+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Episode 1 -- Road to the Runway (**SPOILERS**)

Quote Originally Posted by JAFO'S PRINCESS View Post
    Do you mean you saw the episode where they were doing auditions and stuff? They were having season 1 people in as guest judges and talking to them about where are they now and such?

The first episode of the competition was on after that. you may have caught it and not the interview show. Otherwise they prolly will repeat it in the afternoons on bravo.
    I saw the auditions one and where they eliminated the 2, BUT i did go and catch part 2 yesterday evening

Love the show.. I was captivated so far. And I totally agreed with their decision to boot Kirsten.. her design just was so not good. I think they made the right choice.

Loving this season so far. It's hard to predict what anyone will design, and it's a lot of fun seeing what they each come up with at the end. And there's just enough drama and back biting to make it snark-worthy. I'm already rooting for Chloe, but that could change.

Santino is talented, but, he did not deserve to win the 2nd challenge - can anyone imagine wearing that? His things might be better on paper than in real life. (Or even for couture).

If everyone had to guess right now, who would you peg as the Final Three?

Me - Chloe, Santino, and ?? I'd say Diana too, but, she is already seeming a bit impractical for them to think she could be relied upon.

Quote Originally Posted by Closet Fan View Post
    Can someone explain to me why someone who got on the first season is allowed to come back for the second? Seems unfair.
    See related comments re: Stephenie on Survivor.

At least Daniel seems to have some talent and skill. He just had a hard time embracing innovation on the first show, choosing to concentrate on insignificant detailing. While the winner of that challenge was using cornhusks, Daniel used butcher paper and aluminum foil trimming. Not too creative. I think this micromanaging will be his undoing again...and almost was this first challenge. He was able to finish and impress the judges but not without significant stress.
    Welcome, evacuees! Over 4600 served!

aga
    FORTified
    From what I saw of the first episode, the contestants were selected from open casting calls and he just went through the process again.
    "We all know that we're going to get beat tonight." - Melrose (ANTM Cycle 7) when Monique gets eliminated from the CoverGirl / Queen Latifah challenge.

"Hi pretty lady...and Tyra." - Heather (ANTM Cycle 9)

I take it back about Daniel. From what he's done so far, he certainly has more right to be there than the people who've been eliminated, and probably some of those who haven't (yet). Plus, from a personal perspective, he was really annoying last season, he's much more likeable this time around. I have to agree with the people who have said last time around he was so focused on cut and fit and trimmings, and not on being more innovative in his choice of materials. Being a seamstress and quilter myself, I suspect he may be like me in a way, like him, I'm very comfortable with jackets and suiting materials, he's probably a lot less experienced and comfortable with the floaty feminine kinds of fabric that for example, Austin was so good with. As a quilter, and a dyer of cotton fabric, I'm very comfortable with all kinds of cotton (and was shocked more of the designers didn't dye their fabric), but he probably isn't. I really liked what he made for the second episode, I'm sure he did his own jacket, so he was very comfortable with the materials he was using.

As for the Andrae v. Kirsten issue, they seemed equally dreadful outfits to me, personally. (Actually, I can't believe how many of the designers were wearing jeans, off the rack t-shirts and jackets, instead of taking the opportunity of showing off their own work) Sure, he may have bought himself some points and saved his hide by having a mini nervous breakdown for dramatic purposes, a la Starr last season, but that'll wear thin very fast and he'll be gone, soon enough. As for Kirsten, like previous contestants from the first season and this, "verbal diarrhea" will get you every time. Also, she didn't have the creativity to think how she could use the scarf without cutting it up. There was nothing said about not being able to fold or sew the fabric leaving it intact, to be restored to its original condition later, although I suppose if it was part of the ensemble, it would be subject to a later Project Runway auction. Her designs were pedestrian, she lacked imagination in getting around the scarf issue, and she wasn't smart in how she handled the judges' questions, so she pretty much earned the buh-bye.

I like this season, although Season 1 will probably always be my favorite, but the one thing that has me "concerned" is the amount of drama queen/divaish/obnoxious behavior that is being exhibited already by the contestants, whether contrived or real. Oh sure, there was plenty of tomfoolery and some conflict on Project Drunkway, but I fear there may be more emphasis on the drama, and less emphasis on the process, which will be to the detriment of the show. I don't know how much of it may be deliberate attempts to adopt a Wendy Pepper strategy, survive longer than you should by becoming the show villain, but these are not a bunch of teenage girls on ANTM, this is not Survivor, these are supposed to be talented adults, more or less. Its supposed to be more about the designs than about the drama, not the other way around.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by TokyoNiGHTS View Post
    Yah taking 8 hours whne you've got all that time? If this is something you really wanted to do you wouldn't throw something together that fast while everyone else is constantly working on their designs.

I think this whole 8 hour thing is being made more of a big deal than it should be. First of all, isn't the whole show about designing under pressure in a short amount of time? And anyway...I thought John's dress was totally hip and adorable. And if he could do something that cute in 8 hours, to me it shows more talent. Come on...that first dress that Chloe did was even more plain and not even dyed. I don't sew yet I could cut out two triangles and attatch it to a body. It didn't even fit the model in the chest! And Kirstin's pants outfit? It took her a week to do a plain tunic top and capris? Please. Let John make my clothes any time.
    Last edited by verde; 12-12-2005 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by verde View Post
    I think this whole 8 hour thing is being made more of a big deal than it should be. First of all, isn't the whole show about designing under pressure in a short amount of time? And anyway...I thought John's dress was totally hip and adorable. And if he could do something that cute in 8 hours, to me it shows more talent. Come on...that first dress that Chloe did was even more plain and not even dyed. I don't sew yet I could cut out two triangles and attatch it to a body. It didn't even fit the model in the chest! And Kirstin's pants outfit? It took her a week to do a plain tunic top and capris? Please. Let John make my clothes any time.
    True, a lot of the show is predicated upon forcing the designers to design and create in ridiculously short amounts of time (which I for one regret), but when you are presented with an opportunity of a lifetime, you're facing the first impression you make on the judges, and you are given the luxury of an entire week to design and sew, you damn well should make more than an 8 hour effort, most of which was probably spent on the dyeing. And you should definitely not disrespect the judges by telling them you only gave an 8 hour effort to the challenge. At a minimum, you should make a dress that looked like you spent more than 8 hours on it. John's and Heidi's outfits were the weakest, there were other weak efforts, but those two were the worst, clearly. They both looked like Simplicity 2 hour dress patterns.

As for Kirstin, her outfit was weak too, which probably contributed to her elimination in the very next episode. Both of her outfits were weak, and she got the ax, and deservedly so. They can't eliminate EVERYBODY unworthy in a single episode, some are gonna last longer than their talent merits.

With respect to Chloe, as someone who dyes fabric myself, I would have liked to see more of the outfits dyed, however, as someone who does sew, her dress may not have been the most spectacular effort, but it definitely took more than 8 hours, and it was definitely more than sewing two triangles together. I've done serious alterations to patterns, and even made up some of my own, and she did a good job with that dress, even if it wasn't particularly innovative. Her proportions and lines were good, it fitted her model well, there was enough room at the bottom for the model to actually walk (unlike Jay's Calvin Klein effort last season) and the peplum (?) at the bottom, as a non seamstress, you have no idea how hard it is to get that right, get the fullness and the drape right, and she did a really good job. Chloe definitely has designing and sewing skills, even if she didn't have the most imaginative effort in this particular challenge.

FORT Newbie
    Good fashion fits well. I don't care how talented Chloe is, her first dress fit the model horribly. You'd never see that in a magazine or on the runway. And I don't see it as John disrespecting the judges by telling them he spent 8 hours. If anything he was probably trying to show his talent in line with the spirit of the show, designing under pressure with minimal resources and time. Unfortunately for him, it backfired. The dress was cute and retro, and no less simplistic than half the others. And it fit the model like a glove. Again, if he made that in 8 hours, he probably has more talent than half of them (based on his portfolio I thought he was much better than most before the show started). I would have loved to see what he could have done in at least one more show.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456