+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Vanessa - The Brit

See, this is one of our problems today, I think. Whenever someone is unnecessarily rude to others, someone inevitably defends them and say, "Well, they're just being honest."

Vanessa might honestly believe she and Alexandra and Kevin are the most talented, but it was just snitty rudeness to trash the other designers the way she did. She's lucky Heidi didn't crawl down her throat (I'm assuming Heidi either didn't read the interview, or refused to drop to Vanessa's level.)

Then she says it wasn't an interview, just a conversation with an ex-intern. Popgurls denies it. Where's the honesty in that, Vanessa?

Vanessa is the Queen of Stupid Choices (the closest to a title the little Brit tart will ever get.)
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

FORT Fan
    I'm the last person to endorse deliberate rudeness. But I think one viewer's rudeness is another's refreshing honesty.

I think what we may also have here is a cultural difference. I've noticed (not to mention having been on the receiving end of it!) that the British are much more cutting than Americans in their humor and general conversation. You gotta put your cultural filter on, corprip.

And also, who's to say that Vanessa is lieing. Popgurls could be lieing about th ex-intern thing. I see where Vanessa could've toned it down a bit, but I don't think it's the controversy that some are making it.

I'm one of those who doesn't particularly think much of anything Vanessa said was particularly shocking. Heidi is a non-interactive figure head, some of the contestants were chosen more on their personality/story than on legitimate designing skills, Wendy may well have drawn on the picture herself, the producers tried to use whatever techniques and methods at their disposal to get the designers to say lots of things they probably shouldn't have. Quel surprise. I don't know about you all, but my whole world view is overturned.

Was dissing the show prudent? No, given that some of the more amenable contestants like Nora, Robert and Alexandra got to do promotional bits for PR (and thereby for themselves) on TV like they did Friday morning on Jane Pauley. (You play the game, you get the perks) Now, was expressing her opinions and impressions about the other contestants prudent? No, but she herself said she has verbal diarrhea, and she's unfortunately proven it over and over again, especially apparently when she has some liquor in her. And equally unfortunately, apparently during the recap episode, she probably had more than a little liquor in her.

But this isn't a woman who makes particularly shrewd choices, or behaves in a calculated manner, she's very impulsive. She sets up her design studio in the wrong part of the country, and then compounds the problem by publicly dissing the area where she does business in an interview. She increases her inventory BEFORE actually experiencing some of the increased demand she expected. She auditions for the show, apparently without having enough knowledge of what they would be doing, finds out at the last moment she had made it, is ambivalent about whether to go or not, and then goes ahead and does it. She doesn't want to be on the recap show, but goes anyway, probably to defend herself, ends up most likely drinking too much, and making herself look worse, thereby harming her own cause.

Its pretty sad, if you think about it. She knows she's doing things which sabotage her interests, but doesn't seem to be able to stop herself.

FORT Fan
    Closetfan, I disagree with some of the comments you made.

The way Vanessa phrased it, the designers weren't told exactly what their design tasks would be during the show. Perhaps she would've said no, had she known beforehand.

I also wonder if they were required to sign a contract in advance, obligating them to do the show no matter how short the notice?

And I suspect that the designers also were contractually obligated to show up for the recap show. Kudos to Vanessa for walking out anyway, since she felt so strongly about it.

She may be a boozy idiot, but I luff her. Her clothes were gorgeous as well. Her "pregnancy" dress was exquisitely tailored, and her BR dress was chillingly beautiful. I still mourn the fact that she failed only because of her big mouth-- letting much less talented people (Robio, Alexandra, that HAG Pepper) pass!

One of the coolest outfits of the entire show is down below. Damn, people, now THAT is how you make a dress out of fishnet and garbage bags!

If, you know, you want a dress made out of fishnet and trashbags.

I kid, I kid. . .Vanessa did make some great looking things including that first dress. She might have made it to the end. But who's to say, really? I could see her floundering on the swim suit or post office challenges, for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Karennz
    Closetfan, I disagree with some of the comments you made.

The way Vanessa phrased it, the designers weren't told exactly what their design tasks would be during the show. Perhaps she would've said no, had she known beforehand.
    No, that's true. I'm sure they weren't told much in the way of what they would or would not be doing. But if you don't know, you ask, and if they still won't tell you, at least to your satisfaction, then maybe you ought to decline, or wait until after the first "cycle" to audition.

I also wonder if they were required to sign a contract in advance, obligating them to do the show no matter how short the notice?
    I find it very odd that they waited until the day before shooting to lock everyone in...the logistics would be a nightmare. I'm wondering if Vanessa wasn't perhaps a last minute replacement for someone who got ill, had a family crisis, couldn't get off work, or just got cold feet.

And I suspect that the designers also were contractually obligated to show up for the recap show. Kudos to Vanessa for walking out anyway, since she felt so strongly about it.
    Well, again, I'm not sure that they planned to have a recap episode before the show started airing and it was a hit, so I don't know what the arrangements are. If they contractually obligated the designers to participate in advance, why wouldn't they have also obliged the models to do so as well? Morgan was obviously in a position to decline to attend since they didn't meet her conditions (although it would have been naive to expect them not to simply diss her in her absence), so I'm suspecting it was an impromptu arrangement for this kind of episode. If I'm recalling correctly, one of the designers (Kevin, I think) didn't even attend the fashion week, so if he was able to skip that, why shouldn't Vanessa have been able to skip this episode? And if she was contractually bound, all she had to do was sit and say absolutely nothing, absolutely bloody nothing and if directly asked a question, make a noncommittal answer and give them as little footage as possible. Make yourself as boring as possible, and your TV coverage will be minimal. Drinking and mouthing off was not the best way to handle it.

Don't get me wrong, I like Vanessa! I'm not horrified by her interview and behavior on the recap show, even if it wasn't the most politically or socially savvy thing she could have done, what she said was pretty much identical to things people here have said or speculated about. Nothing shocking there, at least not to me. I'm sure a lot of the other designers were especially nice to Wendy because they felt sorry for her because she was so horrible, because she was getting bashed pretty hard by the judges, and they probably thought she would get eliminated right after Starr. Other people, including Vanessa, were very protective towards Starr for the same reasons, and obviously continue to be so to this day because she hasn't morphed into the Wicked Witch. The problem for Vanessa is that there is a fine line between honesty and bitter sarcasm, between calling someone else out for their nastiness and making them look better by comparison through your own attack, and if you're going to be the lone voice of dissent, you'd better be prepared for a negative reaction, and its even better to be sober.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234