+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree125Likes

Thread: 10/5 - Project Runway 16 Show Discussion

Re: 10/5 - Project Runway 16 Show Discussion

As I recall during a previous season, designers deconstructed a contestant's pants to create a pattern.

We also saw Margarita seething and insisting Claire was copying her dress, yet no one else saw that.

Regardless how this plays out with Claire, IMO Margarita has anger issues that throws her off her game.

CCL

Claire's original top did look like Margarita's dress; the final version didn't. Regardless, that Margarita let it affect her so much is on her rather than on Claire.
    I think the Fo Realz was right that Michael was saying that Claire was using her own pants as a pattern. I don't think he was saying that the print was the same but more the shape/cut (though the print wasn't that unique either).
    Bogus that they've had two cliffhangers in a row.
    Before we begin, what are the parameters of the guessing game? How many guesses do I get? Is there a time limit?

I think the issue is where she's measuring them. They have to do things in the workroom, and if it's anywhere else it can be seen as cheating.

A contestant was ejected in the Bravo years for having basic dress patterns in their hotel room, which was in violation of the rules. Copying exactly someone's work too can also be seen as cheating.

I mean - copying ideas/techniques into designs is going to happen. Anyone who does any design will tell you that you have inspiration from someone or something else.

Copying an exact design is a huge no-no for legal reasons, and honestly that is what needs to be determined.

Regardless of the ethical/rules arguments - her design shouldn't have won.

I'm sorry, but it was boring, it was save, and definitely NOT worth $25,000 and will look abysmal on a Dixie Cup (which IMHO ranks as one of the worst prizes to ever win).

Kentaro's was the best of the top looks in my honest opinion. A lot of the designs could've done better with tweaks here and there. Kenya's needed a flat top and a looser skirt, but the color combination and design were nice. Michael's woudl've been better if he used the print for the wrap-around waist (which I thought looked fine even with her being shorter), and then a solid color top with *maybe* the print in the trim.

I liked Brandon's outfit because while it wasn't a huge divergence from some of his previous designs, he did work to make it different. I'd worn his or Kentaro's in a heartbeat.

But Claire's was so safe it wasn't even funny.

Now what do I think is going to happen versus what I'd like to see happen:

Want to see:

a. If Claire's measuring incident be done in the hotel room - disqualification. She's cheating plain and simple.

b. If in workroom - it's up in the air. She should lose her win for sure, because part of the work was not done in the workroom. Up in the air if DQ'd from the show.

What will likely happen:

We will likely hear Tim and the others say that there are no winners or losers this challenge, and there will be a double elimination the next round.

They will also get a scolding and be told to immediately report cheating, making it where Claire gets off easier than the others.

We will hear Claire whine about losing the $25,000 because of Michael calling her out for "trying to improve her designs" and not her cheating.

Everyone in the workroom will give her the silent treatment and in turn she'll be more annoying than when she and Shawn were together.

OR...

If she isn't disqualified we will see Michael or Margarita walk from the show. If both quit, we will have Shawn return and it will be business as normal.

Honestly, I think Shawn should've tried to stay in. At least she tried to design stuff of her own innovation - she failed more because she was focused on her sister than her own work. But at least her failures were because she tried and failed.

Oh and yes - Claire's print isn't even original. It also looks in the final design as though she just bleached out parts on the black prints instead of it being an actual print.

In fairness - Margarita's print was definitely far more original than Claire's even if she hated the print.

*Sigh* gone are the days of prints such as Mondo's "Positive sign" print where you tell a story and still create a bold, beautiful pattern.

Finally, if they just do a regular win/lose situation (which I think they'll lose even more viewers) I think Batani will be eliminated. That outfit is just bad and you barely have any of the print.
    Last edited by jadewarlock; 10-06-2017 at 12:16 AM.
    Kao, mayamaisha, Babbred and 1 others like this.

Not basic dress patterns ... he had hidden a pattern book in his room.

Nonetheless, show runners have made a point of making Margarita look like a middle school mean girl for three episodes now. It seems to me that they wouldn't have gone there if Claire is disqualified for cheating.
    tinderbox, Babbred and woodiedog like this.

I really didn't think the initial design looked like Margurita's dress but regardless, the shirt didn't look like it in he end. I think Margurita over reacted. As far as the pants are concerned, it remains to be seen what the issue is..
    tinderbox and woodiedog like this.

The issue is probably Claire's annoying personality and the perceived copy cat pushed Margarite's buttons to the max.

In a previous challenge (the models where they designed on the street) designers were noting that Shawn copied the blouse design worn that day. It seems innovation is not in the twins' vocabulary.
    Babbred and woodiedog like this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

Margarita did over react to the point of being ridiculous. She couldn't even concentrate on her own design which is the designers' first priority.

The reason Claire won was that other designs were horrible. I couldn't even guess which ones were the top and which were the bottom. I am thinking that Kentaro was 2nd, but he used way too much material for a small woman....everything else has a serious flaw that the judges did point out and were basically just ugly.
    Lizard, tinderbox and woodiedog like this.

I hope Claire does get eliminated.
    JosephD and woodiedog like this.
    "Everyone has a Mt. Everest. ......."

Claire will not get eliminated. Her wanting to put her model in her favorite pant style is not cheating. Everyone has their favorite style. An accusation of copying yourself is not going to fly. Claire has a high skill set.

The two lowest entries accused the highest of cheating. It looked like they would say anything. If they had vision, they would not have been focusing on Claire. Claire's sister's absence will be helpful to her. But she is not use to being by herself.

The win will stay.
    The last word isn't really important in situations when nobody is listening.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
    Claire will not get eliminated. Her wanting to put her model in her favorite pant style is not cheating. Everyone has their favorite style. An accusation of copying yourself is not going to fly. Claire has a high skill set.

The two lowest entries accused the highest of cheating. It looked like they would say anything. If they had vision, they would not have been focusing on Claire. Claire's sister's absence will be helpful to her. But she is not use to being by herself.

The win will stay.
    Copying a style sense isn't cheating. Using the pants as a pattern to get that design can be seen as such.

Additionally if the work was NOT done in the workroom regardless, that is also cheating. May not be a DQ from show level (I would say it is if done at the hotels), but it is cheating and unethical practice. I still maintain that if she is in violation of that rule, she loses the win, especially as there is a significant cash prize.

People refer to the cutting up pants for a pattern in the workroom. That doesn't bother me as much (does disappoint) because it was IN THE WORKROOM. If I call correctly too it was done because the person had never made pants/menswear.

And - take it form someone who has had to deal with copycats and cheaters: when you're noticing someone doing this and you know they're not being called out on it when it is reported (or you know there's filmed footage of it) it affects you mentally. The problem with these two is they let it get to them TOO much. Still - it's going to happen.

(I think too that Claire may have won because she had the model who was the Executive Producer's choice.)

ibot2much - I know that Kentaro looked to use a lot of material, but if his inspiration was an Indian wedding, it really isn't that much even on a petite woman.

I've seen plenty of Indian saris in my time, and while yes not all of them use that much material, there is a lot of it on women of all types wearing yards of material. Only the shoulder and part of the stomach (usually just below rib cage to hips) shows.

I think there it's more a lack of culture on the judge's part, though yes it can be argued from their POV the coat not be there.

The others yes had enough design flaws (top and bottom looks) that they wouldn't have won.
    Last edited by jadewarlock; 10-06-2017 at 11:00 AM.
    navybelle likes this.

+ Reply to Thread