+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Just thinking about the guest judge for the finale...past and present

Re: Just thinking about the guest judge for the finale...past and present

I found it!
    "The judges considered both their scores and input from the producers and Bravo in reaching their elimination decisions."
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. -Albert Einstein

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Here Kitty Kitty Kitty StarrieEyedKat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Runway victim;2799117;
    I think the biggest transgressor was Vincent. He continued to be let through even though week after week, his clothes were the worst.
    Remember his paper tube dress (his model couldn't walk in it) but Alison got booted for the paper brioche. There were so many instances when the kept Vincent & I was shocked & disappointed.

And then when we were finally rid of him (and angela) they were back (for "one more chance")!
    Thank you! I knew there were better examples, but I couldn't make my brain work hard enough to think of them, lol.
    Just found out I'm pregnant, 1/28/08!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Runway victim;2799117;
    I think the biggest transgressor was Vincent. He continued to be let through even though week after week, his clothes were the worst. Remember his paper tube dress (his model couldn't walk in it) but Alison got booted for the paper brioche. There were so many instances when the kept Vincent & I was shocked & disappointed.
    The most obvious instance of producer input that resulted in an inferior designer making it way too far in the competition is, IMO, WENDY PEPPER. To say that Vincent making it to the final five or six in any way compares to Wendy Pepper showing at Bryant Park blows my mind, in fact.

Well, the pattern is there, that's for sure. From Wendy to Santino to Vincent/Jeffrey to Ricky (and, IMO, Rami, but that's just me).

Personally I think the format is strong enough to work, even without a wacky or evil designer thrown in. PR is already "good TV", it doesn't need a lot of the other reality TV devices.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I just remember on Season 1 where Nancy O'Dell said she liked Wendys the best and then there is a shot of Nina and Micheal just looking at one another and the look just said "oh sh*t" that always cracks me up when I see it.

I can see how the producer input weighs in (like with Vincent, Angela, and Wendy), but besides Wendy I have never really had a problem with the final contenders. And, in retrospect, Wendy's obnoxiousness did make that finale a lot more entertaining.

In addition, I have never disagreed with the judges' final choice. I was certain they'd go with Kara for season one since Jay hadn't won any challenges, and I LOVED Jay's line; I was then pleasantly surprised he won. Season II (the most disappointing runway competition of the three, in my opinion, because everyone did a wearable-right-off-the-runway collection) should have and did go to Chloe, and for Season III Jeffrey's line was definitely the most exciting and promising to me.

I think all four remaining contenders this season are excellent and far above Season II, more interesting than last Season (and light years better than Wendy Pepper) - well, besides the dullness of Rami's repeated drapery gowns.

Quote Originally Posted by tousselchick;2800352;
    I just remember on Season 1 where Nancy O'Dell said she liked Wendys the best and then there is a shot of Nina and Micheal just looking at one another and the look just said "oh sh*t" that always cracks me up when I see it.
    What I didn't like about that challenge, as a last challenge, was that they had to please someone. For the other seasons they've been given more free hands to express themselves, who they are as a designer, but for S1, they had to please Nancy O'Dell. And this was Wendy's ticket into the final three, since she wasn't very creative as a designer, but she took direction well (which is why she won the Banana Republic challenge also, she didn't have to make the creative decisions).

Quote Originally Posted by texasgal26;2800557;
    I can see how the producer input weighs in (like with Vincent, Angela, and Wendy), but besides Wendy I have never really had a problem with the final contenders. And, in retrospect, Wendy's obnoxiousness did make that finale a lot more entertaining.

In addition, I have never disagreed with the judges' final choice. I was certain they'd go with Kara for season one since Jay hadn't won any challenges, and I LOVED Jay's line; I was then pleasantly surprised he won. Season II (the most disappointing runway competition of the three, in my opinion, because everyone did a wearable-right-off-the-runway collection) should have and did go to Chloe, and for Season III Jeffrey's line was definitely the most exciting and promising to me.

I think all four remaining contenders this season are excellent and far above Season II, more interesting than last Season (and light years better than Wendy Pepper) - well, besides the dullness of Rami's repeated drapery gowns.
    Wendy knew how to cater to a client, but like Laura she was too niche market. Wendy was talented, she had that BR challenge in the bag from the beginning. I did think it was a huge fluke that she ended up beating Austin out, but in the end it was Kara Saun who turned out to be the most obnoxious of them all. I think from the beginning the guest judge has been pointless. What the hell do Parker Posey, Debra Messing and Victorya Beckham really know about fashion? However, I was pleasantly surprised by Debra's knowledge, and thought it was funny that Posey seemed to favor Wendy's line because it was much like what she was wearing herself. Victorya Beckham seems to strictly follow trend so I know she will favor Christian's line. Jeffrey was the biggest disappointment. That was the biggest throwaway ever, he already had an established business dealing to a certain clientèle and it was anything but new or innovative. Uli should have been the one to win!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;2800239;
    The most obvious instance of producer input that resulted in an inferior designer making it way too far in the competition is, IMO, WENDY PEPPER. To say that Vincent making it to the final five or six in any way compares to Wendy Pepper showing at Bryant Park blows my mind, in fact.
    Not to put to fine a point on it (as my Grandmother used to say...)
    But here is why Vincent is my choice for worst designer ever continuing on PR.

Episode 1: Challenge-To make clothes from apartment materials
    Stacey's model's underwear was showing vs. Vincent's BASKET (with chains hanging down) on his models head???? Not to mention a fugly shift dress with a weird pocket on the front.

Episode 2: Challenge- Miss America
    Malan's chocolate roushed bodice vs. Vincent's green slip dress with "wings" on the shoulders???

Episode 3: Challenge - Dog's
    Katherine's green dress (with quilted doggy coat) vs. Vincent's Black tank dress and Leggings with a beret???

Episode 4: Not Applicable -Team Challenge (Team Angela won and her outfit was at Macy's- Vincent pretty much kept quiet with his team). Keith was booted for cheating. Bonnie got sent home for pants not fitting (which were made by Bradley!- He jokes that Bonnie is mean to him because she doesn't like his beard!).

Episode 5: Challenge-Fashion Icon
    Bradley's Crop-topped hip-hugger flairs for Cher vs. Vincent's Black and red plaid kimono dress for Twiggy???

Episode 6: Recycle
    Alison's "big" model vs. Vincent's paper tube???

I could go on & on but for the first 6 episodes I thought "this is Vincent's week" but every week he was in the bottom and someone else went home.

I know I should get over my Vincent hate but so many designer's got cut when I felt he was the worst and....... I still get chills when I think of him saying "it gets me off"!
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. -Albert Einstein

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

I agree that Vincent could have easily gone in Episodes 1, 3, and 6. Especially 6, since his garment was unwalkable.

And IMO Wendy could have gone (but didn't) in Episode 1 (The Rio candy bikini), 5 (wedding gown), 6 (half a bathing suit), and 8 (Postal Service).

It's a tough call!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast