Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emily - Season 5

Emily - Season 5

Emily

Home: Sacramento, California
    Education: Otis College of Art & Design
    Favorite designers: John Galliano, Vivienne Westwood, and Rei Kawabuko
    Fashion must: Great Jeans

Emily grew up in Sacramento, California and attended the Otis College of Art and Design in Los Angeles, where she learned the business aspect of fashion. She mastered the skills of trade shows, wholesale buying and press, all which helped reach her goal of designing her own collection. Emily has worked with XoXo, La Blanca, DKNY, Rozae Nichols, and Jeremy Scott. As a sales and press manager for Hysteric Glamour, Emily traveled back and forth from Japan 10 times in two years. In 2006, she launched a design team called "Smoke and Mirrors," which has become a successful LA brand. The biggest fashion influences in Emily's life have been her friends, her family, and her traveling experiences.

Re: Emily - Season 5

I'll say this... she has a unique style...

Thank God she's not a contestant on Shear Genius...

Quote Originally Posted by lobeck;3130303;
    Thank God she's not a contestant on Shear Genius...
    Of course not! she's a victim... er... model escapee from SG...

She looks interesting. I've noticed two mentions of Vivienne Westwood as I've scrolled the list so far. I'm going to have to research so I can see what she is all about.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I apologize for the beyond edit double post, but I looked up Vivienne Westwood's Fall 2008 collection at Style.com and all I can say is "Get ready for Face Paint". She has taken punk over the edge to the out-landish and to the point of clownish. Her collection is definately runway, but I could see a few pieces translating to the walkway. The interesting point is that three of this season's designers point to her as an influence.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

[QUOTE=Arielflies;3131667;]She has taken punk over the edge to the out-landish and to the point of clownish. QUOTE]

That would be because is the godmother of punk fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by serpentina;3131699;
    Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;3131667;
    She has taken punk over the edge to the out-landish and to the point of clownish.
    That would be because is the godmother of punk fashion.
    Ahhh...thanks for the information. As you can tell, I'm not a fashion historian, so appreciate all you can share.

Is the punk influence the deconstructing of seams and odd placement of buttons and zippers? Is punk the mastercard commercial that ends with "looking like you just rolled out of bed - priceless"? What is the difference between punk and grunge?

Sorry - my questions are off topic for interesting Emily, but, I guess I want to know if those wearing clothes to the bone because they can't afford a new pair jeans are driving the market design, or are the designers taking their cue from the street and forcing the limits of wearability while charging prices the kids on the street cannot afford?

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;3132287;
    What is the difference between punk and grunge?
    I would say the goal of punk is to look edgy and far outside the mainstream (prob as far as possible) while the goal of grunge is to look like you don't care (i.e., you pulled some rumpled jeans and a flannel shirt out of the laundry and threw them on).

shes in my top 2!

Kathleen(antm cycle 8):my gramma has no booty,my momma has no booty there for i have no booty

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast