+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New York Post Reports on Possible Sketchbook Scandal **Possible Spoilers**

I'd be kind of surprised if it was Keith. The guy is so unbelievably arrogant that I find it hard to believe that he'd think anyone elses outfits are even good enough for him to pretend he made them.

Well, it hasn't been proven what the "naughty" thing that happened is, and since he feels so above everyone else and calls things about the show "lame", I could see him being the one who skips out and has someone else finish a garment for him, which is another of the rumors...

Whether or not he copied the sketches or not, they are drawings on pieces of paper. In the first competition his sketch was original, and his dress kicked ass. Vincent thinks a straw hat with chains hanging down the side, or a plain, poorly ironed green dress with a cheap jewel in the center is haute couture. I personally hope Vincent gets kicked off, I can't stand him. Or Angela for that matter.
    Last edited by ShrinkingViolet; 07-29-2006 at 04:20 PM.

FORT Fogey
    Couple of thoughts....

In favor of the plagiarism theory:
    I read somewhere that the producers aren't letting on and want the audience to figure it out. This implies that they've given us enough info to do just that. A clue that might support the plagiarisim theory is found during the auditions.

The blond lady sitting behind the table with Tim during auditions (Chicago, I think) asked Keith why he didn't show the designs in one of his books if truly collaborated on them. We might conclude that the show producers edited this question into the show as a clue to the plagiarism theory.

In opposition to the plagiarism theory:
    There is an article floating around where Heidi says "One person was really doing something very naughty and he has to actually go earlier..."

The word "doing" implies more than once (i.e. actively engaged in the behavior). Keith's plagiarism (assuming he did plagiarize) only occurred once (that we know of).

With only this word as my evidence, I'm going out on a limb and to speculate that plagiarism is not the issue. Something else is going on.

I've read a theory that claims a designer smuggled design books into his room, and that this is against the rules. Michael is a newbie in a sea of experienced designers. As such, he may be a likely culprit of such a theoary.

And then there is Kayne. He has such a worried look of guilt on his face when he and Robert are talking about the situation that I can't help but wonder if he is the culprit.
    Last edited by Jexter; 07-29-2006 at 07:37 PM.

NOT MICHAEL! Puleeeeze not Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter View Post
    Couple of thoughts....

In favor of the plagiarism theory:
    I read somewhere that the producers aren't letting on and want the audience to figure it out. This implies that they've given us enough info to do just that. A clue that might support the plagiarisim theory is found during the auditions.

The blond lady sitting behind the table with Tim during auditions (Chicago, I think) asked Keith why he didn't show the designs in one of his books if truly collaborated on them. We might conclude that the show producers edited this question into the show as a clue to the plagiarism theory.
    This may well be true, that the producers have left enough clues for the really devoted fans to figure it out (or conversely, left enough red herrings to confuse and confound us). But from what is seen on the show only, without having seen the original photos, people might think he lied and exaggerated how much he participated in designing the dresses in question, they've shown he lies quite thoroughly enough for me, but nobody (myself included) who never saw those photographs of the runway designs would have concluded outright plagiarism of major designers without seeing those photos, they were the clincher, if indeed he passed them off as his own work.

Personally, I am convinced it is Keith, for a variety of reasons which I have elaborated upon in the Season 3 spoilers thread so I won't repeat them here, but for a different offence.

In opposition to the plagiarism theory:
    There is an article floating around where Heidi says "One person was really doing something very naughty and he has to actually go earlier..."

The word "doing" implies more than once (i.e. actively engaged in the behavior). Keith's plagiarism (assuming he did plagiarize) only occurred once (that we know of).

With only this word as my evidence, I'm going out on a limb and to speculate that plagiarism is not the issue. Something else is going on.
    I have to agree with you here, because Heidi's use of "doing" implies ongoing, rather than past tense. Also, I think her use of the word "naughty" in conjunction with Tim's statements that "this is totally against the rules of the show" and when the ejectee (presumably) protested about the stupidity of the rule, or the minorness of the offence, Tim responded "rules are rules. you'll leave tonight."

If the offence was a major as outright, flagrant plagiarism to get himself on the show in the first place, I've got to think there would be more outrage, harsher words used. If it was that goshawful, not that breaking the show rules and potentially talking too much isn't bad in and of itself, why wouldn't the producers have played it up more? Picture Tim saying "This is outrageous. It violates everything designers stand for. Its illegal" "rules are rules" implies to me that while the rule may be relatively minor, its still not as outrageous as sabotage or plagiarism. It also implies that the breach was of the confidentiality agreement, rather than something like plagiarism or copyright infringement, which would bring his violation to a whole new level. If he took photos which were copyrighted by a photographer or a newspaper/magazine, then photoshopped them without permission to create a derivative work, that could get him sued for copyright infringement. I suspect the producers didn't find out about the plagiarism after the fact.

And then there is Kayne. He has such a worried look of guilt on his face when he and Robert are talking about the situation that I can't help but wonder if he is the culprit.
    But Kayne said "there's some things going down that I just...I want to know the truth". If he were the perpetrator, wouldn't he have known exactly what he had done or not done, what he had been accused of? And if he was the offender, why on earth would he still be around to talk to Robert about it? They would have hustled the offender out of there so fast his head was probably spinning. OTOH, if the offender was one of Kayne's and Robert's roommates, who had just been removed while the camera was rolling, the camera would have been there to catch the various roommates' reactions to the goings on. If perhaps the producers and Tim did not disclose to the roommates (assuming one or more of them didn't turn him in if he was sneaking out at night) exactly why Keith was hustled off, it would be logical that some of them had suspicions or outright knew what he was doing, and some did not, and there would be some talk about it before Tim made the formal announcement the next morning.

FORT Newbie
    i don't believe it would have anything to do with michael, because the only design he's worked alone on was the first one, and that was completely based on imagination. If he was in trouble for using design books, Laura would also be to blame as well (Since they worked together in the 2nd challenge), and whomever he works with in the fourth one...right? Or I'm just being completely optimistic that its not him

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12