+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 09/06 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerSaysNo View Post
    With more TV shows pushing fashion stuff over the last few years, there definitely has been more exposure to more people about fashion. In part that's because of shrewd marketing on the designer's part. I have to wonder how many PR viewers knew who Michael Kors was before they saw his name on the show.
    I agree about the "shrewed marketing" ploys of designers. Michael Kors had his ready to wear crap in the stores here for at least two years before PR debuted. Somewhere during PR1, his section of clothes was suddenly displayed much more prominently than the Ralph Lauren and BCBG sections, and now they've got a freakin' huge display of his stuff. Granted, it's not the high end of his line, but it has gotten a whole lot more play than I suspect it would have without his stint as "Top American Designer" Michael Kors.

I really don't see anything wrong with PR encouraging those who want to know to learn about fashion and designers. If that "Comme des Garcons goes to Amish country" inspired someone to look up the label and check out the designs, and expand their knowledge base, what's the harm?

Harmless and unoffensive ComputerSaysNo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    I agree about the "shrewed marketing" ploys of designers. Michael Kors had his ready to wear crap in the stores here for at least two years before PR debuted. Somewhere during PR1, his section of clothes was suddenly displayed much more prominently than the Ralph Lauren and BCBG sections, and now they've got a freakin' huge display of his stuff. Granted, it's not the high end of his line, but it has gotten a whole lot more play than I suspect it would have without his stint as "Top American Designer" Michael Kors.

I really don't see anything wrong with PR encouraging those who want to know to learn about fashion and designers. If that "Comme des Garcons goes to Amish country" inspired someone to look up the label and check out the designs, and expand their knowledge base, what's the harm?
    I think perhaps you're thinking of his "Kors" line, which is his lower-priced secondary line.

His primary eponymous line has been around for over 20 years.

All I know is that I'll be very happy if it doesn't come back for a third season, because then I'll never have to see the word "auf" or "auffed" or "auffing" again.

Lol. They're even using it in their ads, now.

FORT Newbie
    My thoughts:

Kayne - I also thought the judges were too hard on him. I loved the overall shape and flow of this dress. The corset may have been a bit glitzy, but who cares! If he had covered it with material more like the skirt portion they probably would have complained that it was too "matchy"!

Uli - Very nice and pretty, but I have to agree with those who said it looks just like everything else she has done. I was really surprised the judges didn't call her on it (or maybe they did and we just didn't get to see it!)

Michael - I really like Michael. He seems so nice and non-gossipy. Unfortunately I didn't love this dress. However, he took a risk and that is what Tim told them to do. He gets props from me in that respect!

Laura - So boring. Especially after the collar got flattened!

Jeffery - Yuck regarding the fabric and his attitude. I wasn't that surprised that he won because it was more "edgy" than the other designs, but I didn't think it was that edgy for him. I agree that his model totally sold this dress for him - she has a great walk! When she turned around for the judges I thought the back was even worse than the front, it was really "patchworky".

Vincent - awful![/QUOTE]

I agree with almost all of this. I thought Kayne was too harshly criticized. That dress was beautiful, it fit better than the others, and the skirt just flowed and floated behind the model. Lovely.

Uli - it's the first dress of hers that I truly liked, but again....she's a one-note. Enough with the halter dresses!

Poor Michael....he was out of his element, and he knew it. I have to give credit for trying so hard....but....yuk on the dress.

Laura...another one-note. *sigh* Boring.

Jeffrey - UGH!! Geez...that fabric....it looks like something a person would take out of a scrap bag to make some quickie curtains for a camper or something. Ptooey!

Vincent - Poor, crazy Vincent. Half the time, I feel sorry for him, and the other half, I'm just annoyed. But, no matter how much he talked himself up, he was kinder and gentler than Jeffrey. Jeffrey thinks he's the bee's knees of design....and nobody on the show can compare, but he is also a mean-spirited butt head, and could use a good smack, IMHO.

My choice for top three.......
    1) Michael
    2) Kayne
    3) Flip a coin......who cares?

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerSaysNo View Post
    I think perhaps you're thinking of his "Kors" line, which is his lower-priced secondary line.

His primary eponymous line has been around for over 20 years.
    That's exactly my point. He is using this show to promote his newer crappy mass market line. SE Louisiana wouldn't necessarily have a large, prominent display of his lower end lines in department stores without the exposure he's gotten on PR. (I still haven't forgiven him for that nasty purple lizard print fabric he made a blouse and fabric out of and sold in his cheap line. A girl at my office wears it constantly. Purple lizard print pants do NOT look good on anyone, even with her size 4, 6ft tall body.) But the guy is now on QVC, so you know he's sold out.

Of course, the higher end line has been around for a lot longer and actually has a lot better stuff. Otherwise I wouldn't have been a footwear customer of the Michael Kors line for about ten years now. Prior to then, it was harder to swing the shoe payments.

Sold out? These people are designers for the purpose of selling their clothes. Why shouldn't they take advantage of the promotional leverage the show gives them? Fashion is a business just like television.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

at least they use to focus on the actual designs a lot more. now they don't have much time because they try to develop these huge character plots

FORT Newbie
    HELLO,
    Just newly registered..!! I am obsessed with PR(along with my daughters...lol) Just wanted to add my 2 cents. I hope Michael takes the whole thing..He has been very consistent with his designs..very professional and right on the money..!! I'm thinking he will be joined by Jeffrey and Laura(really want Kayne to be there,but don't think so..BOO) Thanks

I haven't been on in awhile and have not read every post I have missed so I am sure this has been covered somewhere. HOWEVER, I wish that PR would have better Editing. It is so predictable who is going to be "Auf-ed." I agree it should have been Vincent last night. When he was kissing up to the French lady I was LOL! Sure didn't help-did it? And also, they were all too hard on Kayne. His dress was the best looking IMO. I suppose it wasn't 'couture' though. But really, none of them were "true" couture.
    Laura is a one trick pony and so is Uli. I keep thinking Uli will win because she sounds like Heidi. I hope the final two are Michael and Jeffrey. Kayne could be third.

+ Reply to Thread