+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: All Stars 2/9 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Re: All Stars 2/9 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Here are pictures of this week's fashions:

Bunny555 likes this.

FORT Fogey

If Rami had had a plain turtleneck like blouse under the jacket Austen would have gone (I wish!)
    Uncle David likes this.

FORT Fogey

I loved Mondo's outfit, but lose the bag. Kenley's was TOO Kenley...and childish. Then again, I'm not a fan of this year's host and judges...but how COULD they not send Austin home?? Everything is too fru-fru, and now a Broadway challenge? Another costume - up his alley.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

My critiques: I wasnít real thrilled with the fashions this week. I would have thought the four seasons would have inspired more beautiful creations. Isn't it interesting that in each pair of designers, the one who lost was the one who so far had been doing best this season (Austin won one challenge, Kara won none; Mondo won one challenge, Kenley won none; Rami won one challenge, Mila won none; Michael won 2 challenges, Jerell won one).

Austin: I didnít like the color pairing of the tan and pink. Perhaps if the sweater/jacket had been cream colored with no flowers on it, it would have gone well with the floral shirt and tan pants. As it was the flowered top with the flowered pink jacket was too much, too sickly sweet. Austin has done much better work in the past. Where has his fashion style gone?

Jerell: I was happy Jerell won this week. He did a lot of pieces for this challenge and executed them all well so even though his outfit isnít something Iíd wear, he definitely did the most with this weekís theme.

Kara: I didnít like Karaís outfit, especially the long jacket as viewed from the back, but it was better than Austinís so she grudgingly deserved the win. I think the jacket would have been more effective if it was shorter and more tailored. When you have all long drapy pieces, they look messy together. You need some structure to add interest.

Kenley: Kenleyís outfit is ok but itís a bit drab to me and it looks like kidsí pajamas. Adults shouldnít leave the house looking like theyíre going to a sleepover with a bunch of 7 year olds.

Michael: Michael absolutely stole his ideas from Jerell. I happened to catch the show again when it repeated because I was working on the computer and left the tv on Lifetime. I hadnít noticed before that Jerell picked out his fabric at Mood first. Michael had been wandering around the store looking at a lot of things but didnít pick a fabric until he saw Jerell pick his. Then he kept changing ideas in the workroom until his outfit started to look suspiciously like Jerellís. Michael should have been sent home this week for being a copycat. Even if you donít view it as cheating, it is laziness to steal an idea from another designer instead of coming up with your own ideas.

Mila: I never have liked Milaís outfits. I guess I just donít get her. I wouldnít be caught dead in this getup. I hate how the sleeves poke through the cape/poncho. I donít care for the blocks of color on the poncho either. In a way it reminds me of a snuggie/slanket, and I donít like those either!

Mondo: I loved the top of Mondoís outfit but hated the shorts. I always wondered if Mondo designed the outfits he himself wears and I guess this outfit answered that with a big yes. The Pinocchio shorts look a little better on the model than they do on Mondo but theyíre still not stylish.

Rami: Rami, what did you do??? What were you smoking the night before this challenge? I actually like the blouse itself but not the color. The navy blue (as he called it) is too loud and jarring. I hate the shirt under it, both the yellow-green color and the poor construction of it. If Rami had done his blouse in a more pleasing color and not included the undershirt, I think he would have won this week. Itís a shame heís out because he was one of the most promising designers this season.
    Last edited by pikachu; 02-10-2012 at 01:23 PM.

well wasn't it Mondo's and Michael's season that Tim Gunn kept saying the judges were smoking crack..lol...maybe they left some behind and the desiners found it
    Little Sew&Sew likes this.
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyFaery View Post
    well wasn't it Mondo's and Michael's season that Tim Gunn kept saying the judges were smoking crack..lol...maybe they left some behind and the desiners found it
    Yes, theirs was the season Gretchen wore with "ready to wear" pieces that included granny panty shorts similar to what Michael designed last week. It was drab, didn't have any uniqueness (screamed 70s) and the jewelry was the most interesting part...

... except it wasn't Project Accessory and it was far too big for the outfits.

Sometimes sadly I think Mondo has given up at times because he's afraid he'll again be in the finals and lose to a mediochre designer. Happened IMHO with Korto her second go (I don't think Korto would've beaten Jillian - both were good so it's a tossup).

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    My critiques: I wasn’t real thrilled with the fashions this week. I would have thought the four seasons would have inspired more beautiful creations. Isn't it interesting that in each pair of designers, the one who lost was the one who so far had been doing best this season (Austin won one challenge, Kara won none; Mondo won one challenge, Kenley won none; Rami won one challenge, Mila won none; Michael won 2 challenges, Jerell won one).

Austin: I didn’t like the color pairing of the tan and pink. Perhaps if the sweater/jacket had been cream colored with no flowers on it, it would have gone well with the floral shirt and tan pants. As it was the flowered top with the flowered pink jacket was too much, too sickly sweet. Austin has done much better work in the past. Where has his fashion style gone?

Jerell: I was happy Jerell won this week. He did a lot of pieces for this challenge and executed them all well so even though his outfit isn’t something I’d wear, he definitely did the most with this week’s theme.

Kara: I didn’t like Kara’s outfit, especially the long jacket as viewed from the back, but it was better than Austin’s so she grudgingly deserved the win. I think the jacket would have been more effective if it was shorter and more tailored. When you have all long drapy pieces, they look messy together. You need some structure to add interest.

Kenley: Kenley’s outfit is ok but it’s a bit drab to me and it looks like kids’ pajamas. Adults shouldn’t leave the house looking like they’re going to a sleepover with a bunch of 7 year olds.

Michael: Michael absolutely stole his ideas from Jerell. I happened to catch the show again when it repeated because I was working on the computer and left the tv on Lifetime. I hadn’t noticed before that Jerell picked out his fabric at Mood first. Michael had been wandering around the store looking at a lot of things but didn’t pick a fabric until he saw Jerell pick his. Then he kept changing ideas in the workroom until his outfit started to look suspiciously like Jerell’s. Michael should have been sent home this week for being a copycat. Even if you don’t view it as cheating, it is laziness to steal an idea from another designer instead of coming up with your own ideas.

Mila: I never have liked Mila’s outfits. I guess I just don’t get her. I wouldn’t be caught dead in this getup. I hate how the sleeves poke through the cape/poncho. I don’t care for the blocks of color on the poncho either. In a way it reminds me of a snuggie/slanket, and I don’t like those either!

Mondo: I loved the top of Mondo’s outfit but hated the shorts. I always wondered if Mondo designed the outfits he himself wears and I guess this outfit answered that with a big yes. The Pinocchio shorts look a little better on the model than they do on Mondo but they’re still not stylish.

Rami: Rami, what did you do??? What were you smoking the night before this challenge? I actually like the blouse itself but not the color. The navy blue (as he called it) is too loud and jarring. I hate the shirt under it, both the yellow-green color and the poor construction of it. If Rami had done his blouse in a more pleasing color and not included the undershirt, I think he would have won this week. It’s a shame he’s out because he was one of the most promising designers this season.

I like Joanna's (the mentor, hope I got her name right) attitude who cares if you are doing something similiar make it yours and the best that you can do.
    Florimel, Hyper, Endit and 1 others like this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

You are right. I am sure Joanna has seen so many articles of clothing, she realizes that there isn't too much new under the sun.

I am also shocked that both went with bag-lady brown . I know winter and it is depressing enough that one needs to wear a bright color winter coat so as not to get blended into the muddy snow background. If Michael had worked in any color than brown, there would have been no hint of a copy
    Last edited by ibot2much; 02-10-2012 at 04:13 PM.
    Florimel and Endit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I like Joanna's (the mentor, hope I got her name right) attitude who cares if you are doing something similiar make it yours and the best that you can do.
    I would think a successful fashion designer would want to be setting trends, not following them. You're not going to set trends if you look around to see what your competitors are doing and copy them.

And it's not like he just copied Jerell's style. He copied the exact outfit he was working on this week.

I agree with ibot2much that I found their choice of color palette disappointing. What, you're not allowed to wear colors in the winter? I wish one of them had stepped outside the box and chosen something besides a dark neutral to work with.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

The only way to really know who copies who would be to actually be in the room.

Remember . . . the show is HEAVILY edited before we get to see it. Everything from shopping at Mood to sewing/designing in the workroom to who walks down the runway first. How are we to actually know what happened when? If we are depending on TPTB to show us, we will be sadly disappointed if we are ever shown all the footage.
    CrazyDutchWoman likes this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

+ Reply to Thread