+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree125Likes

Thread: 10/5 - Project Runway 16 Show Discussion

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: 10/5 - Project Runway 16 Show Discussion

Anyone else cringe a bit when a designer (Batani?) was talking to Tim about how her client was a breast cancer survivor and wanted color - and when Tim gave his first critique, he described the lack of color as making the dress look like a gray shroud? Poor choice of words there.

I thought Claire's first top looked a LOT like Margarita's dress from last week. And when Tim mentioned that, M was pissed that he told Claire, "I've seen this look before - from you." He didn't even acknowledge that it was Margarita's design. Or maybe he was inferring that M stole the design from Claire in the first place. LOL.

If Claire was measuring pants in the bathroom during their work hours, that's one thing. Hubby was watching more closely than I was, and he said Claire had a long list of measurements of her client. If she took a tape measure and the measurements back to the hotel and was "tweaking" her work after hours, that - IMO - bumps up on cheating. I'm sure that all the designers are going over their work in their heads, but to take anything from the workroom to the hotel to continue manually working - no go. It would have been funny if Claire had walked over to them while they were speaking Spanish and said, "Hola. ¿Cómo estás? ¿Sabías que puedo hablar español?" ("Hello. How are you? Did you know I can speak Spanish?")

Michael and Margarita grumbling about Claire in Spanish was definitely rude. But a few weeks ago, Kentaro and his model were chatting away in Japanese, and Tim seemed to find it charming. Of course, they were just chatting and celebrating something they had in common - they didn't seem to be talking negatively about anyone. And Michael - you (like Margarita) need to learn to focus your attention on YOUR project. The reason Claire beat you both was because your design was worse - she was busy listening to critiques and adjusting. You were busy criticizing and spending too much of your time watching her.
    I'm Paula.

Oh boy! We are all over the board here in what we think should or will happen.

I think Claire will keep her win as well as stay in the competition, not because she deserves either, but because TPTB love to stir the sh!t and what better way to get ratings then to keep someone around who creates drama by annoying the heck out of everyone else? (Ain't that right, Paul Abrahamian?) People will gripe and moan about the unfairness of it all, but they'll still tune in to see what happens.
    ---
    I can't believe the judges chose Claire's design if for no other reason than the fact that her black and white design was so similar to the design on the Dixie cups everyone was drinking from while they were working on their garment, which was also the design on the Dixie cups in the commercial that aired between segments on the show. I'm surprised nobody picked up on the fact that Claire may have copied that design as well.
    ---
    I don't blame Michael for walking off the stage. If it had been anyone else who won and he had done that, I would have felt he was overreacting, but since it was Claire who 'won,' that was the perfect time to make a statement. If he had waited until they were all back in the workroom or hotel to voice his concerns, he would have been scolded for not speaking up sooner. True, it might have been a better choice to have spoken up directly to the judges while they were all still standing on the stage, but it's easy to think rationally from the comfort of my sofa.
    ---
    I'm with Margarita. I would have been upset. Again, if Margarita's design hadn't just won the week before, I would have felt she was overreacting. But since her design had just won and Claire didn't even have enough imagination to make the ruching flow in the opposite direction, Margarita had a right to be angry, imo.
    2016 Yearbook Title: Only FORT Member Known To Have Gotten An Air Traffic Controller Back On Track.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
    Claire will not get eliminated. Her wanting to put her model in her favorite pant style is not cheating. Everyone has their favorite style. An accusation of copying yourself is not going to fly. Claire has a high skill set.

The two lowest entries accused the highest of cheating. It looked like they would say anything. If they had vision, they would not have been focusing on Claire. Claire's sister's absence will be helpful to her. But she is not use to being by herself.

The win will stay.
    Agreed. It makes them look like sour grapes sore losers. And I also agree with you that I believe the win will stick, and Tim will scold the "mean girls". Remember how Tim came down on Erin and Dexter for their bullying antics in S15? I think it'll be something similar for Margarita and Micheal.

Claire's outfit may not have been the most original thing out there, but met the challenge, made good use of the print, and looked great on the model. The top did not look end up looking so much like Margarita's shirt dress, to me. As for Michael worrying about the pants, it would seem to me that there are only so many ways to make a cropped pant. So, if the design seems like something that was "already in Claire's closet" at the hotel, big deal. Honestly, I think this is all making Margarita and Michael look bad, not Claire.
    petertracy, tinderbox and lilymax like this.

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vanillalatte View Post
    Claire's top did not look end up looking so much like Margarita's shirt dress, to me.
    But it looked a whole lot like the top that Shawn wore during their cry-a-thon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm Paula.

Quote Originally Posted by vanillalatte View Post
    Agreed. It makes them look like sour grapes sore losers. And I also agree with you that I believe the win will stick, and Tim will scold the "mean girls". Remember how Tim came down on Erin and Dexter for their bullying antics in S15? I think it'll be something similar for Margarita and Micheal.
    I think this will depend on where this offense was made. If it was in the workroom, I have to admit this will likely happen, but if she measured them at the hotel... different story.

And Erin's was more they just didn't like here. This instance there is some backup for the dislike (copy-cat behavior/the pants incident).

Claire's outfit may not have been the most original thing out there, but met the challenge, made good use of the print, and looked great on the model. The top did not look end up looking so much like Margarita's shirt dress, to me. As for Michael worrying about the pants, it would seem to me that there are only so many ways to make a cropped pant. So, if the design seems like something that was "already in Claire's closet" at the hotel, big deal. Honestly, I think this is all making Margarita and Michael look bad, not Claire.
    Actually a design that is already in someone's closet IMHO it is a big deal because that would mean that Claire is winning a challenge with a static, already ready to wear look.

As much as the others save Kentaro's (of the top 6 mind you) had some issues - they were overall all designed pieces. This is a design challenge, and something already there is not design.

In fact - Heidi and company chided Brandon for being too similar to his other designs and to break his boundaries. He did do a decent job of that already this week, and you can tell he's seriously trying.

That isn't happening with Claire who has been consistently the same each week or pulled out an outfit like this already on the market.

You are right though the redesign of the shirt looks nothing like Margarita's shirt dress.

Mind you I'm no fan or Erin's or Gretchen's (two previous season winners) but at least they would attempt to create something new and inventive with their lines, especially the final runway. Even Gretchen's "ready to go to market" bo-ho looks had something creative: her jewelry, which she still sells and apparently does decent to well in.

I just don't see this with Claire - it's been consistent in her designs that other designers would've been warned by now for doing.
    mayamaisha likes this.

FORT Regular

Something that I keep thinking is when Tim questioned Michael backstage, he said it had been going on for some time? What had been going on? Cheating? It better be a good one to keep us all anticipating next weeks show. AND what has me pissed is that they gave the safe win to Claire, $25,000 even though she sewed something boring and safe, when they have sent home designers in the past for sewing safe!
    mayamaisha and navybelle like this.

I am on Team Maragrita 100% BUT...wasnt she dying her fabric in her room?
    I thought Michael said the pants Claire designed were the ones she had in her room meaning they were actually her pants & not the ones she did in the workroom but I may have misunderstood.
    We can see Heidi makes all the calls. Zac & Nina wanted to chose Kentaro. I'm 5'0" & 108 pounds. I would wear Kentaro's dress if it were a bit shorter but yes I would wear it.
    Claire's look I could find at Forever 21 if I were to shop there...OK don't judge but Forever 21 does have amazing yoga clothing at a very reasonable price. I can't afford Under Amour or Lulalemon.
    mayamaisha likes this.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

FORT Fan

"I thought Michael said the pants Claire designed were the ones she had in her room meaning they were actually her pants & not the ones she did in the workroom but I may have misunderstood."

That's what I heard him say as well. I think that Margarita was dying her fabric in the workroom kitchen sink. Heidi's eyes lit up like a Christmas tree after Michael walked off. She knew they had the kind of drama about to happen that grabs ratings and press.
    Trust Me!

The situation better be cleared up definitively or Dixie cups will likely keep their money and refrain from using any design I would think.... my guess is that Clare will be found innocent of all charges..... CRAZY......

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    I am on Team Maragrita 100% BUT...wasnt she dying her fabric in her room?
    I thought it looked like the little kitchenette place they take their lunch breaks.

I hate to say, the whole cliff hanger part. . . . . worked! I can't WAIT for next week to see what happens, lol.

+ Reply to Thread