+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Uli Herzner - Season 3

FORT Newbie
    all design aesthetic aside I think she's cute and incredibly sweet.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by exzebache View Post
    all design aesthetic aside I think she's cute and incredibly sweet.
    I was thinkiing the same thing last week. She comes of as naturally kind and calm. I wish I could be like that!

FORT Newbie
    Tim on his podcast compared her to Diane Von Furstenburg...talking about her expertise with prints. I don't see what the big deal was, with the giraffe print!

Harmless and unoffensive ComputerSaysNo's Avatar
    She does seem like a friendly, mellow person. I just really want to see her make something besides a halter!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by lilyhiker View Post
    Tim on his podcast compared her to Diane Von Furstenburg...talking about her expertise with prints. I don't see what the big deal was, with the giraffe print!
    She mixed the giraffe print with another. The giraffe print was on the straps and dog, the other print was the main dress.

FORT Regular
    same dress, different fabric. How much can you modify a halter dress pattern?

Mike

I guess having a background as an art quilter, the ability to match a couple of prints doesn't really impress me. I've often put 40-100 patterned fabrics together, and they've all got to work in the order in which they are placed, work together and not work against one another, and yet seem cohesive, the values and color saturation have to work, etc. So, a couple of fabrics that work together is nothing spectacular to moi.

Harmless and unoffensive ComputerSaysNo's Avatar
    Uli's dresses are irritating me. When Stacy got Auf'd the first week, Michael Kors talked about the top of her dress looking like "the pillows are still in the pillowcases". Uli's just got the funbags flying free all over the place!

Miss Diana Ross would demand to have her tata's supported, I most certainly assure you.

I kinda want to see her get to the top 3 now, just to see if she actually makes 13 halter dresses!

I'd like to see a little more variety from her myself, but as a seamstress myself, I have to be fair. Given the time constrictions, they have to cut construction corners where they can, and the first thing that goes is fitted sleeves -- that takes a lot of time when you have to start from scratch, witout pattern pieces or any of Keith's books. Have you noticed how many sleeveless dresses and top there have been, lots of sweetheart necklines, spaghetti straps, halter tops, etc.? I'm actually shocked there have been so many pants this season, construction wise, they are the most challenging, and the hardest to fit, compared to skirts (although once Laura did it once, maybe she could use the templates from the first time for the second, thereby saving time).

Halter tops are much easier to design a working pattern for, and much easier to fit on your model, so in a way, it makes sense.

Uli irritates the crap out of me! Mainly becuase so far, her dresses have all followed the same basic idea and the judges don't seem to be noticing or saying anything, and on the other side, they seem to love her! Her personality is nice... and She's really laid back, etc... But she is in no way passionate, I feel, and I think the designer who wins should be passionate... And yeah, I'd like to see her and Heidi get into that screaming match too! Along with her 13 halter-style dresses in all the animal and graffiti prints in the world! ew. I'm waiting for her to go out.

+ Reply to Thread