+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Laura Bennett - Season 3

FORT Fogey
    She is unique like the others. Any comparison to former contestants just doesnt work in any season.

I think she will be eliminated down the line for not having a broad enough range. Upper east side socialite clothes are just not for the masses. The judges are big on edgy, innovative and current. None of her clothes have come close to these adjectives.

you guys ever noticed how in shape she is, for a woman of her age?
    "And yes, I still walk like this, all day, everyday." - Jaslene, Cycle 8.
    "I don't feel like it's a modeling competition anymore, I feel like it's a f***ing personality competition, and that pisses me off." - Jenah, Cycle 9.
    *MySpace*

FORT Fogey
    She is only 42! I think she looks older than her age. I can't tell what shape she is in because she is so skinny but many over 40 look much younger than she. Sandra Bullock is one I can name off the top of my head. Courtney Cox another.

Her personal style creates the allusion of an older woman, which does not help. Put her in jeans, a baby doll top and hair loose we may see something quite different. I thought she was over 50 when I first saw her.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbat View Post
    She is only 42! I think she looks older than her age. I can't tell what shape she is in because she is so skinny but many over 40 look much younger than she. Sandra Bullock is one I can name off the top of my head. Courtney Cox another.

Her personal style creates the allusion of an older woman, which does not help. Put her in jeans, a baby doll top and hair loose we may see something quite different. I thought she was over 50 when I first saw her.
    I agree. I thought she was way older than 42 when I first saw her! Remember Stacey, the first aufing? She was 40/41...looked alot younger than Laura! With all her money she could afford to go to make-up/hair
    professionals and have them soften her look from harsh reds to a more muted, natural look. She also looks younger in clothes that COVER her sternum. Apparently she likes the up-tight, girl's school
    headmistress look (make-up) or the aging flapper look (attire). I can't imagine spending 8-12 hours designing in a workroom wearing some of those outfits she wears. Why cut to belly-button tops just to sew seams? I mean when she bents over, you could see everything that she...doesn't have.

BTW, how exactly did Laura manage to end up in jodphers and riding boots for the doggy challenge? It's difficult to believe she packed those just in case! That was really odd...glad she was wrong and it turned out to be puppies. If I were the owner of that cute wee dog that Laura got, I'd not have appreciated seeing her dismissive distaste for my little fur-one on tv.
    Last edited by Magic Mayo; 07-31-2006 at 01:12 PM.

FORT Fogey
    I bet the owner of that dog was worried. The owners were with the dogs the entire time, off camera. Tim's podcast talks about the dogs. Cute.

Her look is a studied one and found in that high society NYC crowd. Impossibly thin, excentuated flat chests, severe hair pulled back and dressed up. Jackie and Lee had a bit of that going on.

Hey, I'm a dog-lover, too-- but enough already, please.

I mean, all she did was refuse to get kissy-face with the adorable little fuzzball. She didn't hurt it, mistreat it, or even give it an uncomfortable outfit.

The way some people are going on, it's like she whipped the Pomeranian out of her bag at Mood and demanded, "100 more of these, and make sure the coats match for color and thickness. I'm doing a full-length coat with a matching hat."

FORT Fogey
    I'm really starting to like her. She was onto that snake Keith practically from the beginning. Knew him for what he is...a$$hole.

What I like best about Laura's work is that you always tell it's hers. She's got a distinct style that says "Laura," no matter what the project. Furthermore, she's a professional... she works well with others - look how well she and Michael wrangled Angela in - but isn't afraid to say it like it is. I give her a huge amount of credit for clueing in early on to how much of a "sh**head" Keith was.

I agree with one of the posters above that her biggest challenge will be to break a few of her molds and not come across as stodgy. She also needs to incorporate some real color in an upcoming challenge. Outside of that, she's the designer whose "entire line" (a la the final episode) I'd like to see most. That's saying a lot, too, considering how many decent, talented people are in this one.
    Coach Ken: "Kid, you make this kick and you die a legend."
    Curt: "Can I pee first?"

Harmless and unoffensive ComputerSaysNo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CuckoosNest View Post

I agree with one of the posters above that her biggest challenge will be to break a few of her molds and not come across as stodgy. She also needs to incorporate some real color in an upcoming challenge. Outside of that, she's the designer whose "entire line" (a la the final episode) I'd like to see most. That's saying a lot, too, considering how many decent, talented people are in this one.
    No kidding! In past seasons I had maybe 3 or 4 favorites, but I've liked a lot of what's been sent down the runway so far.

Laura has been doing some good stuff, but she does need to break out of her mold a bit (just like Uli).

Oscar de la Renta has done very well dressing socialites in super-refined clothes (I purchased my first Oscar gown recently and they are AMAZING!!!), so who knows...

Anyone else aside from me think how cute her rapport with Michael is? And what an unlikely pair too. The polished Manhattanite with the homeboy from the ATL. And yet it's so cool how they both have such a similar, elegant aesthetic!

The eyes says everything quangtran's Avatar
    I don't mind Laura. Her idea for the placement of the rosettes as buttons turned a bad idea into a good one. I'm not yet fond of her clothes. Sure, they look like something she'd wear, but I don't see that as a good thing.

+ Reply to Thread