+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Fashion Show vs Project Runway

FORT Fan

The Fashion Show vs Project Runway

Now that the regular episodes have aired, and we only have the grand finale to look forward to, it's time to look at these two shows and pass judgment on who did it best.

Both had their moments, both had their flaws.

So which shows wins this round.

The original... or the knock off?

I feel almost obligated to just give the win to Project Runway, because it's what started the whole thing in the first place. I blame my sense of loyalty on that. It clearly has a bigger budget, and they obviously managed to build on their experiences from earlier seasons.

But...

The Fashion Show feels a bit more fresh. I enjoyed seeing the mini-challenges from Harper's Bazar, they were light and fun to see, with some remarkably good looking product... I'm looking at you "little Black Dress"-challenge.

The Fashion Show managed to at least present the winning garments in a way that made those wins feel justified.

With Project Runway I'm still flabbergasted by the fact that Ra'Mon and Epperson got sent home, and it just doesn't seem fair that Gordana got sent home last week. Meanwhile Christoper and Logan should have left weeks ago. Project Runway this year just didn't gel with me as it did in the past.

Nina and Michael were barely there, and they've been THE judges of Project Runway... their absence felt like they broke with tradition. Sure we still had Tim, but even he seemed to have his moments of shame... him making a personal remark about one of the contestants just felt spiteful and out of line.

The Fashion Show had the advantage of not having a history, no expectations.

I thought I would really dislike the Fashion Show, but the more I look back, the more I realize that it wasn't at all bad. It had it's charm.

And it pains me to say... but for me The Fashion Show wins this season...
    This is not a signature.

Re: The Fashion Show vs Project Runway

I disliked the Fashion Show when it was on because I felt that the premise was supposed to be ready-to-wear and they kept focusing too much on high fashion which is Project Runways thing.

The hosts bugged the daylights out of me and I didn't love the contestants. I could hardly wait for PR to come on.

Then it did and it was not the same PR. Everything had changed, the show was catty and mean. The judges (Heidi) were down right rude and cruel, the challenges ridiculous, the editing shoddy, the contestants boring, the budget seemed nonexistent. This was not the same show!

While I feel that they were both epic snooze fest failures, I'm going to give the win to The Fashion Show because I made it further into the season watching that show before I ditched it. I stopped watching it right before the final collection and I stopped watching PR when Epperson got eliminated (it became too boring!).

Both shows were boring and I really hope they figure out a way to step it up next season or I'm going to pass on both of them.

As far as being catty and mean and I think that is the influence of the new producers; Bunim/Murray, who produce MTV's Real World, Road Rules and the Challenges. This show used to have such class and sophistication and it seems that it has lowered itself to the rest of the teeming reality show horde.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Never heard of nor seen "The Fashion Show."

old cow

Quote Originally Posted by Fierce Critter;3745757;
    Never heard of nor seen "The Fashion Show."
    It was Bravo's replacement for Project Runway. It aired back in May and ran thru July/August (i think) Similar idea to PR except these were designs meant for the ready-to-wear collections. Or at least thats what it was suppose to be.

Having said that i would say Fashion Show wins in my book. The designers where waaaaaaaaaaay more interesting on that show, the challenges were fun, and even though i had my problems with Kelly Rowland (host), Issac MizRo. was fantastic! No Tim Gunn of course and still had some whack eliminations and but all in all good job.

Kao

I had high hopes for PR, but now, TFS wins hands down. It was fresh, and with some tinkering and reorganization (and making sure people at least know the rudiments of sewing) it has the potential to be a great show.

I'll admit I'm slightly biased for the avant-garde designers, but I enjoyed seeing Chicken Diva do his stuff, Anna looking stressed out but producing beautiful clothes, Danielle giving people evil eye and her wonderful silver dress, Reco's wonderful sewing skills (not to mention him telling off everyone), the cleverness of Jon Paul (did anyone notice the penis print on that Mr. Rodgers sweater he wore to the finale), Lanvingate, and a host of other things. It was a big, glittery mishmash of a mess as it should be; this was the first run and they're still tinkering with it.

Lifetime took a winning show and ruined it.

FORT Fogey

I think that The Fashion Show and PR6 should have switched designers (contestants). Because TFS's aim was to find an RTW designer yet the final fashion show collections were fierce. Meanwhile, PR6 left us with 3 RTW designers.

Quote Originally Posted by watts;3745865;
    I think that The Fashion Show and PR6 should have switched designers (contestants). Because TFS's aim was to find an RTW designer yet the final fashion show collections were fierce. Meanwhile, PR6 left us with 3 RTW designers.
    I, too, thought that the Fashion Show said it was for ready-to-wear yet gave us edgier stuff than PR. I didn't make it to the end of TFW (mainly because I got busy and forgot ... oops), but I made if farther than PR this year. And I used to love Project Runway. Once Ra'mon and Epperson left I just kept on finding excuses to not turn it on. I still check out FORT's site to see what happened and to look at the designs when posted.

I'd say the winner would be the love-child of TFS and PR.

FORT Fogey

For me PR wins hands down. I tried to watch FS, but never could get all the way through an episode, and tried taping it and watching it that way, but Isaac was just silly to me, and I couldn't stand the host and judges. The contestants were ok, but the whole picture was not a winner to me.

While PR was not great this year, we did enjoy the models follow up show and getting to know them more was worth the changes. We didn't like the challenges that much, esp. that they were too short, and Nina/Kors MIA, but I think they were affected by the lawsuit, so just getting it together this year made it through. We'll see what happens next year...hope back in NYC.

With everyone holding The Fashion Show on a higher level to this season of Project Runway, maybe I should go on YouTube, check if anyone uploaded it on there, and rewatch TFS again. I don't highly regard TFS at all, because from what I remember, I did not find it enjoyable.

Whenever it was on, I didn't really care about it, except for maybe the first episode. It bored me, and I just kept waiting for PR to start again. I finally decided to stop turning on my TV to put the show on after about halfway. I had no favorites, although I slightly liked Anna, so I was glad to read that she won (although in the back of my head, I wished that she had gone on PR and showed off her talent on there instead).

The one main thing I remember from that show was Angel's elimination. She had to do a piece inspired by hip-hop and its culture. She got eliminated on it, because Kelly Rowland (who I adored before the show started) came down on her for not knowing pratically anything about HH. Angel said that she came from an area where HH was not popular, so she had a lot of trouble with the challenge. But Kelly immediately dismissed her excuse, saying that it was preposterous for her to know nothing about HH. I do agree that HH is very popular right now and that people should have at least heard about it, but the way Kelly came down on Angel was as if she thought Angel was stupid. It left a bad taste in my mouth.

Perhaps part of the reason why PR6 is so bad is that everyone's expectations were so high. It was about a year between PR5 and PR6, and everyone patiently--or perhaps impatiently --waited for the show to start again, hoping that it would be fantastic and show TFS who's boss. But yeah, it never met those expectations, unfortunately, with them being a little too high.

My opinion is unpopular, but I'm going to say PR6 > TFS. This might sound absurd, but I've gotten really into Project Runway as a whole after watching this season. I didn't really care about PR4, and I cared half as less about PR5. But after waiting so long for PR6, I made it a priority to try and get invested in it, because honestly, in the past, I just put the show on and paid more attention to my computer rather than watch it. I didn't really care. But this season, I sat back and watched it, and I actually enjoyed most of it. It's always better to have favorites while watching reality shows, and this season, I got really attached to Gordana and Matar (on Models of the Runway, which was a great addition). Whenever they won, I cheered outloud, and when they were down, my heart was beating in suspense. It was an added bonus to see them paired together. In season's past, I never really got attached to anyone. I liked Leanne and was happy she won, but I didn't jump up and down or anything.

So yeah, anyway, I think I kind of just went off on a tangent right there. Basically, I liked this season way more than TFS.

ETA: This is a great idea for a thread, btw.
    Last edited by CrossingGuard; 11-08-2009 at 08:34 PM.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast