+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Show Speculation/Wishes?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy View Post
    I would LOVE to see them all get a challenge to design for plus size models! (Plus size PEOPLE, but modeled by plus size models). Wouldn't THAT be interesting. Most designers still shy away from this. But if they can design for a doll they can design for sizes half of America wears.
    I can see this, but I think it'll be more along the line of maternity clothing considering Heidi is preggers.
    DevilTwin
    Trekker and Geocacher

Quote Originally Posted by pearbobber View Post
    I speculate that we haven't even scratched the surface of Santino's colorful character. The teaser they played at the end of the fist week showed a tiny clip in which it appeared that Santino was having a full out shouting match with Nina Garcia. How about his awesome comment "Hey Heidi Klum, why don't you hand out 4 auf wiedersehens and let's really get this thing started". I also read in Entertainment Weekly that he comments to Kors, "I know a lot of people who have never heard of Michael Kors". yes it's going to be a fun and exciting season and Santino Rice is the ring leader without question.
    Last season, the judge everyone thought was the hardest was Nina Garcia. They said that you couldn't please her for anything. I'm very curious to see how this fight plays out.

The Michael Kors comment - ouch! How can it possibly help you in the competition to denigrate the judges?

I wonder if they'll have the Style person from Ebay this year. He should be saving it up for her.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I may be misunderstanding but what the heck does a fat suit have to do with modeling "real size" clothes???
    Um, yeh! The fat suit comment (someone made) was a tiny bit of a slam against plus size folks. Average size in America is 16, which is considered plus size. (Odd to start with calling average, 'plus' and not below average, 'minus' hehe). Tyra's "fat suit" was meant to replicate a 350 pound woman which would have been more like a size 28 or something I think. So, plus size does not automatically equal 350 lbs. to spell it out further I'm sure the person meant nothing by it

And I agree, there should be plus size models modeling the 'real size' designs, which would only add more fun to the episode and give another perspective etc. There are a lot of gorgeous 'plus size' models (Mia Tyler, for one), give 'em a chance to show their stuff! (Some designers do actually use size 6 fit models for plus sizes and so the proportions end up all askew. This field has a long way to go away from ignorance/bigotry.) Challenge the designers, give the thin models a run for their money and show another form of beauty.

Materinity clothes would be interesting too. I wonder if that is in the lineup for this season?
    Last edited by Brandy; 12-14-2005 at 03:37 PM.

Here's your sign JAFO'S PRINCESS's Avatar
    Um, yeh! The fat suit comment (someone made) was a tiny bit of a slam against plus size folks. Average size in America is 16, which is considered plus size. (Odd to start with calling average, 'plus' and not below average, 'minus' hehe). Tyra's "fat suit" was meant to replicate a 350 pound woman which would have been more like a size 28 or something I think. So, plus size does not automatically equal 350 lbs. to spell it out further I'm sure the person meant nothing by it

And I agree, there should be plus size models modeling the 'real size' designs, which would only add more fun to the episode and give another perspective etc. There are a lot of gorgeous 'plus size' models (Mia Tyler, for one), give 'em a chance to show their stuff! (Some designers do actually use size 6 fit models for plus sizes and so the proportions end up all askew. This field has a long way to go away from ignorance/bigotry.) Challenge the designers, give the thin models a run for their money and show another form of beauty.

Materinity clothes would be interesting too. I wonder if that is in the lineup for this season?
    I would love to see maternity clothes get hip(per) and I am a size 12/14 and have to wear "plus" size so I'd like to see some fashion I could wear.
    I might as well work. I'm in a bad mood anyway.
    "I like to base my help on how happy you expect to be." Dogbert's tech support.

FORT Newbie
    Um, yeh! The fat suit comment (someone made) was a tiny bit of a slam against plus size folks.
    i was making more fun of Tyra actually putting on a fat suit for a few hours for her show and telling everyone that she now knew what it was like to be large (not really relevant, sorry).

I agree that that plus size design focus is great and to the extent you see it covered by the mainstream - demand looks for slender beauties on the runway, obviously this idea is fed to us by companies choice to focus but... i guess this issue is a larger (hey, a pun!) issue than project runway.

i've seen a lot of comments saying "i wouldn't wear that" and "only that model would look good in this" but as of yet that has been their mission, to make those girls look good on the runway.

I am speculating that this coming week's episode they will design for... Barbie!

Any thoughts on that?
    LOL. You totally called it.

Thanks MotherSister, LOL!

pearbobber, thanks for explaining. Is OK anyway

Yes, I saw the clip where Tyra cried at her hurt after wearing the suit for what, an hour? Juxtaposed to a lifetime of being an extraordinary beauty and half a lifetime of raking in $$$ as a top model (Just saw her on Victoria's Secret fashion show)... meanwhile two women who really were 350 lbs. had to comfort her. Bad form I think - you're right, it was very shallow of her. If she keeps this up she will have her own Oprah-esque thread in which we can all dis her

And yes, so far they have just been slaves to fashion (or Barbie). But I'd like to see what they'd design for real people as opposed to 'couture'. That to me is also a challenge. If not more so. (Abstract/on paper is easier - without 'figure flaws' to deal with. And not Zulema's gripe about the size 2 'booty' LOL).

Here's your sign JAFO'S PRINCESS's Avatar
    And yes, so far they have just been slaves to fashion (or Barbie). But I'd like to see what they'd design for real people as opposed to 'couture'. That to me is also a challenge. If not more so. (Abstract/on paper is easier - without 'figure flaws' to deal with. And not Zulema's gripe about the size 2 'booty' LOL).

Yes, I'd like to see what they do with a "real" person (someone who better represents the people who buy these fashions) especially if they want to design for bannana republic. I have owned some of their stuff (gotta love Goodwill) it is not Coutoure it is every day easy to wear fashionable stuff. It fits well and wears well. You can wash it and put it on without worrying bout something falling off. I don't really understand the point of doing all this fancy, cotoure stuff to design for a general public. The general public wouldn't be caught dead in cotoure. That's the point of it....(I hope that made sense.) I guess my point is...Why not design an outfit for the everyday person? That would be hard.
    I might as well work. I'm in a bad mood anyway.
    "I like to base my help on how happy you expect to be." Dogbert's tech support.

I totally agree with you, Jafo's Princess.

And I've bought Banana Republic's tops before too, on sale... they're great. Just the right amount of 'line' and just the right amount of stretchiness. The fit was flattering. (Shows that even a T shirt-top can be different and takes some design). They will have to go to BR when done (although, Jay didn't - but assuming they will.)

You're right I hadn't thought of that aspect, the winning contract - although, also sounds like this year the $100,000 will not be connected to working for BR? - maybe in future seasons it won't be all couture couture. Having a Barbie challenge was promising (for that reason). Well - anything different, really. It is a lot easier to design for thin 22 year olds Not that I expect the show to start going industrial or anything. Then again - they did do a USPS uniform last season!

Can we post possible spoilers here?
    If you love someone, let them go. If they come back, they are yours. If they don't, hunt them down and kill them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast