+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: 8/18 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 8/18 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I hated Victor's dress the shoulders looked awful. Or maybe it was the way his model wore it but she looked like she had no neck.
    Allie likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Never too old to Twinkle! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I hated Victor's dress the shoulders looked awful. Or maybe it was the way his model wore it but she looked like she had no neck.
    I didn't like it, either. And any time a designer can make a size 0 model's hips look wide, I'm thinking it's NOT going to look good on anyone else, either. A couple of last night's outfits were like that. Also, I thought the winning design looked a bit like a "Star Trek" uniform.

I liked the two different dresses where the designers picked the same fabric.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

My critiques: First of all, I think some of the designers forgot who they were designing for. Nina wears a lot of natural fibers and neutral colors with a classic look, as she described it. Some of the designers were out right away based on their choice of fabric and color.

Anthony: This look is not Nina Garcia. The top is not tailored to fit the modelís waist snugly so she looks like sheís wearing a sack with a string closure. Plus the coloring of the top makes it look like the model was splashed with mud by a truck on the way to work.

Anya: This slinky number is very nice but perhaps too provocative to wear to work. Nina would have to wear a jacket with it to make it work-appropriate.

Becky: I liked Beckyís working of this fabric better than Anthonyís. The diagonal stripes add visual interest and I like the splatter pattern better at the bottom of the outfit. I was disappointed when Becky wasnít chosen as one of the top designers.

Bert: Thereís not much to making a little black dress so I was disappointed in Bertís fabric choice. I donít think he truly made this to be a winning design. He just did enough to get by. Has he given up already, like Cecilia? Also, you canít tell from these pictures but last night on the show, I noticed this dress didnít move very well on the runway. The split in the hem gaped and pulled awkwardly. It wasnít very attractive.

Bryce: This outfit brought back memories of Loganís Run. Nina would be all set to chase runners in this outfit but the same look doesnít translate to being a fashion editor.

Cecilia: I donít know why Cecilia wasnít sent home this week. She completely gave up on the challenge and cobbled together this awful ensemble. I donít know what her excuse for not dying the fabric was. If Anya was able to get dye, why couldnít she? I thought the designers had dye provided but maybe Iím wrong. Even so, if the designers had to bring their own dye or buy it, Cecilia should have done so as a backup plan.

Danielle: Her look isnít bad. I just think itís too tame, not edgy enough for Ninaís tastes.

Joshua: I love Joshua as a person. Heís funny, snarky, and pretty cute, but I really question his fashion sense. His model looks like a Whataburger waitress or Spiderwoman without her mask. Did he really expect Nina to wear this to work and not get laughed at?

Julie: She seemed to have copied off of Ceciliaís test. Their outfits could be two looks in the same line, and theyíre both bad.

Kimberly: I wasnít as enthused with Kimberlyís outfit as the judges were. The odd lengths of the top looked like an accident to me. Itís as though the model went to the ladiesí room and when she got done, part of her top got tucked under her pants. I want to pull that side of the shirt out so it matches the other side.

Laura: Looks like a prom dress in shackles. I really donít like the arm cuffs or the see-through edging on the hem of the dress. I couldnít see Nina wearing this fabric, especially not the way itís cut.

Olivier: On the runway, I thought this looked the most like the outfits Nina wears on a regular basis and I was surprised he wasnít picked for top three. Seeing the pictures, though, I understand why he wasnít. The material has so many wrinkles in it, like it needs to be ironed. Perhaps the same colors and cut in a more durable fabric would have worked. Also, maybe Nina didnít choose this specifically because it is too close to her current look. She wants something in her taste range but a bit different from things she already owns.

Viktor: I hate the shoulder pads on this outfit. It was so unflattering and the whole silhouette of the design gives the modelís body an odd shape. Itís pretty dull, too, being all black.
    AZChristian likes this.

IF and thats a big IF I wore dresses...don't think I have put on one in 20 years ...lol I liked Laura's..but it would have to be longer....mini is NOT for me at all and green is a good color for me...it would look great on my daughter just the way it is though...I also liked Becky's dress even though she and someone else had the same fabric I think she did the best with it
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

I didn't have a problem with Anya getting help, there isn't a rule against it and she wasn't the only one who was helped. I found it interesting that Negative Nelly (Victor) singled Anya out and made some comment about how she didn't make half her outfit (really? Sewing a COLLAR is half an outfit?) and yet not one word was said about the help Cecilia (or was it Julie? I'm getting people mixed up!) received. Heck, they were gluing her garment together! If anybody had half their garment completed by somebody else then it would be Cecilia (or Julie, can't remember which one right now).

Anyways, I still like Anya. Do I want her to win? Don't care since none of the others have managed to catch my attention yet other than to make me really, really, really not like them (Bert, Victor, the lady with the white hair who tries too hard to be cool/hip).

I think I may wind up pulling for the one who won this week, she seems to have the best attitude/skills/personality combination of the lot.

Who was the woman with the ponytail who did a talking head segment about Julie being too fresh out of school and not able to sew? I didn't recognize her! Unless that was the other bleach blond? She looks completely different with the hair pulled back and is pretty much a non-entity for me at this point.

I thought the video conference was sweet.

Looking at those photos, the tailoring is HORRIBLE this season. I don't understand how any of them can mock Anya's sewing skills when they (the so-called experienced designers/sewers) can't even manage to make things fit right. The shirts are a mess, the pants all make the women look like men, the sewing is atrocious. Really shameful work, is this the season where they put all the ones who can't really sew together? Remember how well made and tailored things were on other seasons?

Nina didn't look very comfortable in the winning design, she kept fidgeting with the top and holding the bottom closed. It was not fitted well, at all.
    Last edited by Harmony2000; 08-19-2011 at 09:26 PM.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000 View Post
    I didn't have a problem with Anya getting help, there isn't a rule against it and she wasn't the only one who was helped. I found it interesting that Negative Nelly (Victor) singled Anya out and made some comment about how she didn't make half her outfit (really? Sewing a COLLAR is half an outfit?) and yet not one word was said about the help Cecilia (or was it Julie? I'm getting people mixed up!) received. Heck, they were gluing her garment together! If anybody had half their garment completed by somebody else then it would be Cecilia (or Julie, can't remember which one right now).
    I didn't necessarily have a problem with her getting help, either, since other contestants have gotten help/advice over the seasons. What did bother me a little was how Nina kept going on about how she loved the color change, and that wasn't Anya's idea at all. She would have floundered if Anthony (?) hadn't suggested it to her and shown her how to do it. That was a little disingenuous on Anya's part to take sole credit for her outfit.

Looking at those photos, the tailoring is HORRIBLE this season. I don't understand how any of them can mock Anya's sewing skills when they (the so-called experienced designers/sewers) can't even manage to make things fit right. The shirts are a mess, the pants all make the women look like men, the sewing is atrocious. Really shameful work, is this the season where they put all the ones who can't really sew together? Remember how well made and tailored things were on other seasons?

Nina didn't look very comfortable in the winning design, she kept fidgeting with the top and holding the bottom closed. It was not fitted well, at all.

Pikachu said:

Kimberly: I wasnít as enthused with Kimberlyís outfit as the judges were. The odd lengths of the top looked like an accident to me. Itís as though the model went to the ladiesí room and when she got done, part of her top got tucked under her pants. I want to pull that side of the shirt out so it matches the other side.
    At the time of the show, I loved it. Looking at it in the cold light of day, however, I see what you mean. I probably would have been tugging on it, too, since it was off-kilter.

I loved both LBD's. I think, upon reflection, that I wish they would have dropped Anya's look and put Burt in the Top 3. (And BTW, great observation, Harmony, about how Victor picked on Anya when she wasn't the only one getting help. He may design some nice dresses, but he still annoys me.)

Cecilia--I have mixed feelings about this dress. On the runway, where they showed it from the non-striped side, I thought it looked like a potato sack. Now, however, I actually think it looks pretty cute. Those touches of color are nice. However, I totally would have eliminated her based on attitude. She doesn't bother to defend or explain her dress, and instead makes it clear she gave up from the beginning like a deflated tire. I thought the same thing as somebody above--if Anya could dye her dress, then why not Cecilia? There was simply no excuse for her attitude and behavior.

And what was up with the mini-skirts? Are you allowed to wear these in a fashion magazine office? Because if I wore one where I work, I'd get sent home. Same thing with that sheer blouse that Danielle designed.

I don't know what to say about Julie. I actually don't think her dress was that bad, but I guess it was relative to the others. She did not deserve to go home, though.

Laura's dress was cute with the stripes. However, I did laugh when Michael made the remark about a Christmas tree. It's true. When I saw it on the runway, I thought "It's a giant Christmas tree ornament!"

Totally agree about Olivier's trousers. As my mother would say, "They were wrinkled'er than a dog's hind end!"
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    I loved both LBD's. I think, upon reflection, that I wish they would have dropped Anya's look and put Burt in the Top 3. (And BTW, great observation, Harmony, about how Victor picked on Anya when she wasn't the only one getting help. He may design some nice dresses, but he still annoys me.)
    I think some funky editing is going on. I've actually given this a tiny bit of thought and now I wonder if maybe Victor was talking about both of them and for whatever reasons the editing monkeys put it together to look like he was only talking about Anya. Hopefully, he isn't that ridiculous where he would whine and groan about one when another was getting more help.

And how do we know that she didn't give those who helped her credit? If they went to the trouble to make it look like Victor was zeroing in on her, it would destroy their drama ploy by having Anya give somebody credit. They are setting her up to be the one that the audience hates because she stays longer than her abilities, soon we will see more talking head segments with more designers complaining about how it isn't fair. I feel a little sorry for her, her smiles come easily so it makes me think that she is actually a very pleasant person yet the editing monkeys will make sure that the audience hates her because they need the drama.

I can't stand Bert's attitude so I'm glad he wasn't in the top, lol.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

I agree with AZChristian, the winning outfit was very Star-Trek-y. Actually, a few of the designs looked like they were space uniforms.
    I really don't understand why anyone would design a black dress when you have the possibility of it being showcased in a fashion magazine, like Marie Clare? Black doesn't show much detail of a design at all. It just all fades into a black figure.

I still don't believe Anya and her 4 month speed-sewing crash course.

I don't understand why so many would send their designs down the runway with such horrible hems. I can't sew but being short, I"ve had to hem clothes a lot and I know how to do a decent hem far better than a lot of what I saw here.

Michael Kors just enjoys making snarky comments, hoping for a laugh because it shows he knows nothing about what moms wear to feed their kids. And the orange and grey dress of Joshua's looked like it already had a built in apron.

I certainly hope that we'll see better designs as the season continues because so far, I'm not impressed at all with any of them.

I have to agree with a lot of the above posters as I have seen nothing to really impress me about any of the designers. Was there no talent available for this season?
    Allie likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Never too old to Twinkle! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I have to agree with a lot of the above posters as I have seen nothing to really impress me about any of the designers. Was there no talent available for this season?
    My entry for snarky comment of the day: This season has such poor designers that Gretchen would actually have DESERVED to win had this been her competition.

(I really crack myself up sometimes.)
    pikachu and Allie like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast