+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: 4/11 Project Runway 11 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 4/11 Project Runway 11 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Surprising how Michelle didn't mind "Hugs" on this episode. Before she always claimed she won't hug because she needs her personal space.
    Michelle is so full of it you can smell her before you see her coming.

She DOESN'T mind hugs when she's NOT pissed off.

When she IS . . .

Well, a taped show doesn't lie, now DOES it?
    Florimel and Babbred like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Patricia won the whole thing, either. Horrified, yes, surprised....no. Heidi is behind her and after all, she got her into the finals with Patricia having not done well throughout the competition. I don't think she's a good designer either. I've already said that I think.

Nina has always had such a superior attitude, I found Michael less offensive than her when he was a judge. I like Zac, but I liked Michael too. Zac is much more humble than any of the others. They left humble behind years ago, lol.

My overall impressions of those final collections is that I see a bunch of stuff that looks really messy and weird, punctuated here and there by something stunning. The stunning somethings are few and far between, imho.

Kind of disappointing.
    Go Lisa!

Quote Originally Posted by lilymax View Post
    Nina has always had such a superior attitude, I found Michael less offensive than her when he was a judge. I like Zac, but I liked Michael too. Zac is much more humble than any of the others. They left humble behind years ago, lol.
    That's it!

I believe you've exactly hit on what Nina's deal is. Over the time I've watched the show --- and Nina ON it --- I've got to agree with you that she's come across to me as "Superior Sally" most of the time she's onscreen critiquing.

I like Michael, and always have. I miss him, but have learned to like and appreciate Zac, as well. So while I hope TPTB never, EVER do another "Teams" season (in a misguided attempt to keep the show fresh), I like Zac and am glad he's there. He's sweet, humble, smart, and doesn't back down on what his feelings are about a designer or their creation just to "play nice" with the others. Plus, he knows how to do that as the new kid on the block, in a respectful way.

Humble? The others?

Heidi has no problem speaking her mind, but I think that's just her shoot-from-the-hip, take-no-prisoners way. I believe that way was ingrained in her years ago --- probably before she even started modeling --- and I don't believe ego and/or arrogance has anything to do with it, in her case. I actually believe that there might still be humility in there somewhere, in her make-up.

Nina?

Humble?

Yep, I think Elvis might've left the building on THAT with her a long, LONG time ago!

JMHO.
    Duckyface and AZChristian like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by lilymax View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised at all if Patricia won the whole thing, either. Horrified, yes, surprised....no. Heidi is behind her and after all, she got her into the finals with Patricia having not done well throughout the competition. I don't think she's a good designer either. I've already said that I think.

My overall impressions of those final collections is that I see a bunch of stuff that looks really messy and weird, punctuated here and there by something stunning. The stunning somethings are few and far between, imho.

Kind of disappointing.
    Go Lisa!
    What aggravates me about Patricia is that if you live anywhere where you have the opportunity to see a lot of Native American artists/designers, you realize that her stuff isn't all that fabulous. But the judges drool over it like they've never seen anything outside of a 1950s western's costume shop. It's not that she's so good. It's that the judges are so ill-informed.

I'm not really anticipating a terrific finale either. It's also kind of stupid that it was a team challenge season, but when it comes right down to it, there's not going to be a "team" win, so what was the point?

I've only kind of half-watched PR this season and last season. I miss the Bravo seasons. It hasn't been the same since it moved to Lifetime, and I think part of the problem is the casting. The designers either seem to be there to be characters or to produce reasonable designs, but nobody seems to be a designer who just happens to have a genuinely interesting personality too.
    GabbyG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    What aggravates me about Patricia is that if you live anywhere where you have the opportunity to see a lot of Native American artists/designers, you realize that her stuff isn't all that fabulous. But the judges drool over it like they've never seen anything outside of a 1950s western's costume shop. It's not that she's so good. It's that the judges are so ill-informed.

I'm not really anticipating a terrific finale either. It's also kind of stupid that it was a team challenge season, but when it comes right down to it, there's not going to be a "team" win, so what was the point?

I've only kind of half-watched PR this season and last season. I miss the Bravo seasons. It hasn't been the same since it moved to Lifetime, and I think part of the problem is the casting. The designers either seem to be there to be characters or to produce reasonable designs, but nobody seems to be a designer who just happens to have a genuinely interesting personality too.
    Great post! ITA on all the points you made. I live in an area where you see Native American arts all over the place, all the time, and the judges lack of exposure to it had not occurred to me. I have to agree too Patricia's stuff isn't all that great, or even interesting, by comparison.

It's so sad that the show hasn't got anybody you can really get behind and root for. That definitely is a casting issue. This is one of my favorite shows, so I hope they do better next time.
    Last edited by lilymax; 04-15-2013 at 12:57 PM.

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    Has there been a less-talented final five (or four) than this group?
    I was just thinking that... this year's designers are very uninspiring to me.
    Some of the ugliest clothes ever.
    Where is the Seth Aaron or the Mondo/Uli/Emilo????
    All of the other seasons seemed to have people with more creativity in their pinky than these people.
    This season's highlight for me has been Michelle's imitiations of Nina!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I really don't mind Nina. I appreciate her honesty when some of the other judges are valiantly searching for something positive to say to avoid hurt feelings when a designer presents something truly ghastly. I think more buyers in the fashion industry will be like Nina so the designers need to develop a spine and not be coddled into thinking everything they create is wonderful.

Heidi represents the artistic side of fashion, where the designers are creating outfits to express themselves and show their point of view. Nina represents the business side of fashion, where clients are looking for fashions that will represent them and their point of view. A designer can be incredibly original and have a unique point of view but if that look doesn't resonate with buyers, if no one understands it and wants to spend money to wear it themselves, it's a failure from a business point of view.

It's great that this show keeps the designers mindful of both halves of the equation. They can't get so stuck on their own ideas that they create unsellable fashions or they'll have to find another way to make money while doing fashion on the side. If they want to make fashion their profession, they should listen to what Nina tells them and use that information to make themselves more marketable.
    Face Off 6 Pool: Registration closed
    Amazing Race 24 Pool: Registration closed
    Survivor Cagayan 6 Pool: Registration closed
    Dancing With the Stars 18 Pool: Registration closed
    Click here for general pool information and lists of previous pool winners!

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion

Quote Originally Posted by jmb View Post
    This season's highlight for me has been Michelle's imitiations of Nina!
    Yes!!!

I'm tempted to go back & re-watch the first episode where they were choosing the contestants. Most of the designers seemed to have interesting clothes. I wonder if all the teamwork sucked the life and creativity out of them.

That's a good point, Kip. In that audition episode I could swear the designers were better than they have been on the show. I remember thinking when they announced the team thing, "Oh, crud. I wonder if that's going to suck the creativity out of these designers?" Yep, it did.

The judges should win Emmy's for their acting in this last episode. That crud that Michelle sent down was wonderful? Seriously? Somebody called her skirt an Army skirt. My dad was in the Army, and yep, that just about nails it. Maybe that cashmere looked expensive in person, because on the TV it just looked like dull gray flannel. And that bib. A bib? Really? That thing reminded me of those changing mats you put down for a baby. In fact, I believe somebody alluded to bodily functions in describing it here. Yep, again, that's what I thought.

I was most ticked off at Stanley, though. I used to live in England and...monastic? Really? Seriously? Stanley, England hasn't looked monastic in 500 years!
    Oh my gosh. I just croaked when he sent that hideous outfit down the runway. He was right about monastic. The last time I saw an outfit like his, it was worn by a bunch of nuns in an ecumenical Good Friday procession that I participated in. As Charlie Brown would say, "Good grief."

A word about Patricia. I haven't liked all of her outfits, either. However, I wish her well because, as an artist myself, I appreciate how she's different. "Hip...edgy....young/youthful....modern....sexy.... fashion forward" Yawn, yawn. Every week the designers try to do the same thing and hear the same buzzwords from the judges. I like how Patricia marches to the beat of her own drum. If people don't want to buy her stuff, then that's fine. But I would.
    ness likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

They all basically looked like costumes, esp Michele and Stanley. I'm not sure what Patricia's was.
    I hate Project Runway because I once loved, loved, loved Project Runway. This isn't it.
    Babbred likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast