+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Kathy Najimy Sounds Off

One thing that bugs me about this controversy-- when did "zaftig" become an insult?

If I recall correctly, it's a Yiddish word that means something like "ripe and luscious". It might actually mean "juicy", since it's close to the German word for "juice".

The way I used to hear it used was to indicate that a woman was "full-figured" in a 1950's "bombshell" sense-- not to indicate that she was considered unattractively overweight.

Unfortunately, the idiot media has conned a generation of imbeciles into believing that there is one, and only one, appropriate figure for a woman. Otherwise she is to be forever known as larda$$, or skeletor. I have no doubt that there are people out there watching the show who are referring to the unfortunate model as fatty.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fanatic
    When my grandparents (total old country European Jews) refer to someone as zaftig, it is usually a woman of at least size 16. They're not calling her ripe or luscious! They are a big skewed - I wear a size 6 (5'6, between 130-135, and I am muscular but still curvy (*see old country European Jews for blame*) enough to engage in some time-to-time self-loathing) - and last time I was home my grandma suggested that I wear a girdle so my 'stomach doesn't stick out like that.'

Honestly, I think Heidi's comments were less offensive and differently motivated than those of Tim and Allison. I think Heidi was trying to say what Michael Korange did articulate - that Allison took a model with a beautiful figure and made her look bigger than she is - a real no-no in fashion. however, I think Heidi kept harping on it and stressing things because she did not like Allison and wanted her off the show that week. There's really no other logical reason for Heidi to have defended/complimented Vincent three times during that episode when we all know his outfit was a laughable school-play Christmas tree.

Tim is the one who started it with his weird cattiness, and Allison seized on that to explain why she got kicked off instead of the certifiable Vincent. I'm willing to bet that Michael's outfit would have looked killer on Allison's model (who is just not a size 10, no way - maybe a 6 or 8, tops) just as it did on the stick-thin Nazri. Hell, I'll bet Michael's outfit could be fit for Tocarro and look sexy as all get out. So, I wish Allison all the luck making a career designing for size 2 women of 5'10 or over. Perhaps Rachel Zoe, "celebrity stylist," can hook her up with some of her anorexic posse. I'm sure Nicole Ritchie would love a nice manilla dress.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by DagnyTaggart View Post
    I'm willing to bet that Michael's outfit would have looked killer on Allison's model (who is just not a size 10, no way - maybe a 6 or 8, tops) just as it did on the stick-thin Nazri.
    And you'd be wrong. It would look just as nice to you and me, but the judges would have disliked it and dropped it to the middle of the pack. Michael had Alison's model for challenge #1 and #3, made beautiful dresses for her and was ignored by the judges for his efforts. (I posted Michael's challenge #3 (dog challenge) dress a page back.)

I don't think Alison even realizing the jeopardy the 'plus' model put her in when it came to the judging until Tim very bluntly pointed it out to her.

So, I wish Allison all the luck making a career designing for size 2 women of 5'10 or over. Perhaps Rachel Zoe, "celebrity stylist," can hook her up with some of her anorexic posse. I'm sure Nicole Ritchie would love a nice manilla dress.
    Only if she's forced to use yellow packing paper for the rest of her career.

Of course Alison knows how to design for 'normal' sized women. Look at her website and what she wears. She designs, constructs and models her own clothing beautifully -- that's all she wears -- and she looks a very healthy, around 5'6", size 6. Zauftig and short in the eyes of the fashion world.

FORT Fanatic
    I wasn't that enamored with Michael's dog walking dress - I don't think there was any way it would have won that week - it just wasn't exciting, and the neckline really reminded me of something from a Forever 21 type store. His outfit this week - a high-waisted pencil skirt - is an extremely sexy and flattering look on people of average size. I think it would have looked very nice on Alexandra, and I don't think Allison's model is what cost her the win.

So, I believe the words you were looking for are "I disagree," and not "you'd be wrong." I find it odd that any viewer of the show thinks they can say with certainty what the judges would have done, unless this is Seal writing under a pseudonym.

Remember when Tim criticized the blonde model last season. He was crueler then. Zaftig sounds kind of sexy, like "Isn't your model Bridget Jones?"

After reading Allison's take, I think the producers should work on having more runway body types in the show. The clothes would look better.

Quote Originally Posted by DagnyTaggart View Post
    When my grandparents (total old country European Jews) refer to someone as zaftig, it is usually a woman of at least size 16. They're not calling her ripe or luscious! They are a big skewed - I wear a size 6 (5'6, between 130-135, and I am muscular but still curvy (*see old country European Jews for blame*) enough to engage in some time-to-time self-loathing) - and last time I was home my grandma suggested that I wear a girdle so my 'stomach doesn't stick out like that.'
    OK, looked it up in the OED, and zaftig means "plump, having a full rounded figure, colloquial" - however, I'm also from a Jewish family, and the word was typically used in a positive way to describe a woman with an hourglass figure (which was considered sexy by those who spoke it).

That being said, I think Tim merely meant that Alison's model was curvier than the other models, and she needed to take that into consideration when designing for her. If she had the skinniest, most flat-chested model, he might have chastised her if the dress emphasized those aspects of her appearance.

I think that the combination of his comments and Heidi's remark made both comments seem worse.

Welcome to Hippo Heaven dogabone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by texasgal26 View Post
    OK, looked it up in the OED, and zaftig means "plump, having a full rounded figure, colloquial" - however, I'm also from a Jewish family, and the word was typically used in a positive way to describe a woman with an hourglass figure (which was considered sexy by those who spoke it).

That being said, I think Tim merely meant that Alison's model was curvier than the other models, and she needed to take that into consideration when designing for her. If she had the skinniest, most flat-chested model, he might have chastised her if the dress emphasized those aspects of her appearance.

I think that the combination of his comments and Heidi's remark made both comments seem worse.
    My old-world Russian (well, it's Ukraine, now) Jewish grandparents definitely used "zaftig" to meand hefty, and it definitely wasn't considered a compliment. In fact, sometimes they'd add to the insult by describing someone as being "zaftig like a farm horse"!

And why would you rely on OED to define a Yiddish term?
    Mother Hubbard
    Queen of the Grammar Hammers

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krom View Post
    Isn't Boom Boom Klum famous for being a bit oversized herself compared to the "ideal"?
    I thought she was. At the last Victoria Secret show she was definetly more curvy than most of the other models.

KLUM DEFENDS HER WEIGHT REMARKS

LATEST: Beauty HEIDI KLUM has dismissed criticism her new German TV show encourages aspiring models to starve themselves, because catwalk queens need to be thinner than "normal people".

Supermodel Klum has been accused of promoting eating disorders with GERMANY'S NEXT TOP MODEL, but she argues the show gives a realistic representation of the fashion industry.

She tells German magazine Spiegel, "In this job, models tend to be thinner than the normal people from the street.

"Who makes the rules? I don't. The fashion world does. You always say, the ideal measurements are 90-60-90 (34-26-34).

"I'm proud of the show. It shows how it is and it's entertainment. It's very professional."
    Link

I think PR show do a challenge where all the designers make an outfit for plus-sized models. Besides, Macy's already carries larger sizes. I think they might want to consider tapping into this market.

FORT Newbie
    The fashion industry has no place for 'plus' models. The judges just don't like plus models no matter what they wear. That's what all evidence on and off the show tells me. The 'plus' model killed any chance of Michael winning challenge #1 and #3, and would have killed his chances again in challenge #5 and #6 if he stayed with her. Nothing you've said is any evidence to the contrary. (I shudder imagining her in those hot pants next to all the skinny models.)

And I also note how the 'plus' model has never been used in any team challenge. Other designers with more runway experience than Alison knew how out of the ordinary the 'plus' size model was on the runway, and knew not to choose her -- she was one of the last 3 models chosen when Alison picked her. And reading Heidi's comments defending the thin model standard, it all adds up. I'm not in the industry, but I can clearly see its strict thin model standard which considers anything bigger unacceptable.

Alison doesn't need us to wish her any luck. She's a great designer and already announced that she's going to retail 2 of her lines in the spring. It's her model, Alexandre, who needs our best wishes that she can lose weight back to her model agency specs, to the point she once again looks like the unhealthy anorexic stick. That's the only way she'll be getting runway work again.
    Last edited by ShrinkingViolet; 08-23-2006 at 09:16 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast