+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 10/4 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    My favorite line of the reunion was Kayne saying that his model was a
    hypochondriac.

I couldn't belive Vincent was so angry over his shirts. I understand they cost a lot of money but I thought he might hit that producer.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy View Post
    Both seemed to approach the situation from completely different (perhaps opposite) perspectives IMO. Darlene seemed to see the occasion as part of a fun, 'treat the mothers' trip to New York City. Almost like a mother's day weekend. She also seemed to think the dress was being 'designed for her' and thus her tastes/wishes would be taken into account.

Jeffrey was seeing this as a challenge that could send him home and end his dream of winning the contest. So his main concern was to represent his design style well. He is also used to a different 'social code' and milieu. In his world, 'talking behind his back' could only mean backstabbing.

Darlene was a fish out of water, and trying to adapt at any given moment. She fell back on what she knew - that you don't overtly criticise, if you dislike something you are tactful about it. Jeffrey mistook her attempt at tact, at being dishonest. But to her, (Midwestern background, etc.) his request to "tell me to my face" would have meant being rude. It would have equaled a gratuitous insult, in her translation of the situation. However, when Tim asked what she thought, (And the designer wasn't there for his feelings to be hurt), she felt someone in authority was asking her to comply and she did (assumed she had to). (This setting was very different than what she is used to.)

I do not think Darlene intended to sabotage Jeffrey (I did get a bit of that sense from Robert's model aka Vincent's sister, however...the way she tossed the scarf as if it was about to bite her). I think she was simply floundering to know how just to behave, but tried to err on the polite side when it came to Jeffrey himself. I think she did feel bewildered due to all of the above.

I can also understand Jeffrey's panic at what he saw as his being undermined with Tim. (However he should know, Tim's more fair than that and not so easily influenced...) He clearly wants to win badly. Bottom line though? As Robert said, Jeffrey still could have handled things differently. The client is always to be treated well. I think adrenaline got the better of him.

I honestly think Darlene thought the weekend was a treat for the mothers, and that's why she said "it's been so great up til now". The other women were perhaps a bit more sophisticated and didn't mistake it for a treat from the show. And then, the more defensive Jeffrey felt, the more insulting he got.

For the record too, I recall Darlene telling Jeffrey she wanted a blazer (not a muumuu) and also that she disliked the colors, (specifically the light blue) or am I wrong? I mean the storm has passed and this is all just academic. But long as we're talking about this.....

I'm actually wondering whether the Jeffrey/Darlene situation should be its own thread.
    Again another beautiful response the only issue I disagree with you is that these outfits were being designed for the moms, that is why there was that interview process were the moms and the designers talked and there are clips showing that each mom said I like this and I don't like that and these are the colors I like to wear. Still if it was me I even it I had hated the outfit I still would have done the best job possible on the runway, but if a judge had asked me if I liked it etc... I would have been honest and said I told my designer I never wore blue and he put blue into it and that just shows me that he was not listening to what I was saying.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

S3: Mom Challenge
    S2: Designer Makeover
    S1: Wedding Gowns

Part of the challenge in each of these were not just to fashion a winning garment, but to successfully communicate with and satisfy a client. It's a part of being a designer, especially around red carpet season, and how the designer deals with the client is just as important.

Honestly, to this day I can't figure out how Robert went home instead of Jeffrey.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Thanks Bearcata. To clarify though (I didn't elucidate this point well in the prior post) I meant that her focus was more on the 'do something nice for designers' moms'/weekend in NYC/see your kid rather than 'this is a competition, how can I help or sabotage the one designing for me'. In other words, that she was innocent of some type of devious plan, and just was trying to communicate "this is the style I like". She was baffled then, when Jeffrey basically didn't care, and was gonna do his thing.

I wonder if she even thought they could keep the finished outfits? (Her disappointment in not having what she'd like to wear, seemed a bit outré if she was only modeling it once - unless, of course, she's thinking "people back home will see me in this/this is my big moment in life/I'm on teevee!" Which would be totally understandable, too.)

I wanted to say something about Tim/Vincent though - switching topics a bit - when Tim said he only addressed Vincent's designs and not Vincent himself in Tim's Take or podcasts, that isn't entirely true. He made fun of Vincent himself more than once. I was a bit surprised at Tim's mendacity.

Extra points for spotting the Tim Gunn SAT words above!!
    Last edited by Brandy; 10-09-2006 at 02:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy View Post
    I wanted to say something about Tim/Vincent though - switching topics a bit - when Tim said he only addressed Vincent's designs and not Vincent himself in Tim's Take or podcasts, that isn't entirely true. He made fun of Vincent himself more than once. I was a bit surprised at Tim's mendacity.

Extra points for spotting the Tim Gunn SAT words above!!
    I had the same thought when I first heard Tim make this claim. I replied to the TV (in my mind), "Oh, I don't THINK so, Tim, your podcasts are gonna come back to bite you on this one!" He talked smack about Vincent in almost every edition!
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    I had the same thought when I first heard Tim make this claim. I replied to the TV (in my mind), "Oh, I don't THINK so, Tim, your podcasts are gonna come back to bite you on this one!" He talked smack about Vincent in almost every edition!
    Yeah, but was it truly personal? It was obvious Tim was never impressed by Vincent, and he seemed to be quite inconsolate about Alison getting auf'd before Vincent. But with all the opportunity he had to slam Vincent personally, he never really did (from what I can remember). He was just unusally harsh about how sucky Vincent is.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

It wasn't personal by some technicality, but he certainly never masked his extreme displeasure at the fact that Vincent was even still there some weeks. Such sighing! I remember reacting to his bluntness a few times...I may have to listen again, or see if it's the same on his blog at Bravo's site....
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I think that Jeffrey stayed instead of Robert because of the drama factor and Robert had continous boring clothing.
    F:A:B:U:L:O:U:S

Live Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Again another beautiful response the only issue I disagree with you is that these outfits were being designed for the moms, that is why there was that interview process were the moms and the designers talked and there are clips showing that each mom said I like this and I don't like that and these are the colors I like to wear. Still if it was me I even it I had hated the outfit I still would have done the best job possible on the runway, but if a judge had asked me if I liked it etc... I would have been honest and said I told my designer I never wore blue and he put blue into it and that just shows me that he was not listening to what I was saying.
    Remind me if I'm wrong, but didn't Darlene wore dark blue shirt and a light blue sweater when she first showed up?

Quote Originally Posted by wooh_okk View Post
    I think that Jeffrey stayed instead of Robert because of the drama factor and Robert had continous boring clothing.
    And here is where I remember the judges stating during the reunion "we take each competition separately and are basing our opinions on that one challenge.
    B.S.! They repeatedly refer back to previous challenges during judging.
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. -Albert Einstein

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

+ Reply to Thread