+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 3/7 Project Runway 11 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 3/7 Project Runway 11 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    Well, well, well. This is interesting. #1: I happen to teach in a high school. I also went as a chaperone to our prom one year. They looked like prom dresses, all formal and elegant, not something avant garde like the winning dress.

#2: Holy crud, why on earth did the high schoolers vote Patricia's dress the winner? Edited to add: I just went and looked at the photos. From the back it looks really cool so I can maybe see why the kids voted for it. However, that silver lame front still ruins it for me. #2: Talk about something Marilyn Monroe would wear!

#3: Stanley and Layana had my favorite dress of the night. I love that retro-feminine look. :biglov

Just a note about the judges: Normally I love Heidi and Nina, but as people have pointed out, she specifically said only 1 designer would be eliminated. #4: That was just cruel to tell Kate out of the blue that she was going, too.

Babbred, I'm with you on almost all your points!

#1: I do, too. The red and black winning dress would be cool for Homecoming, but NOT Prom. In fact, I daresay the losing dress would have been the #1 dress with girls in my school, which is, evidently, yet another high school in the hicks -- this one, here in Chicagoland. (Ummmm, yeah. I don't think so.)

#2: Not sure why the kids voted on it. Maybe it was prettier in person and just didn't photograph well...?
    #2: (Here is where we differ.) There is NO WAY Marilyn would have ever worn Patricia & Samantha's dress!

#3: That was my favorite, too. I would have liked either Layana or Stanley winning again!

#4: I know, right? Makes for good TV, I guess, but not cool.
    Last edited by cubsfan55; 03-08-2013 at 09:44 PM.
    Duckyface and Babbred like this.
    Impossible things are being done every day.

Quote Originally Posted by cubsfan55 View Post
    Babbred, I'm with you on almost all your points!

#1: I do, too. The red and black winning dress would be cool for Homecoming, but NOT Prom. In fact, I daresay the losing dress would have been the #1 dress with girls in my school, which is, evidently, yet another high school in the hicks -- this one, here in Chicagoland. (Ummmm, yeah. I don't think so.)

I know. That's what I kept thinking. Cut the train out, and that's pretty much half the dresses worn at our prom. So much for Heidi and Nina being "plugged in".

#2: (Here is where we differ.) There is NO WAY Marilyn would have ever worn Patricia & Samantha's dress!

Whoops. Should have clarified. I didn't mean their entire dress. I just meant that silvery part on top. I could see MM wearing a dress of silvery material and styled and Kate and Tu's.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Speaking strictly for myself, the order would've been:

1. Patricia/Samantha.
    2. Layana/Stanley.
    3. Amanda/Michelle.
    4. Daniel/Richard (TIE).
    4. Kate/Tu (TIE).

Absolutely LOVED Patricia's work on that skirt. LOVED it. Yep, there was a definite praying mantis vibe about it, and lunatic that I am, I liked that, too! AND the colors! I also liked the top Samantha constructed for it, and how she joined the two halves together.

Layana and Stanley's was adorable. In particular, I loved the skirt and the pink belt with the bow on theirs.

I do like red and black together, and I loved how Amanda and Michelle's dress was shaped. But that houndstooth pattern? No. Not in THIS lifetime, or any other. I just was NOT feelin' that dress for the win.

I don't specifically recall, right now, who it was that said that Daniel and Richard's dress looked like a baked potato (Daniel, maybe?), but I absolutely agree. Frankly, even though I did like the latticework on the sides, it WAS on the sides of the dress. And as for the gold? I kept wanting to ask somebody to pass me the butter, cheese and sour cream every time I looked at it.

Kate & Tu's? No. Just. NO. That dress looked WAY too slinky and mature to be at ANYBODY'S prom. Hell, all we were wearing back in the Dark Ages of my high school prom days WERE long dresses! But NONE of us would've EVER have worn THAT. Plus, it was just so DARK. They could've done better with the color, even if the style of the dress fell as flat as it did.

Like everybody else, didn't see the double elim coming. MHO is that since Kate voluntarily took most of the heat for that dress, she should've been the one that took the ultimate fall for it. Tu? Well, it's pretty clear to me that HE didn't do himself any favors, either. And I can actually see what the judges' reasoning was for booting him, too. I think they took the reasoning that you might've been the one driving the getaway car in the bank robbery, and that was ALL you did. BUT you were there serving as back-up and escape hatch for the ones who actually went in waving guns around and shooting, etc. So your ass is JUST as guilty as theirs is. Me? I would've ripped Tu up one end and down the other about playing Assistant Stooge for Kate and not opening his mouth. Since they just HAD to shove this crazy "team" concept down our throats this season (and may they never, EVER pull this stunt again!), that is. And Tu would've had just ONE MORE CHANCE. The NEXT time he chose to play Assistant Stooge on a project and not open his mouth about anything, he would've been GONE. And I'd've made damn SURE that he understood that before he left the runway THIS time.

BTW, this thought just crossed my mind . . .

I REALLY didn't care for Kate's comment in a PI that there was only ONE person running this, and SHE was that person. Please. It was true, but also showed what a bossy person she ended up being with Tu, because she knew she could issue orders to him about what to do, and he'd do it. And yep, after the runway show, Tu, pretty much admitted that he just sat back, shut up, and did whatever Kate told him to do. Sure, he tried to rationalize what he said by saying he wasn't familiar with proms and Kate knew more, etc., etc., but as we all saw, that wound up not working for him. And the judges seemed to suss out that that's what happened, and THAT'S why they BOTH got canned. Again, didn't see that coming, but it also seems to me that Kate and Tu each dug their own graves and opened the door for the judges to run through.

Michelle? Yep, she ABSOLUTELY has my heartfelt "Congratulations!" on her win. And nope, I ABSOLUTELY still do not like her and think of her as the bitch that one of the other designers referred to her as.

Much as I miss Michael, I LOVED it when Zac stood his ground with Nina about dress length and let her know that girls today DO still wear long dresses to proms, because he happens to design some of them for girls every week! Funny, but I don't seem to recall Nina having anything to say after Zac said THAT to her!

WTG, ZAC!!!

And I had to laugh when Richard got his rear end on his shoulder when Stanley didn't pick him to work with. That was SO juvenile. Then, in retaliation, I think, turned all Diva and took ALL the gold duct tape. Which he was NEVER going to use every bit of, anyway.

THEN, his dress tanked!

I was ROTFLMFAO!

Karma is SURELY a bitch!

And I also liked how Stanley had his act together and told Layana to stop whining about the gold tape and keep it movin'. She was just as juvenile about that as Richard was about not working with Stanley, IMHO.

And I love Tim, but my mouth dropped open when he said he liked the baked potato in the workroom, then it hit the runway and took a golden dive.

At least, I THOUGHT he said he liked it!

Guess no matter how knowledgeable you may actually be about something, it IS possible to be wrong about what others may think. Much as I love Tim, I've gotta say I agreed with the judges because I NEVER liked the baked potato (even when it was being constructed in the workroom; too much gold and nothing else, dated, etc.), and was thinking --- after Stanley said it, in particular --- that Daniel and Richard just MIGHT be in trouble because they didn't add anything to contrast with all that gold tape, even though the dress itself was short.

Now, 'scuse me, 'cause I'ma go get ready for The Thunder From Down Under!
    Photobabe likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Whoops. Should have clarified. I didn't mean their entire dress. I just meant that silvery part on top. I could see MM wearing a dress of silvery material and styled and Kate and Tu's.
    OK. But I suspect she would've filled it out just a wee bit more.
    Impossible things are being done every day.

I know. That's what I kept thinking. Cut the train out, and that's pretty much half the dresses worn at our prom. So much for Heidi and Nina being "plugged in".
    Mine too, but I graduated in 1986. I thought it was horribly dated. It also looked like it weighed a ton. Daniel and Richard's look was dated too. It was awful. All it needed was 4" lucite heels and you could have put it on a hooker.

I have friends with teenage daughters and very few of them wear longer dresses for prom. It's all about shorter skirts. The top two dresses (and Stanley and Layana's as well) would be very popular among those girls.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post

Like everybody else, didn't see the double elim coming. MHO is that since Kate voluntarily took most of the heat for that dress, she should've been the one that took the ultimate fall for it. Tu? Well, it's pretty clear to me that HE didn't do himself any favors, either. And I can actually see what the judges' reasoning was for booting him, too. I think they took the reasoning that you might've been the one driving the getaway car in the bank robbery, and that was ALL you did. BUT you were there serving as back-up and escape hatch for the ones who actually went in waving guns around and shooting, etc. So your ass is JUST as guilty as theirs is. Me? I would've ripped Tu up one end and down the other about playing Assistant Stooge for Kate and not opening his mouth. Since they just HAD to shove this crazy "team" concept down our throats this season (and may they never, EVER pull this stunt again!), that is. And Tu would've had just ONE MORE CHANCE. The NEXT time he chose to play Assistant Stooge on a project and not open his mouth about anything, he would've been GONE. And I'd've made damn SURE that he understood that before he left the runway THIS time.

You remember after Kate initially chose Tu again, another designer said, "I wonder if she did that because she knows that if they're in the bottom Tu will be the one to go home." I wondered that, too, when they landed in the bottom. As nice as she appeared, was she secretly hoping the judges would think, "Well, she is the better designer, and at least she took credit for her work. [One of the judges actually did say the latter.]" Was Kate, IOW, hoping to throw Tu under the bus, indirectly at least? If so, then she took a terrible gamble and lost.

And why take that gamble at all? I mean, I can understand being friendly with your fellow designers. That's better than being bitchy and catty. (BTW, I was the one who said that about Michelle, and I stand by it.) However, this is a competition. You should be here to win. Stanley had no such compunction about ditching his partner and he ended up in the top. Richard should have put on his big boy panties and gotten over it. Then maybe he and Daniel wouldn't have bombed. And yeah, kudos to Stanley for refusing to let his partner whine and instead moving forward. I love Stanley!

I also would have given Tu another chance, but ce la vie. You allow yourself to be steamrolled, you pay the consequence.

Much as I miss Michael, I LOVED it when Zac stood his ground with Nina about dress length and let her know that girls today DO still wear long dresses to proms, because he happens to design some of them for girls every week! Funny, but I don't seem to recall Nina having anything to say after Zac said THAT to her!

WTG, ZAC!!!

I really appreciated that, too.

And I had to laugh when Richard got his rear end on his shoulder when Stanley didn't pick him to work with. That was SO juvenile. Then, in retaliation, I think, turned all Diva and took ALL the gold duct tape. Which he was NEVER going to use every bit of, anyway.

THEN, his dress tanked!

I was ROTFLMFAO!

Karma is SURELY a bitch!

And I also liked how Stanley had his act together and told Layana to stop whining about the gold tape and keep it movin'. She was just as juvenile about that as Richard was about not working with Stanley, IMHO.

See above.

Now, 'scuse me, 'cause I'ma go get ready for The Thunder From Down Under!

I am so looking forward to next week!
    ness likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

For the heck of it I just went and looked at prom dresses and trends at a teen magazine site. I looked at only one color, (red) and about 10 of 40 were long, but mostly simple column dresses. Almost half of the 30 short looked plain and almost like food server uniforms, the rest varied and some were full and some were more fitted and lengths varied.

I really thought the denim dress was going to be safe and that the gold or Patricia's might lose.

I guess I still think of the prom being a chance to go "formal" and "grown-up".

I guess the shorter dresses are easier to be in if the bathroom is required.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    For the heck of it I just went and looked at prom dresses and trends at a teen magazine site. I looked at only one color, (red) and about 10 of 40 were long, but mostly simple column dresses. Almost half of the 30 short looked plain and almost like food server uniforms, the rest varied and some were full and some were more fitted and lengths varied.

I really thought the denim dress was going to be safe and that the gold or Patricia's might lose.

I guess I still think of the prom being a chance to go "formal" and "grown-up".

I guess the shorter dresses are easier to be in if the bathroom is required.
    To me, that denim dress was SO, ADULT, though. SO vampish. SO slinky. And yep, dated-looking, too. It seemed and felt like something Marilyn Monroe would've slithered into a Hollywood party wearing. I mean, back in my day, all we wore to prom WERE long dresses. But none of the dresses we wore --- not a ONE! --- EVER had that "Whoah! Va-VA-VOOOOOM!" vibe.

And don't feel rained on, echo, because I, too, still think of the prom as being a chance for kids to go "formal" and be "grown-up". The only thing I know about prom trends nowadays is that these days, it IS OK for girls to wear short (NOT tea length, SHORT!) prom dresses, if that's what they want to do and their parents OK it.

And wearing a short dress to the prom never WOULD'VE happened when I came along!

And, oh yeah, the shorter dresses WOULD be easier to manipulate if/when you had to do what you had to do.

But then again, I don't recall ANYBODY at any prom I went to (or heard about) EVER having a problem getting their business handled when they needed to, either!

So, THERE YA GO!!

"In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Not only did Nina and Heidi think they were experts about Prom dresses, they were the only two who didn't go to a Prom.
    Maybe Nina seems like she feels she has to be extra nasty since Michael isn't there with his sarcasm.

3/7 Project Runway 11 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Kocky_Kamikaze View Post
    Hmmmm... what did I learn from this episode? If Tim gushes over a piece or points out a feature he likes or dislikes, the judges will do the opposite..
    I agree and I think it sucks. Many designers respect and accept Tim's opinion and usually move in the direction he suggests. Then they get in front of the judges and they get ripped apart.
    Duckyface likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123