+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: PR team on Larry King Live Friday 8-25-06 on CNN

Heidi said she doesn't have any more voting power than anyone else but.........as Host, Judge & Executive Producer- I have to question that.

Moi
    Quote Originally Posted by Runway victim View Post
    Heidi said she doesn't have any more voting power than anyone else but.........as Host, Judge & Executive Producer- I have to question that.
    I still think the producers have more voting power than anybody else and they don't care about talent. They just want people with nasty personalities on there as long as possible.

Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes

Totally agree -sometimes seems like the way the designer's are critiqued has little or nothing to do with who is auf'd

FORT Fogey
    Too bad this wasn't an hour. I believe that all the judges and Bravo have an equal vote. This show operates with integrity and is a serious search for the best designer of the group. Entertainment is part of the package, as in any TV reality show, and I think they balance it well.

Sure we hated to see Robert go but he had been consistantly bland where Jeffery offered some promise.

The debate over skinny models, real people and cultural distaste for obesity will continue until the end of time. Not every show can satisfy all of it's viewers. This is not one for overweight people to watch if it is going to upset them. Fashion has always been geared toward slim women and always will be. It is the nature of the beast.

I understand why the panel became bristly over the caller who complained about the zafig comment.

Big deal, Larry King probably tossed his usual softball questions at Heidi and Tim. This guy is overrated it goes beyond my understanding how CNN still has him around.

Moi
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbat View Post

The debate over skinny models, real people and cultural distaste for obesity will continue until the end of time. Not every show can satisfy all of it's viewers. This is not one for overweight people to watch if it is going to upset them. Fashion has always been geared toward slim women and always will be. It is the nature of the beast.

I understand why the panel became bristly over the caller who complained about the zafig comment.
    Sorry, dogbat, but it's not as easy as telling overweight people they shouldn't watch this show if it upsets them. Many of the shows viewers are teenage girls . Teenagers, even those of perfectly normal weight, have body issues. And having people on this show say that a size 4 model (or whatever size she actually is) is "plus sized" or "zaftig" isn't going to do anything to stem the epidemic of eating disorders that teenagers suffer from. The fashion industry as a whole and particularly this show needs to be more sensitive about that.

As for the panel becoming "bristly" over the call, the way the question was asked caused part of the problem. The caller asked if they were going to use more plus-sized models. Tim immediately said that he regretted using the word "zaftig" and I think he will be more careful in the future. Heidi launched into a spiel about plus sized models being part of the industry or something like that. I think she was answering the question but didn't really understand the implied criticism there and doesn't understand the effect of her words on the show. Nina, the one who was looked "bristly" never said a word.

I think the main issue here is to have some respect for the models even if they can't for the viewers. There are lots of models out there. It shouldn't be difficult to find models that live up to their standards. But it's completely unnecessary and even cruel to pick a model for the show and then criticize her for what she is. That is what I find so hideous about this. And it's doubly cruel to invite the mothers on there and treat them the way they were treated. They aren't models and never pretended to be.

Larry King is still on precisely BECAUSE he throws nothing but softballs, and couldn't come up with a hard hitting question if you held a gun to his head. That's how he gets guests who wouldn't go on other shows, or real news or issue related shows, where they might actually ask difficult or uncomfortable questions -- its the only show the Prez would go on outside of Fox News, remember. I really couldn't see the PR folks going on a show where they might have to answer awkward questions about producer input in auf'ings, their questionable decisions that promoted far less talented designers over those who were more talented, or call them on repeatedly insulting all those plus size and normal size women who watch their show.

As for their reactions to the one question that got through, on the zaftig comment, at least Tim has the grace to publicly regret using that word, whatever he may think in private. Heidi is clearly too stupid to get it, and will continue to alienate viewers by evading addressing the issue or making insensitive, un-politically correct comments. Nina I think gets it, and realizes what a public relations nightmare it could be, after all, I'd be willing to bet most of the women who read her magazine aren't model size proportions, but doesn't want to deal with it, or is too stubborn to take her share of the responsibility for really offending and insulting the audience. I suspect this is going to be quite the albatross around their necks for quite some time, especially since their producers weren't even smart enough to know how to edit the last challenge sufficiently so they didn't look so bad, and didn't even have sufficient wisdom after the fact to try to placate their plus size audience this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Runway victim View Post
    What I mean't by this comment is not necessarily that voting is fixed & drama/ratings are all they are looking for.
    I mean't that Heidi's point of view (Fashion is extremely subjective) will carry a lot of weight.
    I personally think the judges/producers have been disappointed by the past winners performance & are really looking for the next big thing in fashion (designer)- so when they don't see that potential- they auf someone.
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. -Albert Einstein

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

xSKATExORxCRYx
    I don't mind if I'm in the minority but I like the fact that Heidi and Tim were brutally honest when they said that girl was a plus-sized model or that she looked zaftig in comparison to the other girls.

Sure, it was harsh, and sure there are teenage viewers watching but the modeling industry is a brutally honest, thin-dominated industry. And for me, I'd rather they be honest and realistic -- even if it's shocking to some people -- than for them to lie and sugarcoat it.

Tyra and Top Model are the perfect example of sugar coating the modeling world so that no one is offended and everyone is offered "the same chance." Ultimately, however, it's inaccurate and it gives the false impression that the industry is fair and nice and good. Sadly, it isn't. It's harsh, it's cut-throat, and they'll talk about your weight, face or body.

I admire the fact that Project Runway is so embedded in *real* fashion culture (ie: showing at Bryant Park, having top designers like Vera Wang, Cynthia Rowley and Diane Von Furstenberg) and unfortunately, that means some of their criticisms are going to be harsh, etc. But they are an honest reflection of this industry, whether you agree with the standards or not. I'm not celebrating these standards, but I'm sticking up for Heidi and Tim when I say they are not these horribly offensive b*tches, but rather people who reflect the fashion culture in which they live.

But I will agree, if they think she is zaftig or plus-sized, why not just get 12 equally sized models to begin with and start with a level playing field.
    Last edited by stEEvEEdEE; 08-26-2006 at 05:07 PM.

Moi
    Quote Originally Posted by stEEvEEdEE View Post
    I don't mind if I'm in the minority but I like the fact that Heidi and Tim were brutally honest when they said that girl was a plus-sized model or that she looked zaftig in comparison to the other girls.

Sure, it was harsh, and sure there are teenage viewers watching but the modeling industry is a brutally honest, thin-dominated industry. And for me, I'd rather they be honest and realistic -- even if it's shocking to some people -- than for them to lie and sugarcoat it.

Tyra and Top Model are the perfect example of sugar coating the modeling world so that no one is offended and everyone is offered "the same chance." Ultimately, however, it's inaccurate and it gives the false impression that the industry is fair and nice and good. Sadly, it isn't. It's harsh, it's cut-throat, and they'll talk about your weight, face or body.

I admire the fact that Project Runway is so embedded in *real* fashion culture (ie: showing at Bryant Park, having top designers like Vera Wang, Cynthia Rowley and Diane Von Furstenberg) and unfortunately, that means some of their criticisms are going to be harsh, etc. But they are an honest reflection of this industry, whether you agree with the standards or not. I'm not celebrating these standards, but I'm sticking up for Heidi and Tim when I say they are not these horribly offensive b*tches, but rather people who reflect the fashion culture in which they live.

But I will agree, if they think she is zaftig or plus-sized, why not just get 12 equally sized models to begin with and start with a level playing field.
    I still think the hideous part is that THEY picked that model to be on the show. Did they do it just because they wanted to insult her (and every other woman who is over a size 0)?? That is what I find completely unnecessary and inexcusable.

And, just for the record, I think everybody who watches ANTM knows perfectly well that any plus-size model they let into the finals doesn't stand a ghost of a chance of winning any more than they will ever let a fair-skinned blonde win that show.

I think by now it should be obvious that PR is very much rigged. Heidi has even been bragging about what a great villain they have this season (presumably Vincent). She obviously considers having nasty designers a big plus for the show. You can draw the conclusions yourself.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast