+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Kathy Najimy Sounds Off

Honestly, I thought it a bit depressing how flummoxed the designers were by some 'real' shapes. If they can only design for size 6 fit models, they're in trouble. How many of those are out there?

But I think it's indicative of the industry overall. It's so antiquated and short sighted. All I can do is roll my eyes.

Heidi definitely did sneer (in a previous episode) when she spat out "she looks like a plus model" - Maybe Emme should, no pun, weigh in on being NORMAL size and beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by nliedel View Post
    My issue is not with plus size as much as what is plus size? Not someone who is a size ten. That's for sure.
    That's true. And the woman who is technically obese and posted her wedding pictures, she looks damn good to me, wish I looked that good.

But I have a couple of problems. One is, and this is an overarching theme that goes beyond Project Runway, but is definitely fueled by such attitudes as those displayed on Project Runway, is that being prejudiced against the overweight is just about the last socially acceptable prejudice, and its absolutely condoned, even encouraged. (Prejudice against gays and lesbians is more venemous, I suspect, but at least in certain areas of the country, such attitudes are considered offensive and inappropriate). Another is, the fashion world's, and in this case, Heidi's callous and inconsiderate calling of Alexandra as fat or looking like a plus size model. When you call stick thin women fat or fat looking, particularly in the manner in which Heidi did, one often traumatizes and humiliates them as much as us bigger girls are, and secondly, is a slap at those of us who are bigger as well. I don't give a rat's @#$ that Alexandra is a slightly bigger girl in a profession that is often cruel and inconsiderate, not to mention obsessed with thinness, that does not make it OK to behave with disrespect to her, or to humiliate her on national television.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetNerd View Post
    Aside from the Fasion industry standards of plus sized etc... I just don't get the whole lot of it. I mean, I know I'm a big girl. I know I'm undoubtedly plus sized by anyone's standards... but according to gool ol "reliable" BMI I am Obese. The whole nation, and it's attitude needs an overhaul. Not just the Pro-skinny side of the debate either. Both sides need to wake up and realise neither extream is healthy.

According to Doctors BMI charts, this is what an Obese woman looks like:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...95165477jhGWAY

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...95165477mqpubh

Sorry I only have full body shots where I am fully covered in both my wedding dress, and a shawl. I don't have many non-face only pics... on acountta I'm so ashamed of my grotesque fat body
    Rubens would have loved you.

I think you look great.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey
    ClosetNerd, any of those designers would have scooped you up as first choice! You are beautiful!

Let's be fair here. A woman with nice curves size 10, 12, 14 would have been welcomed by these designers! You did not hear them complaining about Laura's mother or Uli's. Both were far above size 4.

As far as the plus sized model she probably was whatever size is considered that. 10? 12? even 8? They are dealing with runway standards and not making clothes for off the rack sales.

Ah well. I am in the minority here. Just wanted to defend the show and designers.
    Kathy said she was not going to watch it anymore. Oh I soooo bet she does! I do think that if a TV show offends you there is always the remote to move on. You just cannot design a show to suit everyone's needs and desires. It is my favorite show. I love it.
    Last edited by hepcat; 08-28-2006 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbat View Post
    ClosetNerd, any of those designers would have scooped you up as first choice! You are beautiful!
    I agree!

Some had difficulty walking.
    In an interview on his thread, Robert said Vincent's sister had joint problems and was not feeling well, hence her "difficulty walking". I think it's super that she put herself through it.

Harmless and unoffensive ComputerSaysNo's Avatar
    I have mixed feelings about all this.

First, I definitely agree that Alison's model was nowhere near plus-sized or even plus-sized looking. No, she wasn't as skinny as the other models (and it seems to me that most of the models this season overall are bigger than in past seasons) but for a woman her height, she was still thin. The models on PR this season are (for the most part) a little bigger than the more well-known runway models, but still very thin for their heights and definitely much thinner than the average woman.

If anyone's seen the MySpace pages of a few PR models (could Moon chime in here?) they joke to each other about getting together and eating "real" food or sneaking in a frozen yogurt. It's cute banter, but I still feel a little sad reading it. These beautiful women are under so much pressure. There are so many aspiring "models" in NYC and if a couple of girls refuse to conform to the standard, a few other dozen are more than happy to comply to get the jobs.

The fact is, clothes drape better on a longer, leaner body. Designers basically want to show their clothes on moving hangers. Does this mean it's fair or right? No.
    Last edited by Mantenna; 08-28-2006 at 03:09 PM.

Heidi needs to be a lot more sensitive and realize that the real-world is not a model size 4 world. Heidi acts and speaks like she is superior. Act normal and friendly, Heidi.

Welcome to Hippo Heaven dogabone's Avatar
    I think this episode provided evidence that FIT, Parsons, and the other fashion schools need to educate their students better when it comes to fitting a variety of shapes, sizes, and ages. Design students are taught with a runway model template; the real fault is in the schools' curricula.
    Mother Hubbard
    Queen of the Grammar Hammers

FORT Fogey
    Runway fashion is an art form that sets trends for manufactures and those who design for a wider varity of shapes. It is not intended to show clothes for the masses.
    Last edited by Mantenna; 08-28-2006 at 03:08 PM.

Welcome to Hippo Heaven dogabone's Avatar
    When we say "runway fashion," it is important to distinguish between couture and prêt-à-porter. Both are runway fashion, but couture features the more artistic, out-there ideas that will be tamed down considerably before they reach the mass market. Prêt-à-porter (ready to wear) is more conservative and usually undergoes very little editing before it appears in stores.

PR is supposed to be more about the latter, and many of the designers have been criticized for being "too couture" (think Austin Scarlett). (Of course, they are also criticized for not being "fashion forward"! Go figure.)
    Mother Hubbard
    Queen of the Grammar Hammers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast