+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: PR team on Larry King Live Friday 8-25-06 on CNN

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Thanks for the recaps guys. After posting this, I forgot about it and missed it.

I did see Showbiz Tonight on the Headline News channel and they had Kathy Najimy and Andy the producer on. Andy said that he initially saw Heidi's comment as innocent and more directed towards the outfit than the model, but both Kathy and Andy agreed that the comments made on the show could have a negative impact on women and teenage girls.

Welcome to Hippo Heaven dogabone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AKat View Post
    Heidi has even been bragging about what a great villain they have this season (presumably Vincent).
    I think it's more likely that Jeffrey is the "villain" she was referring to, not Vincent. Vincent is considered, I think, crazy but harmless.
    Mother Hubbard
    Queen of the Grammar Hammers

I think the main issue here is to have some respect for the models even if they can't for the viewers. There are lots of models out there. It shouldn't be difficult to find models that live up to their standards. But it's completely unnecessary and even cruel to pick a model for the show and then criticize her for what she is. That is what I find so hideous about this. And it's doubly cruel to invite the mothers on there and treat them the way they were treated. They aren't models and never pretended to be.
    Well put.

People who are working for you, and doing favors for you (and subsequent loved ones) don't deserve to be strung out high and dry for cheap entertainment value.

Even more evident in these two episodes, it seems the TV producers are putting the focus in the wrong place - ratings - and putting aside the real star of the show: design.

They may be "Bravo's #1 TV Show," but they SOLD OUT in the process. And that's probably the biggest disappointment - this show has so much appeal, THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO! Like Paris' scandal, it may bring in more viewers, but at what price?

I love this show and will watch it to the end - but grudgingly so. Now that I realize how much producers are exploiting Lady Design, I can't help but feel disillusioned. After this season, I'm not sure if I can tune in - I realize we're watching "filtered reality," but at this point, I feel like we're at the Crossroads or something...I know other shows have their shady dealings, but do they take their people to the firing range and publicly broadcast their humiliation?

Although, yes - good for Mr. Gunn for at least owning up to it.

One more thing - not everyone is privy to Fashion Week. For some of us [plebians], this will be the closest thing to seeing runway fashion come to life. Maybe fashion is a dirty world, but unfortunately, the TV industry is too.

Not exactly a news flash, but it's a darn shame about its recent casualties.

I'm climbing off

Moi
    I'm liking this show less and less for what they seem to be becoming. I find prejudice in any form extremely ugly and it's starting to affect my views.

I am going to London in October for vacation and cecided to buy a large tote bag since I can't bring a regular sized handbag and another carryon on the plane. I went to Bloomingdales today to look at their bags. They had a very large display of Michael Kors products. I didn't even bother to look at them because I knew I would never buy one. And he wasn't even a part of the nastiness in either show. I doubt I will ever buy an issue of Elle again or anything associated with this show just because of the way this has all happened.

For the record, I am a bit angry at MK for virtually offering Danny V a job at the final of PR2. Dan says he went in for an interview and then MK never offered him any kind of job at all. I think that is very tacky of MK.

Also for the record, I ended up buying a perfectly wonderful DKNY tote.

Moi
    Quote Originally Posted by dogabone View Post
    I think it's more likely that Jeffrey is the "villain" she was referring to, not Vincent. Vincent is considered, I think, crazy but harmless.
    DUH!!!! I don't know how I managed to type that. I was totally thinking of Jeffrey!!! He is obviously turning out to be the villain. Vincent is just eccentricly nasty!

Apologies all. Again, I meant to say that JEFFREY is the villain and Heidi seems really proud of the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by AKat View Post
    I still think the hideous part is that THEY picked that model to be on the show. Did they do it just because they wanted to insult her (and every other woman who is over a size 0)?? That is what I find completely unnecessary and inexcusable.

And, just for the record, I think everybody who watches ANTM knows perfectly well that any plus-size model they let into the finals doesn't stand a ghost of a chance of winning any more than they will ever let a fair-skinned blonde win that show.

I think by now it should be obvious that PR is very much rigged. Heidi has even been bragging about what a great villain they have this season (presumably Vincent). She obviously considers having nasty designers a big plus for the show. You can draw the conclusions yourself.

i don't see how this show is "rigged".....at every elimination the person with the worst outfit usually gets sent home. just because there was one questionable elimination (Allison's) doesn't mean the show is rigged.

Moi
    Quote Originally Posted by TunaFests View Post
    i don't see how this show is "rigged".....at every elimination the person with the worst outfit usually gets sent home. just because there was one questionable elimination (Allison's) doesn't mean the show is rigged.
    I don't think it is rigged in the sense that they already know that "_fill in name_" is going to win, but rigged in the sense that they intend to leave in a person or persons that they perceive are "good television".

Think back to the finals last year when we had Santino, Danny V, and Chloe. And all of a sudden in the middle of the finals preparation, they decided the three had to do a new item for the runway. If you read Tim's blogs and listened to his podcast, he said they came up with this because Santino was actually acting subdued, everybody knew that Danny and Chloe would act like a gentleman and lady respectively, and the producers thought the show was getting kind of boring. So they decided to add stress in the form of the new design, hoping evidently that somebody would crack and act obnoxious.

So, I think it is rigged in the sense that at least one obnoxious person is going to be in the finals. Obviously I couldn't prove it, but I suspect that Santino had a talk with his good pal, Jeffrey, and told him how to behave to assure you are in the finals.

Now, to assure that an obnoxious idiot gets in the finals, they have to eliminate some very good designers along the way, designers who are nice people and know how to behave.

I'll bet that Jeffrey/Vincent are in the finals. They are the ones who fill the bill here.

Quote Originally Posted by TunaFests View Post
    It's hard to say for sure, as we don't know what the execs and producers are really thinking....

Vincent's may have not been the worst, but was it the best? For the "everyday woman," Uli's was probably the most flattering, though I realize the winning design was how it related more to the model and the lil' PR bubble, not America.

Not to mention the most natural way how our star-crossed lovebirds, Jeffrey and Darlene, collided together in one fateful randomized shuffle....I realize Heidi pulled those tokens out of the bag in front of our eyes, but they couldn't PICK more of an explosive pair! Was it by accident that Jeff's chip was picked last? C'mon, who can resist....?

Maybe instead of "rigged," we should say "maximized for drama." Nowadays, there's waay too much of it!

Moi
    Quote Originally Posted by CrosswordJunkie View Post

Not to mention the most natural way how our star-crossed lovebirds, Jeffrey and Darlene, collided together in one fateful randomized shuffle....I realize Heidi pulled those tokens out of the bag in front of our eyes, but they couldn't PICK more of an explosive pair! Was it by accident that Jeff's chip was picked last? C'mon, who can resist....?
    I wondered how genuine that button pick was too. I know they have redone picks before. Tim says they had to do the designer-designs-for-other-designer one from last season over numerous times. Of course there were good reasons for that -- designers getting themselves, etc.

I just wonder that all of the fashion school graduates, practicing designers, etc. only know how to design for size-0 models. It amazes me at how bad they are. I used to sew in high school but haven't done much since. I still think I could do much more flattering designs than some of those talentless poseurs did. I challenge all of them to watch 10 episodes of What Not to Wear on BBCAmerica (not the lamebrained American version, but the British version). Watch Trinni and Suzanne outfit women of every imaginable size and shape and you might learn something that you don't seem to have picked up yet.

Sorry for the rant here -- I just totally hate prejudice of all kinds.

FORT Regular

Let's face it

The entire beauty/fashion/magazine industry revolves around the need to make women feel like we don't measure up--because if we're lacking, they can sell us something to try to fix it. If there's always a carrot out at the end--maybe if we lose ten pounds, or buy that $250 purse, or get a pair of Manolo Blahniks--we'll feel okay about ourselves--they make money.

It's as cold-blooded as that. If we all were comfortable with ourselves, we'd probably spend our money to support more constructive values--charity, education, political change--and not this nonsense. Heidi is just another brain-washed victim, as are we all.

Will it ever change? I doubt it. I believe it will get worse, and we'll continue to see more and more children of both sexes starving themselves and having dangerous sexual experiences because that's what the media tells them they should be--skinny and sexual.

It ain't art, folks, it's a cruel, shallow business that hurts people.

P.S. And just in case there's any misunderstanding, I'm a size six. It just goes to show how silly this all is that I feel that I have to add that so that I don't just look like I'm being defensive.

Also, I worked at Conde Nast in NYC for several years, so I know what goes on behind the scenes of the fashion magazine industry.
    Last edited by 5DogWorld; 08-27-2006 at 02:19 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast