about the iron issue - which you're right, he didn't have one - to make up a reason why his second dress looked like it did both to his model and the judges. Think of it as kind of a sympathy vote like some of Mitchell's work. I think had he not made excuses and stood by his work, I actually think Nicholas might've gone home. His dress to me looked a bit uglier and less well-made. He really didn't have a stronger case than Johnny of staying in this week. Only Gordana's was not worthy of a bottom two finish (and IMHO even bottom three given she used NO muslin in her dress).

That said - I did like the concept he had for dress one - just not the color. I think if he had thought it through a little bit better he might've actually had a great showstopper a la Christopher (though the painting of the bodice wasn't as good as it could've been).
    I agree. I guess I worded it poorly. He didn't have an accident. I agree that he should have said he started over after Tim's comments when he should have reworked his original design. I was confused as to why he mentioned the iron when he didn't even seem to have one near his dress at the time. You would think he could have come up with a less obvious lie.

He made up an excuse and stuck with it and went home.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345