+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: 4/18 Project Runway 11 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 4/18 Project Runway 11 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I too was surprised at what Daniel chose to show the judges. I was happily surprised with his collection when Tim had his visit. I thought all the clothes (except the blue piece) were cohesive, well-made, and young, but professional looking. The judges would've loved his leather jacket with the collar he molded in the sun. Every season we get at least one designer that tells the judges "Oh, you WILL be wowed at Lincoln Center if you pick me- I have lots of other stuff to show that is Ah-Mazing!". And every year the judges tell them that they need to bring their A-game to this 'mini-runway' to prove it. Why hold back your best pieces if there is a chance you will get the boot because you brought your B-game in hopes you could coast by?

Stanley- I've never really been a fan, I find him really boring and last night so were his designs.

Patricia- Darn it! I actually liked a few of her looks and I really haven't liked anything she's done the whole season. I find it interesting that she chose NOT to make her own textiles for the runway since she's been doing that all season and it's her 'thing'. She said they would be hard to reproduce so she chose not to. Seems odd to me.

Michelle- Her work is impeccably done and looks like it takes a lot of time to make each design. I hate that chartreuse/brown color that seems to be the common thread in her looks this time around.

I felt sorry for Daniel. Why didn't he show those beautiful leather jackets he showed Tim on the home visit?
    I thought the judges were a little too harsh on Stanley. I thought his designs were classy, hope he steps it up for the finale.
    I loved the coat Michelle made but the judges were right, she needs to delete some of the accessories.
    Patricia has not been my favorite all season. I liked her blue dress but not the smurf wig. I am not a fan of any kind of hair on clothes either.
    I think it will be Patricia for the win.

Quote Originally Posted by kireelady View Post
    I still don't get Patricia. Ugh! And I wish they would've just crowned Michelle as the winner. I hated her mini collection. It's so obvious they want her to win.
    I am glad I am not the only one who doesn't get Patricia. No way on earth would I ever wear anything she has made let alone wear horse butt! I agree with Nina, it looked like hair swatches. I don't know why Daniel didn't show one of those other jackets he created and some pop of color. While I would wear everything Stanley showed it would have had to be shortened BIG TIME!
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

This will come down to Patricia and Michelle.

I haven't liked anything Patricia has produced all season and don't want her to win (although I think she's the chosen one). However, I did like her light blue dress. Not sure how it looks in person, close up, BUT it looked very nice on the runway.l

Go Michelle!!!

I didn't like Stanley's or Daniel's choices at the end for the judges. I expected to see better designs from both. Patricia's I don't like, with the possible exception of some of what she showed the judges. Those were not as crazy or messy as most of her stuff usually is. She annoys me with her crying on every episode. She's so whiny! I can actually see her winning this, and that would be a joke, as well as embarrassing for my state (she's from my state). Being different just for the sake of being different isn't good enough. I applaud Nina in this case for being the one judge who questions her taste and whether the final showing will be a circus. Her designs are just weird and messy for the most part.

None of these designers have made me fall in love with their creations or their personalities, but I have to admit to liking Michelle's clothing better than the others. I might even wear some of hers. Not all of them but some of them, lol. I liked the green dress she wore during Tim's visit. Wonder if she made it?

I really hope Patricia doesn't win this. I might have to stop watching the show. I mean, it would just seem wrong on the "teams" season to award the prize to not only NOT a team, but somebody who did not do well at all within that framework. I find it ridiculous that Patricia wound up in the final at all.

Quote Originally Posted by lilymax View Post
    I really hope Patricia doesn't win this. I might have to stop watching the show. I mean, it would just seem wrong on the "teams" season to award the prize to not only NOT a team, but somebody who did not do well at all within that framework. I find it ridiculous that Patricia wound up in the final at all.
    I felt that way with Anthony Ryan, especially since he basically wrapped a girl in a few yards of fabric, added a belt and a very unflattering yolk neckline, and yet was declared the "safe" one over Emilio who had a boring but at least better made dress. In her defense - her items may be weird or even ugly - but at least she has constructed items and not basically resorted to AR's design ideas.

Given what I've seen of Patricia's final runway... I would dare say if they hadn't done the teams challenge we may be giving a little fairer assessment on her work. It is definitely a LOT better when she works on her own than with teams that sap strength. I say this for the other finalists too - because even Daniel's boring looks were better made than a lot of his items this season.

I just think it's fairer to judge on the final runway this season and not the overall stuff - but even if we did all three of the finalists were in the bottom at least once (Michelle's case was technically eliminated but had IMHO producer intervention to let her continue)...

... And most importantly ALL THREE at times didn't work well with others and their work suffered because of it.

I don't know who will win, but honestly all three will be more deserving than AR last season or Gretchen a few years back. ALL three here have done better work than either of them IMHO.
    GabbyG and Babbred like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    I felt that way with Anthony Ryan, especially since he basically wrapped a girl in a few yards of fabric, added a belt and a very unflattering yolk neckline, and yet was declared the "safe" one over Emilio who had a boring but at least better made dress. In her defense - her items may be weird or even ugly - but at least she has constructed items and not basically resorted to AR's design ideas.

Given what I've seen of Patricia's final runway... I would dare say if they hadn't done the teams challenge we may be giving a little fairer assessment on her work. It is definitely a LOT better when she works on her own than with teams that sap strength. I say this for the other finalists too - because even Daniel's boring looks were better made than a lot of his items this season.

I just think it's fairer to judge on the final runway this season and not the overall stuff - but even if we did all three of the finalists were in the bottom at least once (Michelle's case was technically eliminated but had IMHO producer intervention to let her continue)...

... And most importantly ALL THREE at times didn't work well with others and their work suffered because of it.

I don't know who will win, but honestly all three will be more deserving than AR last season or Gretchen a few years back. ALL three here have done better work than either of them IMHO.

You could be right. I didn't see those seasons. I have only seen the seasons that are repeated as marathons on Style and then this one. I wish they would repeat some of those other seasons as marathons, I would love to see them.

I frankly have a bit of trouble imagining that anybody could have made it far on the show with designs that are worse than Patricia's. I would agree that the other two deserve to be in the finals, though. And the team concept should be abolished...forever!
    Last edited by lilymax; 04-19-2013 at 05:04 PM.

I know I'm strange, but of the four collections shown last night, my two favorites were Patricia and Stanley, though I hated that both he and Daniel did all black. I've never like Michelle's designs, but I did like that sweater. Daniels was also all black and dull. I've seen him do so much better. I liked the Stanley's longer lengths, too. I was around for the beginning of the miniskirt and I've never liked it even though in my younger days I had the body to wear it. I've always preferred just below the need for daytime and cocktail or floor length for evening wear.

I also wonder when fashion became something just for the young. Nina is no spring chick and Heidi is also getting older yet all I hear from them is "it's not young enough." Many of my favorite actresses are 50 or older and are still fashion icons. As I mentioned in the beginning, I am strange.
    Dragonlady likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I know I'm strange, but of the four collections shown last night, my two favorites were Patricia and Stanley, though I hated that both he and Daniel did all black. I've never like Michelle's designs, but I did like that sweater. Daniels was also all black and dull. I've seen him do so much better. I liked the Stanley's longer lengths, too. I was around for the beginning of the miniskirt and I've never liked it even though in my younger days I had the body to wear it. I've always preferred just below the need for daytime and cocktail or floor length for evening wear.

I also wonder when fashion became something just for the young. Nina is no spring chick and Heidi is also getting older yet all I hear from them is "it's not young enough." Many of my favorite actresses are 50 or older and are still fashion icons. As I mentioned in the beginning, I am strange.
    I think when the judges say the look is not youthful enough they mean more that the look of the outfit is something they have seen before. I think any new trend can be translated for all sizes and ages if the designer knows what they are doing.

PS: I hate when I go to Lane Bryant or Dress Barn and see the plus sizes because Dress Barn acts as if plus size means you want to wear your grandmother's clothes and Lane Bryant translates youthful to meaning you want to dress in a style of a preteen with lots of ruffles on the chest and puffy cap sleeves. I think Chico's does a good job with youthful styles and colors for all ages and shapes. Oh, don't get me started on Target's young kids styles some of the outfits for the 7 - 11 scream young hooker. Walmart is even worst as far as selling slutty styles for young girls.
    Dicechick likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post

I don't think you're weird at all! I'm of a mature age, shall we say, and I too get tired of hearing how the designs need to be young. I see many women my age and older who dress nicely, and wear things that are stylish. It's not like everybody over say, 45, suddenly requires only sweats and sneakers in their wardrobes! Personally, I dress very casually because I am not out in public very much and let's face it, I'm not going to dress up to impress myself and my dog. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate fashionable clothing on other ladies whose lives are different from mine. In my 30's, the job I had dictated that I be something of a fashion plate, lol....so I rolled like that back then. I preferred my dresses a bit shorter than what Stanley usually does, because I have nice legs and I'm short. It makes me look taller. I can appreciate a mini skirt on some women, but let's face it, not everybody should wear them. Just above the knee is a good length for most; below it can be problematic for some.

I think I mentioned this in another thread, but I loved the last few dresses in Stanley's collection.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast