+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: 9/14 - Project Runway 16 Show Discussion

Re: 9/14 - Project Runway 16 Show Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    I guess I'll never get it about what makes those sleeves good. Heidi made her usual "straitjacket" joke about them, but she usually makes that joke about garments she doesn't like.

And nothing will ever make me like that striped print. It's 50's sitcom kitchen wallpaper.

I just think that look is totally The Emperor's New Clothes.
    I actually liked the bottom part. I thought the fabric was pretty and the design wasn't bad. I couldn't agree more about the top half, though. Those sleeves wiil always look ridiculous to me.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz View Post
    I don't really understand the love for it myself. Sometimes different is just different and there's a reason it's never been done before. I don't think the top part is particularly flattering to her figure and I didn't like the fabric for the bottom section.
    (Bolding by me)

Yes, that's another thing that bothers me about it -- this is not a design that the fuller-figure models could have worn, because it's meant to be "artistic" -- but it does absolutely nothing for this model's body. It literally is a straitjacket. I've seen these design elements attempted before on the show -- Jeffrey's first dress & coat the first week of season 3, Santino & Nick's INC dress in season 2... this is the first time the judges have liked this silhouette.
    justCoz and Babbred like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I think Kenya or the other guy should have won. I guess Brandon's gave the illusion of innocence this good vs evil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Everyone has a Mt. Everest. ......."

I felt it would be difficult to do anything with those sleeves, not just go to the bathroom.

Remember too that we frequently hear that it is also important that garments sell. This show is about the runway because that is how the clothing is presented, and also for the designers to stretch their vision and attempt high fashion looks. I get that. It's also got prizes that infer to me that the marketability is definitely a factor. They also speak about it.

I'd never want to give up seeing the weird and the wonderful that we see with this show. Some of the designs are amazing, others funny, some a mixture of many traits. And we frequently see the sublime together with the ridiculous. And that's what we all get together here to discuss, no?

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz View Post
    I don't really understand the love for it myself. Sometimes different is just different and there's a reason it's never been done before. I don't think the top part is particularly flattering to her figure and I didn't like the fabric for the bottom section.
    Yes, I agree. It was plain old ugly to me, and I couldn't believe it won. I like the designer okay, but this dress wasn't what I consider pretty for evening, or illustrating the Good (vs evil). The cut of the skirt was more casual, the back was too loose, the fabric didn't move nicely and was ugly, and then that white thing looked awkward up there. The flowy sleeves was actually the only part I almost liked! Except for the ties, which looked like an afterthought or something the twins would've done. I liked how they were gathered, but wished it looked nicer, and of course been a bit shorter to avoid looking ridiculous.

I also agree with everyone that I want those twins off my screen!!!!
    justCoz likes this.

What were those streamers hanging off Brandon's outfit today? The judges definitely want him in the finals. I thought he was very creative in earlier epis, but today's didn't look fresh at all. Maybe because it was a knock off of what he wears himself.
    I'm glad the judges are starting to see how Claire helps Shawn. Let's see where that leads.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345