+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Wendy Pepper

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    I think Wendy was kept for drama the week she was against Robert especially.
    Oh, definitely. I'm wondering why they have the disclaimer about producers having a say in eliminations blah blah blah... Is this a requirement - if not, what's the point? Because Wendy's continued presence is so unnatural, they don't even want to pretend it's a fair competition?

FORT Regular

Musings on Skunhead and Banan Republic

Not sure where to start, but several thoughts have been bugging me about the survuval of the Cockroach. For starters, I am one who thinks that the Skunkhead's protrayal on the show was generally accurate, as she simply gave way too much creepy material to the producers. Coupled with her own disturbing posts on her website where she tries to justify herself, it is clear that she has issues. Apart from her creepy personality, in my opinion, her design talents are limited and are at best amateruish. Before last week she was always at the bottom, except for one interesting challenge - the Banana Republic design challenge, which she won.

When I watched that episode, it seemed weird to me that BR, as a twist, committed to producing and promoting the winning design. It seemed to me to be a huge leap of faith on still unknown designers. As the show progressed and her general creepines began to be more apparent, I wondered how the folks at BR were reacting. It certainly is a public relations nightmare for them to be stuck with promoting a designer that is reviled and panned roundly for the rest of the show and at Fashion Week. Do they go ahead and promote the dress or try and get out of the commitment? Tim dropped tidbits along the way that Wendy's skills fit a need in the market, implication being that she designed for the low to middle end (BR?) I also wondered what input BR had with the producers about Skunkhead's portrayal on the show. At what point did everyone realize that she is a border line personality and certainly not someone anyone would be able to work with long term? Did BR beg to have her stay around for FW, just to try and save some face? Did the producers, after caving to BR to keep Skunkzilla, give Austin a chance to show at FW to make up for the ridiculous decision to keep Wendy?

On the Bravo site, Tim usually does a good job breaking down the episodes in his Tim's Takes colomn. But the last column just did not ring true in his defense of Wendy's selection as the winner, let alone the decision to keep her over Austin. It is almost as if he is trying to convince himself.

The whole epsiode just seemed phony and contrived. It should be interesting to see how the Skank handles the pressure from the rest of the designers next week.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion, Archery Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Wendy Poopers. That's my new nickname for her!

I am definitely NOT a fan of hers, but I must say.. it would be very difficult to work around others who are clearly, obviously and purposefully disliking me. So I can understand how she is taking glee in watching them squirm over eliminations.

I have never liked any of her designs, none of'm. The fact that she went this far is proof of a lot of luck. That, or producer manipulation.

With the previews, it shows everyone ripping "someone" a new arsehole. We can only assume that it's Wendy, since they hinted to it so damn strongly...but, does anyone else think that it's a compilation of a few different confrontations?
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    it would be very difficult to work around others who are clearly, obviously and purposefully disliking me. So I can understand how she is taking glee in watching them squirm over eliminations.
    Except, they weren't just disliking her on a collective whim. . .she obviously gave them plenty of material to work up that dislike. So for her to say she loved seeing them squirm just added to her ugliness. No pity for her from me.

Quote Originally Posted by hobokenreality
    Not sure where to start, but several thoughts have been bugging me about the survuval of the Cockroach. For starters, I am one who thinks that the Skunkhead's protrayal on the show was generally accurate, as she simply gave way too much creepy material to the producers. Coupled with her own disturbing posts on her website where she tries to justify herself, it is clear that she has issues. Apart from her creepy personality, in my opinion, her design talents are limited and are at best amateruish. Before last week she was always at the bottom, except for one interesting challenge - the Banana Republic design challenge, which she won.
    Wendy won the Banana Republic challenge on a fluke. Austin and Jay both created beautiful dresses, but ones that were too elaborate for manufacturing for mass merchandising. Kara produced a beautiful dress, but it had ruffles down it, something no average sized woman would want, since it would emphasis her lower half and make her look bigger. Vanessa's dress had way too low cut a bodice for general commercial appeal, Kevin's dress was cute but the slit up the front was too revealing for the same reason. Starr's and Robert's dresses were absolutely horrible, and certainly not in keeping with the BR color schemes they were given. That leaves Nora and Alessandra. Nora's dress with its pleating probably made it a little too detailed for the BR pricepoint, and possibly also would make the average woman look bigger, not a good selling point. Alessandra's was a little loose and baggy, which could be good or bad depending on the wearer, but given its construction was more elaborate, it probably came in second.

Wendy's dress was exceedingly basic and cost effective in its construction, she used her apparent talent for plagiarizing by copying existing elements from the BR collection in question, and since she has no imagination or creativity, she created a basic, functional boring little black dress. I looked at the BR spring fashion show on their website, and just about every dang thing they showed was pedestrian, average, interchangeable, and completely lacking in interest or originality. In other words, it was the perfect match for her, given her limited talents and imagination.

When I watched that episode, it seemed weird to me that BR, as a twist, committed to producing and promoting the winning design. It seemed to me to be a huge leap of faith on still unknown designers.
    Not really, they only made up a couple of hundred of the dresses, sold mostly online, and for the benefit of a worthy charity, always a selling point. That's not exactly a major investment on their part, either its a charitable contribution, or its a tax write off, or both. If the folks at Banana Republic had thought the dress had any real substantial commercial appeal, I'm sure they would have found a way to produce it in other colors for sale.

As the show progressed and her general creepines began to be more apparent, I wondered how the folks at BR were reacting. It certainly is a public relations nightmare for them to be stuck with promoting a designer that is reviled and panned roundly for the rest of the show and at Fashion Week. Do they go ahead and promote the dress or try and get out of the commitment? Tim dropped tidbits along the way that Wendy's skills fit a need in the market, implication being that she designed for the low to middle end (BR?) I also wondered what input BR had with the producers about Skunkhead's portrayal on the show. At what point did everyone realize that she is a border line personality and certainly not someone anyone would be able to work with long term? Did BR beg to have her stay around for FW, just to try and save some face? Did the producers, after caving to BR to keep Skunkzilla, give Austin a chance to show at FW to make up for the ridiculous decision to keep Wendy?
    Well, no offence, but there are a couple of gaping holes in the potential conspiracy. One, BR only produced a couple of hundred of the dresses, and sold out of them quite early in the series, and they were sold for the benefit of a charity. They had no financial interest in promoting the dress, the designer, and certainly no long term interest of doing so. Two, I'm not the only one who has pointed out the design/construction problems with Wendy's creations, someone else specifically pointed out problems they noted with Wendy's BR dress, so I'm sure after their designers had to re-do her design to a certain extent to make it right, they were none too impressed with her skills in that respect. But most importantly, if BR had that much pull with the producers and judges, there are two possible ways of exerting it that would have made more sense: (1) arrange for Wendy to disappear much sooner, if she'd been cut when she should have been, we'd all have pretty much forgotten about her like we have about Starr; or (2) arrange for very selective editing so that she was portrayed as the plucky, competitive underdog who manages to outlast all the other designers with more experience and training. Instead, they've shown her in all, or nearly all, of her ugly, envious, malicious and paranoid glory, shown just about everyone except the eternally clueless Robert loathing and despising her, and in addition plan to spend a good portion of the recap episode showing the other designers calling her on the carpet for her duplicitous and evil behavior.

On the Bravo site, Tim usually does a good job breaking down the episodes in his Tim's Takes colomn. But the last column just did not ring true in his defense of Wendy's selection as the winner, let alone the decision to keep her over Austin. It is almost as if he is trying to convince himself.
    He probably is trying to convince himself. After all, he himself thought Wendy's dress was cute. Also, let's be realistic, its undoubtedly part of his job to confirm the judges' decisions, not to disagree with them. Its one thing to show a certain amount of disagreement amongst the judges, but the underlings are not supposed to have independent opinions beyond a certain point. It would be like Jay Manuel posting on the ANTM website that Yaya should have been eliminated for disrespecting the umeboshi and Nicole should have stayed. He would have been right, but it wouldn't have been following protocol.

The whole epsiode just seemed phony and contrived. It should be interesting to see how the Skank handles the pressure from the rest of the designers next week.
    I imagine it'll go in one ear and out the other. People like that never seen their own responsibility for the reactions of others to them. Its always somebody else's fault, their problem, and there's always a rationalization and excuse and justification for one's own behavior and attitudes. She'll try to portray herself as the hapless victim of all this undeserved collective antipathy, and then viciously attack them all and justify herself on her website.

$800+For THAT?!?

Someone please take me to get my eyes checked, but did I see that awful
    wedding 'dress' get auctioned off for over 800 bones?
    Man, oh MAN people have strange taste!

edited 'cuz I gave the gal 100 more bucks by mistake...but STILL!
    "Blame me if you must, but don't EVER speak ill of the program!"
    - Homer Simpson

No surprise HERE

The evil skunk didn't post in her "diary" about episode 8 until AFTER episode 9 aired and she posted allllllllll about her triumph on that recap.
    I agree with Jay... I realllllllllllllllllllllllllly yyyyyyy hate her
    :phhht
    TRUTH, BOREDOM, HUMOR
    "It is always the best policy to speak the truth, unless, of course, you are an exceptionally good liar."
    -Jerome K. Jerome

Quote Originally Posted by Closet Fan
    (Tim) probably is trying to convince himself. After all, he himself thought Wendy's dress was cute. Also, let's be realistic, its undoubtedly part of his job to confirm the judges' decisions, not to disagree with them. Its one thing to show a certain amount of disagreement amongst the judges, but the underlings are not supposed to have independent opinions beyond a certain point.
    Actually, Tim is one of the major forces on this show in his role on camera and behind the scenes as the Parson's liaison. He has gone against the judges in his Web talks a few times. He's pretty opinionated and not shy about it. I agree with him, Wendy's Grammy dress is cute (which is higher praise than the judges gave). Sure, Wendy has a really unpleasant personality, which has made for great TV--but it's not a great foundation for her future career.

I imagine it'll go in one ear and out the other. People like that never seen their own responsibility for the reactions of others to them. Its always somebody else's fault, their problem, and there's always a rationalization and excuse and justification for one's own behavior and attitudes. She'll try to portray herself as the hapless victim of all this undeserved collective antipathy, and then viciously attack them all and justify herself on her website.
    I agree with you, she'll probably react that way. But she's not as significant as Hitler was. This is just an entertaining TV show and her silly, unpleasant antics aren't worth a lot of fury. She is kinda stupid--she's appearing in a talent contest but is acting like she thinks she's on "The Apprentice" or "Survivor." I think, inadvertently, she has survived to the final 3 because of her personality--shooing out equally mediocre contestants by creating TV drama. I do not believe that the judges or Tim wanted Austen in the final 3, period, because he almost never tried to follow the given concepts.
    Last edited by pillbeam; 02-14-2005 at 02:29 PM.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion, Archery Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Why do we have to "chill out"?
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Uh...

Pillbeam - I was with you until you said 'not as significant as Hitler was...can we chill out...?'

She's on the show because she sucks. There's always a bad apple in the bunch to keep it 'interesting'. We're on this forum because it's fun to yak about how much she sucks, and how much the others don't. Obviously she's just giving her feet a new home everytime she posts on her site, and everytime she's made a smart ass comment on the show. She'll be the cause of her own demise in this industry - while it doesn't affect our daily lives, and she's not out to take over the world, it's still fun to talk about.

So, if you'd kindly chill out and get your snark on, too...
    "Blame me if you must, but don't EVER speak ill of the program!"
    - Homer Simpson

+ Reply to Thread