+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Wendy Pepper

Quote Originally Posted by Salome
    If that's Latin on the shirt, I believe it's incorrect, but could easily be wrong...
    "Don't defend the shoe." = "Noli calceum defendere." Maybe?
    ETA: Sorry, this is incredibly random of me! What do I know? Who even cares?
    Probably about 99% of us care WAY too much. Myself at the front of that line.

I ran those words through a free latin dictionary translator, and I got a slightly different result, but one which reveals the REAL meaning:

"Refuse to defend the RED Shoe!"

Okay, since at least one other person cares.... I only took a semester of Latin to get the basics, and I was able to get the phrase's meaning, but I think "patrocinor" (defend) is a deponent verb, meaning it doesn't have the active infinitive form they used, "patrocinare." I also believe they didn't decline "calceus" (shoe) into its direct object case, "calceum." I'm likely wrong here. But if I'm not, I think it's silly to put bad grammar on a shirt, even if the phrase is cute and the language dead and it's all in good fun...

Quote Originally Posted by Salome
    Okay, since at least one other person cares.... I only took a semester of Latin to get the basics, and I was able to get the phrase's meaning, but I think "patrocinor" (defend) is a deponent verb, meaning it doesn't have the active infinitive form they used, "patrocinare." I also believe they didn't decline "calceus" (shoe) into its direct object case, "calceum." I'm likely wrong here. But if I'm not, I think it's silly to put bad grammar on a shirt, even if the phrase is cute and the language dead and it's all in good fun...
    Lol! No, Salome, you're right about the grammar, although the designer might not have known. But anyway.

"Patrocinor" is deponent and would've been the passive "patrocinari",or, if they'd wanted to use "defenso," the infinitive should've been "defensare." But "patrocinor" meaning protect fits the sentence better than "defenso," guard. And "calceus" should have the male accusative "um" or plural "os" ending -- calceum/calceos, shoe/shoes.

ETA: Forgive me, I almost never get the chance to exercise the Latin muscles, so I just go buck wild when the opportunity presents itself.
    Last edited by MotherSister; 02-19-2005 at 09:02 PM.

Am I the ONLY one who thinks it's bizarre that there's a sudden swing of pro-Wendy opinions on the official Bravo message board? Suddenly, pro-Wendy people come in, post 3 or 4 messages about how she's "OMG SO Misunderstoooooood!" and how eeeevil Kara Saun and Jay were in catching on to her bad attitude and shunning her and yada yada yada. Then they leave the board and apparently resurrect themselves as yet another poster.

And all of them tend to sound *remarkably* like Wendy herself when she's whining on in the show. Down to the delusions of adequacy, elaborate sense of paranoia and self-justifications that make no sense whatsoever.

Methinks Wendy herself might be trying to shift the odds on the internet in her favor! :

Thank god she hasn't contaminated here, however...

That might be a very Pepper thing to do. Although I'm sure a lot of people found some sympathy for her last Wendesday when Vanessa was so blunt about her being a terrible designer and casting suspicion about the drawing. She just might have racked up some fans from that whole spectacle. Wendy is pretty good at playing the sad-act.

Quote Originally Posted by MotherSister
    That might be a very Pepper thing to do. Although I'm sure a lot of people found some sympathy for her last Wendesday when Vanessa was so blunt about her being a terrible designer and casting suspicion about the drawing. She just might have racked up some fans from that whole spectacle. Wendy is pretty good at playing the sad-act.
    Hah, true, maybe some of them are just late-comers who got suckered in by Wendy's zen stare of ultimate evil in the recap episode. I guess if you DIDN'T see all the [mod edit] Wendy's pulled through the entire show, you'd think she was being beat up on unnecessarily.

Though personally, I wouldn't care if Wendy went Mother Theresa and started a charity in the slums of Bombay in her spare time. Some of the things they called the other competitors on BR (like "dumb yahoos" and people who were "[mod edit] with me") is just too noxious to ever forget.

But the fact that there are suddenly SO many of these posters... and that so many of them apparently do nothing BUT post on Pepper and then leave after a couple of messages rings definite warning bells! O.O
    Last edited by Mantenna; 02-19-2005 at 11:50 PM.

Mariagoner, I haven't been able to keep up with those boards lately. Last time I checked, there were 1200 unread messages and I just closed the screen. But I did notice all the Wendy apologists starting to come out in force.

I admit, I feel sorry for Wendy. She doesn't seem to know quite how to handle herself in social settings, and her awkwardness makes her defensive, which turns everyone else off around her.

But Wendy does deserve credit for one big thing: she listened to the criticism from the judges, and from Tim, and she applied them to her work. That is the difference between her and Austin, and it's what proved her ultimate staying power.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

Quote Originally Posted by corprip
    I admit, I feel sorry for Wendy. She doesn't seem to know quite how to handle herself in social settings, and her awkwardness makes her defensive, which turns everyone else off around her.
    Awkwardness is one thing; malice is another. Wendy might have felt the former, but that's no excuse for reverting to the latter. Especially since-- for all her talk about being "sooooooo old and out of touch"-- there were other mature 40-somethings on Project Runway!

I'm actually a rather shy person in real life, which is a marked contrast to my online persona I know. But even when I felt more alone and awkward, I never found myself backstabbing at people, getting angry at them to getting angry at MY attempts to manipulate them... and generally being enough of a flaming bitch to make previously friendly people (like Kara Saun and Austin) think I'm the epitome of ultimate evil.

And as for her paying attention to people... well, isn't that what she does for a living? She's a dressmaker-- people come to her with a specific type of dress in mind and she executes it more or less precisely as they ask. (Sometimes less precisely because of her awful tailoring skills.)

If Project Runway is looking for a decent dressmaker who can follow very precise instructions and make more-or-less inoffensive clothes for D-list celebrities, then they've got their dream hag in Wendy. Otherwise, she sticks out of the Final 3 like a sore thumb.

I will concede that Wendy was canny in ONE way, however. The fact that she had her website primed and full of flattering material on herself even before the show began and tried to "spin" her story proves that she's more meduia savvy that she comes across...
    Last edited by mariagoner; 02-19-2005 at 09:37 PM.

If Project Runway is looking for a decent dressmaker who can follow very precise instructions and make more-or-less inoffensive clothes for D-list celebrities, then they've got their dream hag in Wendy. Otherwise, she sticks out of the Final 3 like a sore thumb.
    Sorry, did I say "inoffensive?" Looking through her website again, I see I got it wrong. More than few of her dresses are scandalously see-through. And at least one looks like an aluminum-wrapped protective condom.

Who knew that Wendy had such a kinky streak in her?

Also, note that she recycled that ugly lettuce wrap dress on that last, nipple-laden model for her runway show. AND she paired that hideous bottom with an even more hideous plaid corset that made her model's breasts look lopsided.Pepper, did you learn nothing from Tim when he tried to patiently massage you out of your protective cocoon of dowdiness on the show?!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mantenna; 02-19-2005 at 11:57 PM. Reason: See-through isn't PG-13.

And look! Here's one of the hot camera men that Wendy may or may not have sexually harassed! (As per Vanessa's interview with PopGurl-- say what you will about that boozy broad, but at least she's honest.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread