+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: 9/14 - Project Runway 16 Show Discussion

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: 9/14 - Project Runway 16 Show Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    Also like the costume comments here about Clare's outfit. I have two young nieces who are into all that Disney princess stuff. That outfit looked like something their mother would throw together for a Halloween costume for them.
    Did anyone else notice that every time they showed Clare's outfit, the lavender sheer Disney Princess fabric was draped a different way? Once it wasn't there, the next time it seemed to be hanging from the waist, and the next time, it was hanging from the shoulder. No matter where it was, the entire outfit DID look like something one would pick up at the Disney store (in a smaller size).
    Babbred likes this.
    I'm Paula.

FORT Fogey Ms.pacman New Champion, 7up Pinball Champion, Beat The Meter Champion awesomekina23's Avatar

Brandon is one of my favorites but I don't think his look deserved the win this week. Yes it was creative but I don't know many women who want to rock a straightjacket with side boob. I liked Kenya's and Michael's looks more.

I'm all for train wrecks on reality tv but I can't put up with the twins. They need to go!

Quote Originally Posted by lilymax View Post
    Remember how Heidi went on and on about how a girl wouldn't be able to go pee in the middle of the night in somebody's outfit? I remember that because she wouldn't shut up about it, and I thought it seemed stupid at the time. It had something to do with somebody's design for her line of lingerie; it had to be easy to get out of, is what she said. I think Heidi is always trying to sound like she's still young and sexy despite that she isn't 25 anymore. I think Heidi needs to act a bit more her age.

Anyway, I was just thinking, if she really felt that way then why didn't she complain about a girl not being able to go pee at an event, if she were wearing Brandon's "straight jacket" outfit? Now that one would be hard to get out of quickly. According to Heidi's own theory, she would pee herself.

I was thinking that same thing the whole time Heidi raved about this outfit. I love Brandon to death, and I'm so glad he's getting praise from the judges. I do think he should be safe, because he definitely has sewing skills and makes good fabric choices. I just don't think his past two looks should have won.
    lilymax likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

At one point Heidi reminded us that this is a runway fashion show, not daily wear. These were to be gowns, not dresses. With that in mind, Brandon designed properly. His girl would not be walking down the street, or pushing open a toilet stall door per se. Hey, it had a skirt which could be pulled up if you really want to get that graphic.

This is a design show for the most part. Unless otherwise directed like for Heidi's sleepwear line for sale, it is a runway show - let extravagance reign.
    GolfGrrl, Critical and sparklete like this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

All true, but I still wasn't in love with Brandon's design. It reminded me of Santino & Nick's overdesigned anime dress for the INC challenge that Angela/Laura/Michael won in S3 -- the silhouette was just odd. And I was not in love with the striped wallpaper fabric.

But hey, high fashion for me is slacks instead of sweatpants, so what do I know.
    AZChristian and Babbred like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by awesomekina23 View Post
    Brandon is one of my favorites but I don't think his look deserved the win this week. Yes it was creative but I don't know many women who want to rock a straightjacket with side boob. I liked Kenya's and Michael's looks more.

I'm all for train wrecks on reality tv but I can't put up with the twins. They need to go!
    I would absolutely wear it if I was a lot thinner and my boobs sat where they used to 30 years ago with one change - bracelet length sleeves.

Those twins are unutterably repugnant and I absolutely loathe their choice in lipstick colour.
    annemik likes this.
    And so it begins, the end of times..

Quote Originally Posted by lilymax View Post
    Remember how Heidi went on and on about how a girl wouldn't be able to go pee in the middle of the night in somebody's outfit? I remember that because she wouldn't shut up about it, and I thought it seemed stupid at the time. It had something to do with somebody's design for her line of lingerie; it had to be easy to get out of, is what she said. I think Heidi is always trying to sound like she's still young and sexy despite that she isn't 25 anymore. I think Heidi needs to act a bit more her age.
    I'm 57. Believe me, giving thought to easy toilet access in the middle of the night IS acting one's age.
    And so it begins, the end of times..

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    At one point Heidi reminded us that this is a runway fashion show, not daily wear. These were to be gowns, not dresses. With that in mind, Brandon designed properly. His girl would not be walking down the street, or pushing open a toilet stall door per se. Hey, it had a skirt which could be pulled up if you really want to get that graphic.

This is a design show for the most part. Unless otherwise directed like for Heidi's sleepwear line for sale, it is a runway show - let extravagance reign.
    Yeah, I didn't understand why taking off the top was part of the equation in using the restroom, when the bottom was a skirt. Maybe I've been doing it wrong all these years!

When they're designing for something like Heidi's clothing line and it needs to be reproduced for sale to "regular" people in stores, that's a different standard than many of the other challenges. We've seen plenty of garments over the seasons where the models were sewn into the garments or couldn't sit down. I doubt the overwhelming majority of the garments made in ANY unconventional materials challenge allows to wearer to use the restroom easily while wearing it! This is high fashion and not ready-to-wear.

You also have to take into consideration the time crunch these designers are facing. If they were charged with remaking their designs for sale, they'd obviously take other factors into consideration, like ease of access, and they'd "do it right." With only a few days, it's sometimes easier, for example, to just sew the model into the garment than put in a zipper. The culminating event is the judging on the runway, not someone buying it to wear IRL.
    Arielflies likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I have heard that some models wear depends as they are sewn into the garments and can't sit or lie down in them.
    No goat killers on my island.

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I have heard that some models wear depends as they are sewn into the garments and can't sit or lie down in them.
    I can see Zac Posen doing his normal close inspection of something, wrinkling up his nose, and saying, "This outfit really stinks."
    annemik likes this.
    I'm Paula.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast