+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Robert Best - Season 3

FORT Newbie
    i think this season is going to come down to Robert and Michael

I loved Robert's dress for the first challenge; it was adorable! The top for his Chanel puppy outfit was wonderful, too. I think he is one of the most professional and talented designers this season, but 1) the judges are being hard on him, maybe because they expect more, 2) perhaps he's experiencing a bit of an 'artistic funk.' Creative challenges are especially difficult, I think: They can help one grow artistically, and/or they can stress one out, make a person question himself and result in strange, unwise decisions. That's why I love this show. Good luck, Robert.

FORT Regular
    Face it, Robert is the most quoteable person on the show.. most of the runway quotes on this site are from him. He is talented, witty, and ALL THAT!

Mike

I think Robert is talented. In my opinion, his pieces are very saleable.

I really thought Robert was good, his pieces were never HORRID (I.E. Angela/Vincent). I really, really, REALLY liked his first piece...it was absolutely stunning. I'm sad they illiminated because he was "boring".

FORT Regular
    Well they can have the excitement from the folks they kept.. I MIGHT watch the finale shows... the rest...., I am going to see what else is on Wednesday nights. If i dont get my weekly dose of Robert, then bu bye Bravo. was shocked at how Jeffrey got SO UPSET!

Robert Best interview with Entertainment Weekly

Source

Best Defense
    Robert Best, the latest ''Project Runway'' ejectee, talks to Jessica Shaw about the judges' motivations, Laura's sex life, and his newfound status as a fashion heartthrob

After weeks and weeks of being called boring by Nina Garcia and Heidi Klum, nice guy Robert Best packed up his sewing kit. Now, he's back in Los Angeles designing more Barbie costumes, but he made time to call EW to discuss this challenge, his new cult status, and whether Jeffrey really is the devil.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Robert, I was especially upset to see you eliminated during a week where you weren't exactly designing what you want to design.
    ROBERT BEST: I have to completely agree with you. Not to be a whiny baby, because part of me says, ''Okay, whatever,'' but at the same time, it's like, those are clothes I would never design. Period. I have nothing against plus-size anyone, and it's not a dig against anyone who's plus-sized at all. My heart's just not there. I can't fake it. There are people who do that, and that's what they want to do. I would rather be doing my glamorous party dresses.

Why did the judges keep saying how boring you are?
    I think they were bored and they wanted to pick on me. I was the nice guy. They were trying to get me to come out of my shell and show my claws, but part of my whole thing is I don't feel like I need to go there. I'm not a person who feels like I have to take down people to feel like a better designer. I'm not going to be like, ''He sucks....He's horrible'' — other than to dish Laura every so often, because that's fun. It's so high school, and I'm 37.

Were you shocked when you saw your sister walk on the runway as one of the ''real women''?
    That was the best thing ever. At first I thought they were just bringing out real women. I think Angela was behind me, and she pierced my ear with a shattering scream, and I realized these would be people we knew. I was kind of looking for my mom, but my mom's health isn't that great, so she wouldn't have traveled. But I was so excited because I had done [my sister's] wedding dress and she's really my perfect customer. We vibe on the same style icons and cultural BS. I thought, ''Yay!'' Then Heidi started in on how there was a twist.

You were the second to last to choose. How did you decide between Vincent's sister and Angela's mother?
    This is going to sound evil, but it was really six of one, half dozen of the other. I initially wanted to do either Kayne or Michael's mom, because I'm closest to them and it would have been fun to build more on those existing friendships. As it turns out, I was paired with Vincent's sister, and I chose her out of the two because I had worked with Vincent before.

When you said how she wanted black and red, you sounded so miserable. Are those the colors of death for a designer?
    No, I just knew based on everything Nina Garcia had been smacking me on the head with for three solid weeks that they would think it was a safe, boring choice. I was torn too because I needed it to be flattering to her. This was not the time to make an eyesore or a joke of a costume. But I felt like I'd been thrown under a bus. When you're defensively designing, you're not operating at the top of your game, and last week I had been warned in the recycling challenge. They didn't show it on TV, but Heidi said to me, ''Robert, you have moved on, but you have still disappointed us.'' I was like, ''That's bizarre. If I'm being moved on, is it fair to tell me I sucked?'' All that stuff stays in your head when you're trying to think creatively. Then you're already overwhelmed, and you're designing on a completely different scale, and your mannequin is of no use

Were you all aware of the drama going on between Jeffrey and Angela's mom?
    That was all happening front and center in a very awkward, uncomfortable way. Jeffrey, never one to shy away from a good fight or belittling someone else, seems to enjoy confrontation. Angela's mother had the same passive-aggressive thing as Angela. It was a lethal combination, to say the least. Here was this wonderful moment to celebrate, and then to have this thrown in felt very unnecessary and ugly. Not to be Pollyanna, but I thought, ''Grow up already.''

And yet Jeffrey cried — cried! — when you got voted off.
    Getting to know him, I saw a very different person than who everyone sees on TV. We would make jokes and laugh. He got kind of a bad rap for being so negative, but underneath it he's a good guy. We were just getting to know each other too.

Were you shocked that Vincent, of all people, won the challenge?
    I don't think I felt surprised. I was kind of thrilled for him in a weird way because it felt like he was able to prove himself to a degree because everyone was always questioning him. Though I don't think he has the best instincts, I kept thinking, well, he's got to be here for a reason. And for the first episode he pulled it together. He always had a tendency to go to a place that he shouldn't or to make that one fatal decision. But in this one instance, he didn't go there.

Why did Vincent's sister look so miserable up there? I wanted to tell her to smile.
    She had an arthritic hip. She was in immense pain standing on the runway. It was also extremely hot, and she was not feeling well. That was a lot of the reason why she was apparently uncomfortable. Nina said something to her at one point, like, ''You're not smiling.'' I had to tell Nina it's because she's not feeling well. It wasn't like my clothes were so hideous that she's in pain. But what I liked about this show is it allowed viewers to tell me, ''It wasn't as bad as she said.'' The outfit Patricia [Vincent's sister] wore wasn't fireworks crazy.

It definitely wasn't as bad as Jeffrey's dress.
    I even told him. I was like, ''Yours looked like a costume from the starship Enterprise. We had a big laugh because he was like, ''My customer is the starship Enterprise.''

Since it seemed like all the guys got along pretty well, what did you make of the more controversial characters, like Angela and Laura?
    I always can look at both sides of things and put myself in the situation. Even someone like Angela, I could see her point of view sometimes. But she was just one of those people who can talk your ear off, always an explanation, very combative, likes to engage in fights and bulls---. And Laura was fun because she could dish it out but she could also take it. She's older, she has kids, and when you have more of that life experience, you're not going to take everything so deadly seriously. She's very entertaining as a person. I loved that she called Keith an a--hole. I love that she called Jeffrey out in the sewing room. Laura a lot of times says what the rest of us are thinking.

Could you believe it when she said she was pregnant with No. 6?
    I was like, ''What? Was it Rosemary's baby? Immaculate conception?'' I don't know how she's having all this sex and being on TV. Laura is truly the modern woman.

So how's life back in Los Angeles for you?
    I'm back in California working with my girl No. 1, which would be Barbie. There's been a lot of interest and notoriety and a lot of interesting offers. While this show has been airing, it's had its own life and changed my life in a significant way. You're no longer a private person. People recognize you. I thought a few fashiony people might, but it seems everyone watched the show, which is amazing and cool. No one's thrown a rotten egg at me or tried to run me over, so I guess that's good.

Are people harassing you at work for stories?
    Everyone wants the inside scoop. I'm going to start charging for Robert's dish. My favorite thing of all is complete and total strangers who will walk up to me at a Coffee Bean — they won't introduce themselves; all they'll say is ''Who won?'' I love that because it's just such an enchanting approach to meeting someone. That just makes me want to tell you everything. I always tell them I did, just to f--- with their brains because I think that's the answer they deserve.

How about the fact that you seem to have been deemed most crush-worthy Runway designer by the men of America?
    I'm so flattered by that. I think that's hilarious. I haven't gone out a lot because I find it very overwhelming, people screaming out things like ''I love you'' at me. But I haven't really changed. I'm still the same person nobody paid attention to. It's hard to take any of it seriously because I think, ''You don't love me.'' But maybe I'm going to have to get a bodyguard. I'm going to get all Britney Spears.

Before you go, I just want you to know that very first dress you made — the white one with the burgundy sash — was one of my favorite dresses all season.
    I love that people responded so much to that dress. It was easily my shining hour. If I had known that's how it would go, I would have milked that moment a lot longer.

So "plus size" women can't be glamorous? Whatever Robert. Yet another whiny, blame-shifting interview with a sore loser. And the "starship enterprise" comment, even if it orginated with Jeffrey, was just tasteless. Robert is obviously one of those deluded queens who think there are two classes of people, skinny and fat.
    Last edited by corprip; 08-24-2006 at 03:08 PM.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

Quote Originally Posted by corprip View Post
    So "plus size" women can't be glamorous? Whatever Robert. Yet another whiny, blame-shifting interview with a sore loser. And the "starship enterprise" comment, even if it orginated with Jeffrey, was just tasteless. Robert is obviously one of those deluded queens who think there are two classes of people, skinny and fat.
    I thought the same thing.
    One time I rocked so hard it killed a man

The difficulties in life are intended to make us better, not bitter.

Quote Originally Posted by corprip View Post
    Ditto. he clearly never seen the F-A-B-O Tocarra.

+ Reply to Thread