+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
Like Tree167Likes

Thread: 11/16 Project Runway 16 Finale Part 2 Show Thread

Re: 11/16 Project Runway 16 Finale Part 2 Show Thread

Of course, what I am about to say is strictly my opinion, but I didn't like anyone's collection. Brandon - boring. Ayana - no comment. Margarita - too loud. Kentaro - I can understand why he won because it was the most "fashion forward", but a lot of it left me scratching my head. For me, this was the worst season I've ever seen and I struggled to watch it. I tuned out until the annoying twins were both eliminated, so I missed a bit of it. Most of the season was boring and none of the designers impressed me that much. The only one whose style I liked was Michael, and the season went down from there after he was eliminated.
    woodiedog likes this.

"...Meta-Foric-Cally!" Kocky_Kamikaze's Avatar

It would be neat to bring back all the first eliminated contestants to compete.
    Bearcata, beerbelly and Babbred like this.
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

FORT Newbie

I think Tim is just fine, especially after seeing last night's reunion show. He is there to give some help, but not to change or dictate what a designer is going to show. And because he knows he has not agreed with the judges in the past, perhaps he is not always sure what they will like either. I don't think he wants to FORCE someone to make major changes unless THEY are behind it.

Brandon, although I like him, is such a "one note" designer. What he does is great, but.... it really is the same thing over and over. Pastels, stiff cotton, loose fitting, strings, boxy shape. I would like to see what he would create if he had to dress a woman for a "white tie" event; ultra dressy. Also, except for the time he dressed Liris, I don't recall him having many of the plus size models to fit. His clothes would fit them like a sail.

I am glad Kentaro won. Many of his outfits were simply stunning. Plus.... he is a funny, quirky guy.

Margarita's clothes although bright and colorful, look a bit tacky to me. Sort of like a 1970s Marimba band. Ok for tropical islands, or vacation, but not at all something most people would wear to work, or in a non-tropical setting.

The twins were a train wreck last night. Claire got caught in a couple of lies. Good thing they want to design together, because they can't do much anything apart. It is pretty over the top. Scary to us, but I guess they are happy with their lives. 'Nuff said.

Plus Sized Models: Yes, it was nice to see them. I thought the standing ovation when the bathing suit cover up came off was really silly though. Like the fashion industry had this giant break through, and from here on out, things will be different. Ya, right. Pretty forced. And I don't care what anyone says; although it is nice these women can "embrace who they are" and be comfortable in their own skin, I still think we would all rather look thinner (not skinny) and FIT. You can wear more clothes. I have had to fight my weight all my life. Right now, I am about 25 pounds over. Yes I look fine to most people, but.... I know I would look better in my clothes if I lost the weight. You don't know how lousy you feel, until you discover how great you CAN feel.

Interesting that in the 30s, 40s and 50s, sizes were smaller. A 12 today was like an 18 back then. Our food now has much more carbs and sugar in it, and portions today are ridiculous. HUGE. No wonder we have so much fat and cellulite on our bodies. I get we're suppose to be more "accepting" of others and ourselves, but being fat is certainly not something I want to strive for. And yes; these women (and myself) are not "curvy". The word is FAT.
    Bearcata, sunshine3331 and annemik like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kocky_Kamikaze View Post
    It would be neat to bring back all the first eliminated contestants to compete.
    OMG!! I LOVE this idea!
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

"Interesting that in the 30s, 40s and 50s, sizes were smaller. A 12 today was like an 18 back then. Our food now has much more carbs and sugar in it, and portions today are ridiculous. HUGE. No wonder we have so much fat and cellulite on our bodies. I get we're suppose to be more "accepting" of others and ourselves, but being fat is certainly not something I want to strive for. And yes; these women (and myself) are not "curvy". The word is FAT."

Thank you for calling this "plus-size mania" out. Having a sister who recently had to go through stomach surgery to save her life (she is 5'2" and weighed 250 lbs), glorifying over-weight models and calling them the cutsy-pie names like "plus size" really irritates me. It can encourage women to ignore their health.

Quote Originally Posted by justmythoughts View Post

Margarita's clothes although bright and colorful, look a bit tacky to me. Sort of like a 1970s Marimba band. Ok for tropical islands, or vacation, but not at all something most people would wear to work, or in a non-tropical setting.

Plus Sized Models: Yes, it was nice to see them. I thought the standing ovation when the bathing suit cover up came off was really silly though. Like the fashion industry had this giant break through, and from here on out, things will be different. Ya, right. Pretty forced.

Thank you! I'm glad PR is using their platform to bring attention to this issue, but like you said, get real. The fashion industry has had this problem for a long time. I remember a few years ago reading a memoir by a plus-sized model. She talked about when she first got into the business she nearly killed herself trying to get thin. She developed anorexia and finally stopped the madness when she nearly died. She said "you could always tell" who the models were who had problems. On photo shoots they would politely decline the offered food with excuses like "I'm on a diet" but you could see the hollow look in their eyes. The author said her agency told her that when she pressed her knees together, her thighs shouldn't touch!

Okay, sorry for the rant. This model said that even though she had transitioned to plus-sized modeling, it was difficult to find work. I seriously doubt much is going to change now.

And I don't care what anyone says; although it is nice these women can "embrace who they are" and be comfortable in their own skin, I still think we would all rather look thinner (not skinny) and FIT. You can wear more clothes. I have had to fight my weight all my life. Right now, I am about 25 pounds over. Yes I look fine to most people, but.... I know I would look better in my clothes if I lost the weight. You don't know how lousy you feel, until you discover how great you CAN feel.

I have made peace with the fact that I will always be about 30 lbs. overweight. It runs in my family. Bad health also runs in my family, though, so I work on eating as healthily as possible to avoid that.

Interesting that in the 30s, 40s and 50s, sizes were smaller. A 12 today was like an 18 back then. Our food now has much more carbs and sugar in it, and portions today are ridiculous. HUGE. No wonder we have so much fat and cellulite on our bodies. I get we're suppose to be more "accepting" of others and ourselves, but being fat is certainly not something I want to strive for. And yes; these women (and myself) are not "curvy". The word is FAT.

Marilyn Monroe would never make it in Hollywood (or as a model) today. Also, before the 19th century it was considered a good thing for both men and women to be plump. That meant you could afford to eat well. Go to a museum and look at pictures from back then. Beneath those large hats the women are rosy and round.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    Marilyn Monroe would never make it in Hollywood (or as a model) today. Also, before the 19th century it was considered a good thing for both men and women to be plump. That meant you could afford to eat well. Go to a museum and look at pictures from back then. Beneath those large hats the women are rosy and round.
    At 5'2" Marilyn would have a hard time being a model in today's market, but she could act.

Marilyn was born in the 20th century not the 18th and yes there are different standards of beauty depending on the decade, century, and what social position you were in
    annemik likes this.
    No goat killers on my island.

I remember when Twiggy was the epitome of beauty as super skinny was the look in the 60's. The 50's were buxom beautifies like Monroe and Mansfield. Fashion changes and so will body preferences. Right now, it seems to be all over the place from long legged, skinny (but not flat chested) women to the super curvaceous beauties with big breasts and derriere's (and an unrealistically tiny waists) like the Kardasians. It will be interesting to see what will be IN in the future.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567