+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 09/06 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Harmless and unoffensive ComputerSaysNo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandy View Post
    I dunno... I am from Middle America, although I live in L.A. now. They get fashion magazines and fashion runway shows on internet and cable Tv just like on both coasts. My mother bought every fashion magazine there was, as I was growing up.

I think the popularity of Project Runway in itself attests to the level of sophistication (if that = knowing who designers are) and taste out there. I think it was some of the comments in the show, and the way they were made, that some objected to. People realise that clothes drape better on "hangers with a head" as Kathy Griffin puts it.

I agree with Nina that fashion has been democratised already - because it's been made so much more accessible.

Couture however isn't pret a porter and is not meant to be as wearable by the average person - I can see Uli's gown looking great on Uma Thurman for instance (the Paris model resembled her) but not on the average woman with lumps and bumps. And that's just fine.
    I grew up in Jersey. Believe me, I know tacky. I grew up with it.

With more TV shows pushing fashion stuff over the last few years, there definitely has been more exposure to more people about fashion. In part that's because of shrewd marketing on the designer's part. I have to wonder how many PR viewers knew who Michael Kors was before they saw his name on the show. And I wonder how many of them freaked out when they found out that one of his dresses cost about the same as their mortgage payment for three months.

Who got the "Comme des Garcons goes to Amish country" reference?

No, we're not talking brain surgery or land mine removal here. But I find it hard to swallow when people get so indignant about some of the judging on PR (which sometimes IS blatantly screwed up and contradictory, just like in fashion in general) when it's really, really obvious they don't know what their talking about and their basis for their opinion is what they've seen at the mall at Bebe.
    Last edited by ComputerSaysNo; 09-07-2006 at 04:31 PM.

Heidi said last night that there is a benefit to being a winner, but there is no more immunity. What benefit did Jeffrey get last night? I didn't catch it.

Harmless and unoffensive ComputerSaysNo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Misaru View Post
    Heidi said last night that there is a benefit to being a winner, but there is no more immunity. What benefit did Jeffrey get last night? I didn't catch it.
    Apparently all these "benefits" will be revealed soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerSaysNo View Post

No, we're not talking brain surgery or land mine removal here. But I find it hard to swallow when people get so indignant about some of the judging on PR (which sometimes IS blatantly screwed up and contradictory, just like in fashion in general) when it's really, really obvious they don't know what their talking about and their basis for their opinion is what they've seen at the mall at Bebe.
    Jeffrey got the Amish country comment in the mom challenge.

I thought AKat and Redsox Girl were never going to watch PR again...aaaaahhhhh, this show has very deep hooks into ALL of us, doesn't it?

Once again, I find myself in the strange position of defending Jeffrey and going against the general consensus on the board.

"Couture" is what was requested and the original definition, in French, for "couture" is sewing or needlework. This challenge was MORE than just "make a pretty gown" (sorry, Uli)...it was MORE than just "take a simple dress and add a floofy collar to it" (sorry, Laura)...it was about craftsmanship.

Jeffrey, from what I saw on the show, hand sewed everything on his dress...
    Vincent, on the other hand, glued everything in place.

I agree with Tim Gunn (and ComputerSaysNo) in pointing out the Westwood-ian-ness of the dress...but it was also very Jeffrey--yet, at the same time, it was a surprising burst of sunny color from someone whose color palette is normally much darker and much gloomier.

I think Jeffrey's dress is the only dress in this challenge to really make a statement... I think that's something that has become wrapped up in a more modern definition of "couture."

I thought Uli's dress was very pretty...but we've seen her make that dress before...just as we've seen Laura make the same dress before (she pinned her entire hopes on a collar that she felt could hide the fact that she didn't really do much here...and when the collar got less "poofy"--she was exposed for creating a rather dull piece.)

I think Michael understood his limitations here. He is not a couture designer and he knew it--yet, he understood what was being requested of him and tried his best to deliver. The fact that he got much closer to the target than Vincent, who should KNOW what couture is about but failed in every way imaginable here, proves to me that Michael's instincts are right on...and that even if he doesn't win PR, he's moving in the right direction.

(I understand why people can't cheer for Jeffrey--and, despite my defending him here, I'm actually with you. Michael...now there's someone worth cheering for...)

That brings us to Kayne's dress. I liked the asymetrical corset threading in the back...and I rather liked the skirt. I felt, like Tim Gunn did...like the judges did...that the rest of the top pushed him from couture into costumery. Everything Kayne designs looks like it is meant to be seen on a woman sitting on the back of a convertible, waving "elbow, elbow, wrist-wrist-wrist" to the people who came for the Discover Greater Omaha Days Parade. He's GOOD at that...but, like Vincent, he seems to be so in love with himself and his own work that he can't objectively SEE what needs to be seen. (Michael has an amazing self-perspective, by the way...very intuitive as to how he's done and what he needs to learn...)

So...many of you have made up your mind about Tattooed Neck Boy...and many of you don't share his design sensibility. I can accept that.

To me, he's simply someone who doesn't suffer fools gladly...unlike Keith, he actually sits down and does his own work...he follows his own muse...and he really doesn't care if you like him or not. I don't think he's a villain.

Better yet, I think he'll come up with a pretty amazing Fashion Week collection... Far better than what we'd have seen from anyone who's been auf'd so far...and, if I may continue to dig myself deeper within the flock...it'll be far more interesting than anything that Uli or Laura would come up with...and far more believable than anything that Kayne would do...

I think it's down to Michael (this year's Daniel V) and Jeffrey (everyone thinks that he's this year's Santino, but I think he's a far less cuddly Jay...in that he sometimes hides his talent behind his bluster, but is both technically skilled AND has a very specific aesthetic.)

pg

PS--Truth be told...I love yellow tartan. So ignore everything I just said...it's all about the MacLeod Dress Tartan for me!

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar
    I'm soooo glad that Vincent is gone! That man sure has a huge ego. If you want to get a good feel for his enormous sense of self, read his interview with Entertainment Weekly... He says that he was the only true designer on the show and that he was the only one who deserved to win - the others are all just amatures. Man what a crock. I'm surprised his wife can fit in the room with that big ego of his! Bye bye Vincent! I won't miss you. TTFN

Moi
    Quote Originally Posted by pg13 View Post
    I thought AKat and Redsox Girl were never going to watch PR again...aaaaahhhhh, this show has very deep hooks into ALL of us, doesn't it?
    I believe what I actually said was I wasn't going to watch it again after this season.

At the moment I have an intellectual interest in seeing if they follow what I perceive to be the pattern of having one female designer with talent, one male designer with talent, and one village idiot in the finals. Village idiot then gets auffed first, most accomplished and "finished" designer auffed second and second-best overall designer wins.

I honestly doubt I will watch this show after this season though.

Laura

I actually like Laura quite a bit, but I was glad she was humbled last night. I was getting tired of her ripping on Kayne so much, especially bashing him behind his back and making it sound like she was concerned when she seemed to be gloating a bit. In my opinion, she needed to be taken down a peg.

Hopefully she'll stop getting on his case and go back to making beautiful classy clothes now.

Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by ComputerSaysNo

Quote Originally Posted by TunaFests View Post
    Jeffrey got the Amish country comment in the mom challenge.
    i'm thinking she meant who understood what michael kors was talking about --

from my understanding Comme des Garcons is the name of the "label" from japaness fashion designer rei kawakubo --- its "anti fashion"
    the stuff she makes is out of the ordinary in ways like -- one sleeve is different than the other or one is missing all together --(ala - the cosby show episode when denise makes a shirt for cleo to wear and one sleeve is short the other long and puffy ---whew did i just give away my age LOL ) things designed by her are desconstructed like they keep describing jeffery's things - which would make sense that he get the comment ---

and well i think most of us get the amish country part of it -- LOL

............i know this and i'm from the south -(or the southwest as they keep informing me - now that i am in south carolina) - not really a leader in the fashion industry --- i know some areas of Texas are more advanced in fashion than others -- believe me -- i didnt grow up in that part of the state -LOL - tho, we did live close enough to houston to get it much sooner than other parts of the state LOL
    Don't let the fear of striking out hold you back. -Babe Ruth
    I know right from wrong... wrong is the fun one

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
    Most of the models end up walking in one of the 3 shows. Gia may have been asking if she is still in one of those shows.
    Hmmmm. I'm still not sure of the timing of the accident vs the shooting schedule. I suspect we'll find out next week what's going on. She could easily have been coming in for a promo shoot, a prize shoot, a model aufing ceremony or just to pick up her paycheck.

+ Reply to Thread