+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Nora - The Punk

I'm not going to disagree with the judges, but I'm still disappointed that Nora was cut. Most of the designers left are just so mainstream to me right now, listing Vogue and Elle as their favorite magazines, designing consistently very safe. It's too bad Nora sacrificed herself for the model's wishes. (Funny, the roses immediately reminded me of a chair I saw at SFMoMA last week. A lot of highly discerning people were stopping to say, "Oh, that's pretty!" Probably the same people who like Thomas Kinkade... :rolleyes Shame on Nora for designing that!) I suspect her elimination also had something to do with the previous challenge.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Yeah..I was thinking her elimination had a lot to do with the previous episode and her being almost eliminated there.

To be honest...her dress was fine. Even though it was traditional (nothing I'd want to wear), she stuck with what the model WANTED, and in all good senses..her dress would have sold BEFORE Austin's would have.
    So, I don't really agree with her being fired instead of him.
    In my opinion, they kept Austin for the camera(s) cuz he's almost like a "main character" for this type of show.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Quote Originally Posted by Salome
    I'm not going to disagree with the judges, but I'm still disappointed that Nora was cut. Most of the designers left are just so mainstream to me right now, listing Vogue and Elle as their favorite magazines, designing consistently very safe. It's too bad Nora sacrificed herself for the model's wishes. (Funny, the roses immediately reminded me of a chair I saw at SFMoMA last week. A lot of highly discerning people were stopping to say, "Oh, that's pretty!" Probably the same people who like Thomas Kinkade... :rolleyes Shame on Nora for designing that!) I suspect her elimination also had something to do with the previous challenge.
    bleh the dress does make me think of people who like thomas kinkade

Nora was all talk-with the exception of the lawn chair outfit, her designs never measured up the the hype she was talking. Her dress was the weakest-and safest-dress out of the bunch. Giving a client what they want doesn't mean tossing your design skills and ideas out the door; You are being hired for your expertise and part of your job is balancing the clients desires with what you think will work out the best. Her envy dress was a one liner and her wedding dress looked like she didn't try at all. Austin went overboard with that so-called wedding dress, but at least he didn't forget that he was supposed to design a dress and not merely supply one.

Nora is just like many of the people I went to design school with-an average designer pretending to be avant garde.

Team Renee//Team Sarah// DreamOf1000Cats's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coco_puff
    Nora is just like many of the people I went to design school with-an average designer pretending to be avant garde.
    I am also in fashion design school, and while I did enjoy Nora's designs. I do somewhat agree. My work is much more mainstream, as I would like to be successful, and my designs are rather conservative anyways - but what is avant garde really anyways. People in my classes throw the term around so often without really knowing what it means. Not to mention that Avant Garde fashion while totally amazing (Seriously, I totally enjoy that rather than the more mainstream work) isn't all that practical.

I mean, isn't the winner going to work for Banana Republic in the end... I mean, I recently did my co-op in Columbus, Ohio with the Express Design School, which is similar to Banana Republic in terms of it's fashion (Express doesn't use as many bold prints and patterns as BR, but still both are steps up from the Gap or the Limited)

FORT Newbie

Nora Rocks

I think she is totally talented and from watching the show she is a great person. She is so beautiful and I wish she would have stayed on the show longer. I'm sure she'll never read this but Nora You Rock and keep kickin it!!!
    Last edited by lovebug; 01-31-2005 at 10:24 AM. Reason: misspelled

FORT Newbie
    I don't know alot about fashion but i know that Nora has something and she should stick with it. You people that say she doesn't know fashion you guys are wrong! She has talent, and I like the fact she was able to deal with what she had. Her wedding dress was beautiful. She really should have stayed!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234