+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: 8/16 Discussion Thread **West Coast Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 8/16 Discussion Thread **West Coast Spoilers**

I did like the idea that they had the two teams "tie"...whether or not that actually happened is less important than having all of them open to winning and being sent home . Too often a poor designer has been safe because he/she is on the winning team.

I am glad they finally sent R. packing hopefully for the last time. He was so obnoxious. His design philosophy was bad and yet he talked about it almost as much as Buffy did and we know bad hers was. I was pleased Nina mentenioned that her "tulip" was apparently there to cover up her lack of skill.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Here are the pictures from this week's episode:

Face Off 6 Pool: Registration closed
    Amazing Race 24 Pool: Registration closed
    Survivor Cagayan 6 Pool: Registration closed
    Dancing With the Stars 18 Pool: Registration closed
    Click here for general pool information and lists of previous pool winners!

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

I drv'd the show last night and watched with my daughter while eating breakfast. I almost chocked on my waffle when Dmitry came up with his 'one way monkey' comment! His dress looked fine to me and I would wear that to work long before I wore Melissa's. Some jobs actually require you to be able to see when you look down. I can't even imagine eating lunch while wearing a collar like that. Maybe someone skinny enough to wear something so tight would have a liquid lunch!

Ven's top was nice, but again, with the exception of the candy challenge, it had the SAME folds he's put in every garment since the show began.

Loved Christopher's jacket and I believe the idea he used for the skirt can be used to make a faux-chenille blanket (for those of use who 'quilt").

I'll take two yards of the striped fabric Sonjia used for her second skirt, but I really don't see the point of having a "baby sling" built into my work clothes!

Elena's jacket with the tight sleeves was nice (but it couldn't compete with Christopher's). Her second jacket was hideous. She should have followed her instinct and gotten rid of it. That being said . . . she is an awful person. I find it odd that she and Dmitry have not bonded, considering they should have at least a few similarities . . . the very least of which is both of them being so far from "home". I am not surprised really, given her abrasive attitude. She obviously holds nothing back when dealing with others, but the moment someone tries to stop her from what she's bullying her way through, you're greeted with a "don't talk to me like that' slap.

I thought Fabio's dress was perfect - for the tennis court. Gunnar's dress - well, as someone not blessed with boobage, I can't even say what might have gone wrong there, but it definitely went wrong. Nathan's pants looked like they were far too big for the model and she pinned them to the side in an effort to keep them from falling off.

Not surprised that Raul was sent home again, but I'm glad he called Elena on her bitterness before he left.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Melissa went with a bright color and won. Do you think she might try color again? However that very high neckline would not be practical for work no matter if you had a corner office or not.

Other than the blue pencil skirt, Ven's top and Fabio's dress, I don't really see any of the pieces being bought for office wear. If one can afford nice clothing for work, I think they would go for separates or a suit. The jackets all looked more out and about than office.

Actually Raoul's ruffles might have worked if toned down. I noticed Sonjia wore a white ruffled blouse in the work room even as she was complaining about Raoul's ruffles. But he left for more than overdone ruffles...as pointed out there was no darting or fitting showing lack of skill. I think he is the one who said he didn't tailor and didn't want to start. Good-bye non-teamer, Raoul.

It is also interesting that the team that worked best together and put together a more cohesive runway collection, lost the camera challenge. The challenge that won had Elena screeching about prop usage; but, in print, the color palate with the blue dress looked so much better than the pink print with black.

It appears as though Ven "dogs" (whatever that means) his heavier client and gets called out for it. When a perfectionist meets a challenge too far outside his box, it can get messy. Looking forward to it.
    Endit likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

"dogs" = harasses . . . . or "badgers". Weird how we borrow from the animal world sometimes.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Never too old to Twinkle! AZChristian's Avatar

I haven't had a chance to finish watching the episode yet, but one thing stood out to me last night. There seemed to be lots of people saying, "This is a TEAM. You can't have it your own way, and you can't have it your own way (pointing to other team members)." Then whoever said that, in their next confessional, said, "I don't care what anyone else wants to do. I'm having it MY way."

It's a wonder we're not all running around naked if this is how the fashion world really works!

According to them, we probably are.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Episode Notes:

The designers are so lucky I can’t reach through the tv and slap them. Raul and Elena would have big red palm prints on their cheeks right now from me whacking them multiple times. The first time Raul was sent packing, I felt sorry for him and felt he unfairly got blamed for the mistakes he made as a team. Now I feel like he was rightly sent home earlier and should have stayed gone. As for Elena, how is she ever going to get a job in the fashion world if she is so hostile to people??? Both of them need to get off their high horse and realize they’re not all that.

Frankly, I wasn’t real thrilled with any of the looks for working women. In my area, women don’t dress like that for the office. I’ve often thought that high fashion designers are out of touch with what the average woman wears and every real woman challenge they’ve had on Project Runway just seems to reinforce that.

My critiques:

Alicia:
    I don’t see a lot of difference in Alicia’s two pants. They’re about the same color and cut. Well-tailored but nothing to make them stand out. I noticed one of the outfits saw the return of the big clunky blue shoes. I mentioned last week how much I detest that look.

Christopher:
    I was shocked that the judges didn’t mention the poor texture of the skirt on his outfit. It had just been made, hardly worn, never washed and yet it was already fraying. I think you might get one or two wearings out of this skirt before it disintegrated completely. I don’t see anybody such shoddy clothes for work. You want something substantial and durable to wear to the office.

Dmitry:
    I agreed with the judges’ comments that the cutouts on the back were not appropriate for the office. Not that they're revealing or vulgar, just that they’re too casual and provocative for the workplace. I work in a state office and although I probably wouldn’t get sent home for wearing something like that, I think my boss would tell me not to wear it again in the future. Save it for club-hopping after work.

Elena:
    I hate Elena’s style. I’m glad the judges finally said something about her always doing those big, bulky shoulders. If I had my way, Elena probably wouldn’t have made it on the show or she would have been eliminated several episodes back. I thought she deserved to be in the bottom two this week with Raul more than Gunnar did.

Fabio:
    His dress was ok, but I found it boring. It would be better if it was a tad more form-fitting. I hated the headband and thought it really inappropriate for a working woman. With her hair pulled back like that, she looks like her job is cleaning toilets, except the dress is a bit too fancy for that. Maybe she cleans toilets in a fancy hotel.

Gunnar:
    His dress isn’t my style, since I don’t like to expose my upper arms and with my big boobs, the last thing I need is to enclose them together to make one big uni-boob. However, skinny girls can pull off this look. I think it looks cute on the model. I could see younger girls at my office wearing it.

Melissa:
    I didn’t have the love for Melissa’s outfit that the judges did. I was very happy to see her design something with a pronounced color instead of her usual black or neutral palette. However, I don’t like the high cowl neckline. It would drive me crazy wearing something like that all day. It reminds me of the cardboard collars you put on your pet when they’ve had surgery and have an area you need to keep them from chewing on.

Nathan:
    This read more resort wear than office wear to me. I liked the top better than the pants. If the pants had been cut straight, they would have been great. I didn’t like the assymetrical cross-pleat. Nathan said he did it intentionally but it looks like a mistake, bad tailoring.

Raul:
    Raul is sure out of touch with what women wear to work. I don’t know many women who wear ruffles and lace to the office. Most women like a sleek, modern look. Raul should have listened to advice from the women on his team, especially since he’s already been sent home once and they’re still in the competition. His resistance to being a team player ultimately led to him being auf’d again.

Sonjia:
    I liked the blue pencil skirt Sonjia did for one of her looks. The other skirt, I didn’t care for. The criss-crossing of the skirt coupled with the stripes going every which way was too busy and unflattering. I think she played it safe with the first skirt and tried too hard with the second one.

Ven:
    Dmitry was right...Ven is a one way monkey! We know he can do architectural shaping of his fabrics. I’d like to know if he can do anything else. He’s like a kid who studied napkin folding and learned how to do a rose really well and everyone ooh’d and aah’d over it so much, he never learned to do other arrangements. He just kept working on perfecting that one look. Eventually that gets old and you stop caring how well he can make napkin roses.
    Last edited by pikachu; 08-17-2012 at 01:53 PM.
    Debb70 likes this.
    Face Off 6 Pool: Registration closed
    Amazing Race 24 Pool: Registration closed
    Survivor Cagayan 6 Pool: Registration closed
    Dancing With the Stars 18 Pool: Registration closed
    Click here for general pool information and lists of previous pool winners!

FORT Fogey

I find it interesting to watch what the designers thremselves wear during the show. Some go all out to "dress" up in some strange outfits( Mondo! Buffy!) and others dress more professionally like they are in a business dealing with clients. That being said, Sonjia was totally out of line with her hot pants jeans yesterday. She presented herself terribly and I am totally disappointed in her. The previous week, she wore capri length cut off jeans and that was bad enough.....but yesterday's outfit was childish and immature for a woman looking to make her way in the fashion business

Never too old to Twinkle! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    I find it interesting to watch what the designers thremselves wear during the show. Some go all out to "dress" up in some strange outfits( Mondo! Buffy!) and others dress more professionally like they are in a business dealing with clients. That being said, Sonjia was totally out of line with her hot pants jeans yesterday. She presented herself terribly and I am totally disappointed in her. The previous week, she wore capri length cut off jeans and that was bad enough.....but yesterday's outfit was childish and immature for a woman looking to make her way in the fashion business
    But if you dress badly and call it "avant garde," you're "fashion forward."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast