+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 10/15 Show Discussion - Season Finale **SPOILERS**

Re: 10/15 Show Discussion - Season Finale **SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3218296;
    I'm happy for Leanne, and she's a worthy winner, but I really preferred Korto's collection and was rooting for her.

My concern with Leanne is, what are you left with when you take away all the petals? What can she do without the geometric gimmicks? Her color palette was kind of washed (even for spring), although I will admit the bridal gown is just as stunning the second time. I just saw more life in Korto's clothes.

I'm glad she won Fan Favorite at least.

And so ends 5 seasons of PR on Bravo. *sigh* At least I'll have the DVDs to keep me company. I hope they don't muck it up wherever/whenever it comes back.

I don' think there's a whole lot going on creatively once you get past the architecture of Leanne's clothes. During one of the episodes Michael Kors said something to the effect that her clothes, though well executed, lack joy. I believe he even made this funny little sad sack face trying to imitate how Leanne comes across. I am trying hard to figure out why the judges gave Leanne a pass on her lack of range but nixed Lauren in the season three (or was it 2?) finals using the very same reasoning (lack of range). Seems contradictory.
    " I'm a Republican. I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by high barometric pressure, not gay marriage."- Will Macavoy The Newsroom

LeAnn winning was so predictable... anybody watch the Australian version? They both had similar aesthetics and collections.

But besides that though, I hated each collection lol. Kenley's showed promise at the beginning, but then it was all over the place. There was no consistency. Use some of the same colors once in a while! Every look was too different IMO. And stop coincidentally copying others - I know she probably didn't mean to, but you have to know what others are doing... it's a competition! And real designers keep their enemies close and view collections, or at least have some knowledge about other's signatures.

I felt that Korto's was too overworked and all over the place as well. Kind of a letdown to me. It looked amazing during the previews. Was it just me or did the model/outfit sequencing really suck? Awesome color choices though.

Then LeAnn... for once, some consistency (and more wearable too). But that wave pattern was got old fast and got more awkward as a result. You guys are right too, her clothes don't really have joy. They're so calculated and clinical at times. The more I saw the waves, the more they looked like napkins or folded book pages to me as well. I totally agree with Nina Garcia... she should have taken it further. I would suggest an exaggerated wave, maybe evolving to a point. Just because she likes geometric stuff doesn't mean it has to be boring! The wedding dress was by far the best piece of all 3 shows however, plus she had this white dress (don't remember all the details, sorry) on a black girl that was really great as well. So while I don't love her, I guess she deserved to win.

Now that I think of it, Jerell would have killed it! Or maybe crashed and burned too.. but I'd still like to see what he came up with.

stupid, stupid me: view all the collections (even ones unseen) at for example, Jerell: Project Runway: Kenley - Project Runway: Kenley - Spring 2009 Collection - just posted her link since it was the first to come up
    Last edited by Endit; 10-16-2008 at 02:43 AM.

I really wanted LeAnn to win so I am happy, but I would have been satisfied with a Korto win. I think it looked better walking down the runway than the still pictures I had seen. I thought it was interesting that Tim had to say that he would put aside anything prior to be able to judge fairly. I think the only reason he felt compelled to say that was due to Kenley's rudeness to him. She was right to be worried that perhaps she should have been nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by Chorita KaBoom;3218293;

This is the Balenciaga dress Nina referred to, from the 2006 fall RTW. There are similarities in color palette, silhouette and technique, but not quite enough for me to actually say it's a complete knock off. I mean, just because Balenciaga used a technique doesn't mean it can't be done a few years later by someone else.

I loved Korto's collection, though it really seemed more resort than spring to me. I think it was the color story that made it seem that way to me.

I was really happy that Leanne won, I loved every bit of her collection. I'd love to see what she would do with a fuller (35-40 looks) collection.
    That wasn't the one I think. I think she was referring to these (Balenciaga Spring/Summer 2008 RTW)

or

Her wedding dress looks like a cross between these two (McQueen Fall/Winter 2008 RTW):

and

Oh yeah, here's Jerrell's real link... HAD NO IDEA THERE WAS A 30 MINUTE EDIT LIMIT: Project Runway: Jerrell - Project Runway: Jerrell - Spring 2009 Collection
    Last edited by Endit; 10-16-2008 at 02:56 AM. Reason: BAD DESIGN! you can't post urls as urls. they autocorrect to page names!

FORT Fogey

Help! I missed the show (had to work). Can anyone fill me in before I get to watch the repeats?

From all the posts, it appears that Korto placed 2nd?
    and that Kenley got a talking to because of her lack of originality?
    and was Korto's really as good as people are saying? I saw the slideshows and I would have put her in 3rd place.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl;3218291;
    as I recall, a few seasons back, one of the finalists didn't win because her design style for fashion week was too repetitive and one note ( the lady with the red hair).
    Michael Kors summed it up that Leanne's could have gone "granola" but it didn't. And I agree. Laura Bennet's designs were "granola". I don't get why a lot here don't find Leanne's collection absolutely sublime and tasteful.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Chorita KaBoom;3218293;

This is the Balenciaga dress Nina referred to, from the 2006 fall RTW. There are similarities in color palette, silhouette and technique, but not quite enough for me to actually say it's a complete knock off. I mean, just because Balenciaga used a technique doesn't mean it can't be done a few years later by someone else.
    Not that one! It's the more recent one where Jennifer Connely did the campaign.

My thoughts:

Compared to contestants of past seasons, this season's contestants lacked in talent. Not to say that none of them are talented; I'm just saying compared to past designers, they're not as great. Of course, there were some outstanding designs throughout the season, but I've continuously felt let down after looking at each of the designs from week to week.

And even with Kenley, this season also lacked in entertainment and drama. I know pretty much all of you hated Kenley, but I still firmly believe that this season would have been immensely different without her (a bad different).

But with that said, this has been the best finale IMO out of all the seasons. I loved all of the collections and I thought that each of them designed at least a couple of great pieces. For a season that lacked in talent and drama, it brought a great finale, a great runway show, a great final 3, and a great winner!

I've been rooting for Petals Leanne since week 2 or 3, so I was definitely happy when she won.
    Last edited by CrossingGuard; 10-16-2008 at 04:29 AM.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by watts;3218327;
    Michael Kors summed it up that Leanne's could have gone "granola" but it didn't. And I agree. Laura Bennet's designs were "granola". I don't get why a lot here don't find Leanne's collection absolutely sublime and tasteful.
    I don't understand what is meant by "granola". My sister is an outdoorsy type who lives in the wilderness of Utah. I'd call her "granola".

I do agree that Leanne's collection is sublime and tastefull.

However, it was a little one-note for what I would think a runway should be. But...I don't profess to know what constitutes a good runway show. So apparently, my thoughts are not on mark.

She has done some beautiful work throughout the show, too.

I'm happy with the outcome and sad it was (perhaps) the last show.

A couple of things I noticed - Kenley's wedding dress had been around the block a few times...the right side back part of the tulle skirt was drooping a bit and the feathers around one of the armpits was worn. Other than that, I thought her outfits looked great. My favorite was the flower paint dress that was compared to Balenciaga (see above - very close to the one on the right, even to the colors used.) She'll learn and, hopefully, take that fashion history course Tim recommended as well as search the collections.

Korto was true in her color palate to her inspirations. I marveled that two of her best looks were designed and sewn in that two day period which included models, fittings, makeup and hair design interruptions. I loved how her dresses moved on the runway. My favorite was the short skirt/top in the same pattern. I really like that pattern. She'll find representation. Now, she should design for my shape challenged body.

Ah, Leanne. I guess I'm a fan of sculpture because I'm a fan of every piece she sent down the runway. The softest piece was the look Tia wore - the long gown - and it flowed wonderfully when she walked it. My favorite piece was the white blouse with the straps and drop shoulders that was worn with the sand/cream skirt. She used a palette of four colors, actually...the blue (sunlight on water) white (the wave crest) cream (wave foam) and a sandy brown. Her collection makes me poetic. The only one they showed in the edit complimenting her collection was Nick, who said it was elegant and looked like it could be in the pages of Elle. HA! I'll be looking for that magazine spread, hopefully soon.

Best wishes to all four final designers...thanks for an interesting season.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread