+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: 9/13 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Nino71 View Post
    Long time lurker, first time poster!!

Is it just me or did Jeffrey's outfit look like Julia Roberts' hooker dress from Pretty Woman? Sorry I'm not allowed to post a link, but image google: pretty woman.

With this outfit, his jetsetter's rock outfit and his Madonna make over, he seems stuck in the 80s (not a great time for fashion IMHO).
    BTW I was watching the Golden Girls this morning and Bea Arthur was wearing a nightgown that looked exactly like the dress Jeff made for Angela's Mom!

So he is definately stuck in the 80s, but Maude's nightie! Yikes!!!!
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. -Albert Einstein

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Runway victim View Post
    BTW I
    So he is definately stuck in the 80s, but Maude's nightie! Yikes!!!!
    That's so true and funny!

Moi
    Quote Originally Posted by corprip View Post

I hate to drag all this out again, but I think Laura was indeed drinking on the show. It didn't seem like they had an alternative to champagne, but I could be wrong. It's taboo in the new Puritan America for her to even think about drinking, so I hope she doesn't get tarred and feathered for it.
    corprip, I watched very carefully. She filled a glass, but never drank from it. In fact she just held it in front of her like it was a prop. I've known people who would do that before when they didn't really want to drink but didn't want to be bothered by other people offering them drinks.

She's been pregnant enough and probably has to attend enough social functions that I'm sure she's developed coping mechanisms for these kinds of situations.

in any case, when you see them toasting a few of them have different colored drinks

Her husband is Peter Shelton, a partner in Shelton, Mindel and Associates. He is an architect, and his firm did the Ralph Lauren flagship store in NYC. Laura worked at the firm too.

I hate to drag all this out again, but I think Laura was indeed drinking on the show. It didn't seem like they had an alternative to champagne, but I could be wrong. It's taboo in the new Puritan America for her to even think about drinking, so I hope she doesn't get tarred and feathered for it.
    I really don't think she was. First of all, last episode, she only held the glass, but didn't drink. The episode where they flew to Paris, I am sure they would have supplied an alternative. They did for Heidi. There are many ways you can deal when you are pregnant and everyone around is drinking. Also, if you look at the drinks closely, they don't all look the same.

Her husband is Peter Shelton, a partner in Shelton, Mindel and Associates. He is an architect, and his firm did the Ralph Lauren flagship store in NYC. Laura worked at the firm too.

ooh, thanks for the info, I didn't know his last name, or company.

Well, everyone knows that drinking can harm the baby.. I wouldn't call it taboo so much as.. risky and selfish and crazy. I remember someone talking about a very pregnant Gwyneth Paltrow drinking a few beers due to heineken's high iron count, but I considered it dumb. There are better ways of getting iron into a body, especially when its a pregnant body...

Fetal Alcohol syndrome, though it usually requires large amounts of alcohol, is nothing to take a chance on....

Still as others have said, she's been pregnant too many times not to know what to do, so i have faith in her....
    "Man is Elyse [top model] ever thin. Makes me want to go to the gym. Right after I eat my sandwich." - Giz
    "Every time you donít buy CoverGirl cosmetics, Jesus cries" - SnowflakeGirl
    "And I'm also tired of people saying "OMG I'LL NEVER WATCH AGAIINNN". Come on now. ANTM is cocaine and you are the lindsay lohans who crave it" - queenegoist

I was watching some of the bonus video footage on the Bravo website, and I can certainly sympathize with Laura's irritation that Angela was brought back.

For one thing, she pointed out that Angela had not had to do the difficult pull-off-a-couture-dress-in-two-days challenge. Per Laura (and the other designers, as I recall), this was an incredibly difficult challenge that was very taxing. Angela got to skip this challenge and still have a chance to come back.

Moreover, as I think about it now, that means Angela had a day or two of halfway-decent sleep that the other designers did not get, because they were so busy trying to pull of the couture challenge. That may seem insignificant, but I think every little bit of sleep counts. Angela got to come into the black and white challenged way more refreshed than Laura.

Finally, about this whole ludicrous (IMO) idea of bringing back an auf'ed person for a second chance: What if someone had won a challenge early on, and then been auf'd shortly thereafter. While other designers were pressing through subsequent challenges, the auf'ed person would be resting, catching up on sleep, etc. Should that person have the right to compete against the designers who've been at it non-stop since day one? Even if you make the case that the auf'd-and-brought-back designer has to actually *win* the challenge in order to stay, I still cry foul. It's no longer a level playing field. Once you're out, you should stay out.

As I mentioned earlier, though, I'm totally in favor of having the final 4 do 2 challenges before the judges narrow it down to the final 3.

Quote Originally Posted by dallas_viewer View Post
    I was watching some of the bonus video footage on the Bravo website, and I can certainly sympathize with Laura's irritation that Angela was brought back.

For one thing, she pointed out that Angela had not had to do the difficult pull-off-a-couture-dress-in-two-days challenge. Per Laura (and the other designers, as I recall), this was an incredibly difficult challenge that was very taxing. Angela got to skip this challenge and still have a chance to come back.

Moreover, as I think about it now, that means Angela had a day or two of halfway-decent sleep that the other designers did not get, because they were so busy trying to pull of the couture challenge. That may seem insignificant, but I think every little bit of sleep counts. Angela got to come into the black and white challenged way more refreshed than Laura.
    Finally, about this whole ludicrous (IMO) idea of bringing back an auf'ed person for a second chance: What if someone had won a challenge early on, and then been auf'd shortly thereafter. While other designers were pressing through subsequent challenges, the auf'ed person would be resting, catching up on sleep, etc. Should that person have the right to compete against the designers who've been at it non-stop since day one? Even if you make the case that the auf'd-and-brought-back designer has to actually *win* the challenge in order to stay, I still cry foul. It's no longer a level playing field. Once you're out, you should stay out.

As I mentioned earlier, though, I'm totally in favor of having the final 4 do 2 challenges before the judges narrow it down to the final 3.

i think they want us to factor in that if someone has won a challenge they have the talent necessary to get to the final 3.
    i don't know if i really agree with that but it has some logic in it i guess.

Yes, TunaFests, I think that's what Tim Gunn implied - that if a designer had won a challenge, maybe they shouldn't be so hasty to discount that designer...

On paper, that might look good. But in practice, I thought this was unfair, for the reasons I stated.

And something else: I think these three seasons of PR have shown us that until you get down to the final 4-5, most of the auf'd designers deserve their aufing. (Ironically, the only one I think was auf'd unfairly this season was Alison, and as she had never won a challenge, she didn't get to come back.)

Or, put another way, I think the final 4-5 probably *are* the best of the bunch, based on what the challenges showed us.

Not to mention that I personally think that, if the judges really like someone (like they seemed to love Keith), they aren't going to auf him any too soon--even if he doesn't create the required dog outfit, or whatever. They'll do their best to give that person a pass and keep him/her moving to the next level. So again, I think this helps to ensure that the final 4-5 really are the most viable designers.

And again, if TPTB are concerned that the right finalists end up going to FW, I think they could simply have the final 4 (or 5) do two challenges and use the combined scores from those challenges to determine who is auf'd and who goes to FW.

I've just watched the show and I know the discussion has run rings around any of my observations so I would like to add that I'm so glad Cloe pushed for Michael to be included in the show when Tim was hesitant. It appears that one winner can spot another winner (at least I hope that is the case.) His dress flowed soft and feminine - lovely. The black cumberbund with shredded detailing kept it edgy as the judges seem to appreciate.

I feel for Laura's raging hormones. She is what - 3-4 months pregnant at this viewing? I hope they let her husband deliver a suitcase of the maternity dresses she probably designed for herself. Snug fitting knit won't be that attrative in another month. I also think, if she can withstand the pressure, that she will be in the final three. Her dress for the cocktail challenge was different and more youthful than her previous same ole' same ole' Laura dresses. I like that she took the model's advice and added the sleeves. They changed the neckline enough that it took the dress of of old and dull. As usual, wonderful construction work.

I have seen a version of Uli's dress where the extra long sleeve and neckline are at the same level - at a Renaissance Faire. I thought the look interesting if too fussy done in a print. The extra fabric necklace was a joke, though. It was almost enough rope for her to hang herself.

Jeffrey and his rock style chippie outfits...'nuff said. I wonder if those leggings would begin to itch once you danced at the club for a period of time?

If Angela had cut the ruching to 1/4 inch width and cut the whole "collar" down to 2 inches in height, she might have been able to call it 18th century English Town attire, but as it is - whoops! Perhaps Lady Butterball would have worn it to the squeeze of the London Season, but there are no more squeezes of the season. Instead of flowers, Angela went for ruffles and was aufed with a flourish.

Then there is Vincent - slouching his way back into the workroom. The white top and black bottom (though I agree it was way too short) is commonplace. While it was truly unfortunate that Jia was unable to model the dress, he needed to make it work and missed by five inches. An awkard Auf for the fashion gnome. Sidenote: I was happy to read that she is now healed enough to model on the runway again.

Poor, sweet, Elvish Kane. He went for draping with a cut out back and missed by the lace of a white ribbon. For once his material flowed soft (not stiff) and I'm sorry he didn't understand that they were looking for more of the white than he threaded. Sweet Auf Kane. I hope your business picks up for you.

What in the heck was Heidi wearing for the runway show? There were so many pleats and darts and gathers, I couldn't get any sense of it.

I'm looking forward to Tim's podcast and his take on the "surprise."
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread