+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Project Accessory 11/17 Show Discussion

Re: Project Accessory 11/17 Show Discussion

I want to really like this show but even though I start out watching with anticipation, I'm always disappointed.
    Their workroom seems so dark and dingy. Am probably comparing it to Project Runway but it does make it more difficult to see what all they're doing and I'm interested in that part. It also makes it hard to see what others, behind, next to, etc are doing while the camera focuses on one.
    Being accessories it's hard to really see them on the runway. I wish they'd have a like a big monitor up, like in sports, so we have a better idea of what's being shown.
    As an example, when I first saw Nina's rose ring, I thought it was ugly and odd shaped. Couldn't understand the judge that said she'd wear it in a minute. But then going to PA website, "rate the Runway" it looks fabulous.
    I suppose if it gets good ratings, it'll return and maybe they'll make some changes so we can see everything better.
    And I'm watching on my DH's giant flat tv!
    Shoepie likes this.

FORT Fogey

Set design is very important and I agree the workroom is dark, too small and dingy. The mentor is lack luster, as well, contributing to the bleak atmosphere. Tim Gunn is difficult competition but couldn't they have found someone with more personality?

We do not get a good view of their creations and that is a huge mistake. We see bigger clearer shots when the judges deliberate but they flash too briefly. I hit pause but that should not be necessary.

I like the show well enough to have it on my DVR but I don't look forward to it as I do some others.

I don't get Lifetime on my TV so I watch the show a day or 2 later on my computer. I enjoy it, but neither Molly (host) nor Eva (mentor) have much personality. I do think some of the remaining designers have a great deal of talent. It must be difficult, if you are a jewelry designer, to suddenly have to make shoes or a handbag.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Photobabe View Post
    I don't get Lifetime on my TV so I watch the show a day or 2 later on my computer. I enjoy it, but neither Molly (host) nor Eva (mentor) have much personality. I do think some of the remaining designers have a great deal of talent. It must be difficult, if you are a jewelry designer, to suddenly have to make shoes or a handbag.
    I agree. It cannot be as evenly matched as PR. The guy who was eliminated made beautiful shoes that were flawless and commercial quality. That is what he does. I think it will be easier for the bag maker to pull off good jewelry than it was for a jewelry maker to craft a bag.

I agree with everyone....it is harder for these contestants to make something they have never made before.

I also think Nina (?) should have won the challenge. She was very creative and made more items than the others...purse, ring, buckle on purse, etc.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

Quote Originally Posted by Photobabe View Post
    I agree on the personality - I really think both are trying to be clones of Heidi and Tim.

Speaking as a jewelrymaker, I wouldn't have as much trouble designing a pair of shoes or a bag. With my diachroic work in particular I've thought of a few ideas - including clothes that would match that design idea (some came to mind with Mondo's work).

What I'd have trouble is I'd have to learn how to use the equipment to make the shoes (the forms, the stitching machines) and same with the bags if anything but fabric.

I think these designers have loads of talent IMHO in the ideas of the design and such. They have to deal with unreasonable time frames even in jewelry (my classes were three hours twice a week and it still took two weeks full work to properly cast my first ring), and they also didn't get a crash course in all areas.

I promise you on the crash course issue that when they do hats - Adrian's expertise, there will be people with the same troubles because hats have to be lined with some sort of stiffener (not cardboard, but kinda going that realm), then covered with fabric, put on some sort of hat form to make sure it fits certain sizes, and accessorized. Men's hats have to sometimes be shaped for proper looks (bowlers, cowboy hats, the like). A proper hat can take at least two days to make.

This isn't a bad idea for a series but they're going to really have to work on consistency in judging and what they do/don't do in the challenges.

I will say however this is the only reason why I can see them not doing any type of casting project in this show save the shoe wedges and the like.

The learning curve for designing stuff they don't usually make somehow makes the super fast challenges and thrown-in-surprises even worse than in PR. I don't want to see them make even a 3 minute item at the last second when they are just trying (some of them) to learn to make a bag for the first time. Give them the time to properly make what they've imagined. I think PR is suffering now too because the challenges have been sped up.

I liked the top four designs and would have liked all four as winners. I agreed that the bags the bottom four had weren't great, but 3 of the 4 were judged harshly because the bag was too big, yet that was part of the challenge - to fit in all the stuff the client had. It seemed unfair to judge them like that for something that the challenge required. Of course the girl that had to fit the 15" laptop in was going to make too big a bag and it was going to look like luggage. Her design wasn't necessarily great, but she started out with a 'big' disadvantage.
    Endit and Photobabe like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie View Post
    I actually find myself liking this show- not so much for the contestants, but for being about to see how they go about making the accessories. I had no idea how shoes were made and although I still couldn't make a pair myself, it was neat seeing a little of the process.

I think the reason James went home over Rich was because they really wanted him to go last week but he had immunity. Rich's bag was so poorly executed that he should thank his lucky stars that James didn't finish his extra project or he would be gone. It sort-of seems like in school- if you don't answer a test question, you fail, but if you answer it wrong sometimes you will get points for effort.
    Again, totally agree. I'll give the judges the benefit of the doubt and say that's why. There's simply no other way to explain how Rich's atrocious bag did not get him eliminated.

As someone said upthread, I wish they gave them more time to do a complete job on their accessories- it would be nice to see what they could really do.
    This is a continual complaint about PR. Somehow, the producers think that the "drama" of seeing people all stressed out is worth watching. Not for me.

I also think the designers that made necklaces and bracelets out of the straps kind-of phoned it in. No creativity required. One of the desingers even said it was done 3 minutes prior to runway and they still told him it was great. The ring the one girl made was creative and it appeared she did put some thought into it.
    I agree, but in fairness, I thought it was ridiculous to throw in that extra challenge. I hate it when they do the same thing on PR. Again, the "drama" of seeing stressed out people just does not ring my chimes. Would it really kill the producers to let the contestants take their time and produce something beautiful?
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

I would have loved to see more shoes made by James. I'm in complete agreement with those who think that extra challange was a ridiculous. I think the producers and judges really screwed up this week.

I so wanted to like this show but I can't. Molly Simms is just too plain vanilla for me. Stopped watching after the 2nd week when that one designer sent down those yellow shoes with the horrible heel.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast