+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: 9/7 - Project Runway 16 Show Discussion

Re: 9/7 - Project Runway 16 Show Discussion

I had to go look at the photos on the Lifetime site for a reminder of who did what.

Aaron: What in the world made him think that was stylish sleepwear? I agree with Heidi, I was really excited about what he was doing for a print, but what he made was just ugly and not at all fitting of the challenge.

Amy: Gave me a bit of a Halston vibe. I like the piping at the neck and sleeves, and the print is pretty. But overall, a safe look.

Ayana: My first thought was "holy cow, she showed legs!" The print on the shorts is cute and I like the cot of the top. Would have been fine without the robe at all.

Batani: Her treatment of the fabric is gorgeous. Very sexy neckline. I was actually a bit surprised this wasn't top 3.

Brandon: Again, love what he did. It looks comfortable, and even though it's oversized, it's still sexy enough. I think he may have been in the top 3 if he'd been a little more dramatic with the textile, but he needs to be careful about not becoming one-note with the high waist and crop top. He's done that 3 out of 4 challenges so far, and that may have been why he was only "safe" this week.

Claire: Pepto-bismal. Just a big old NO on the color. The wrap effect is cute and the shorts are fine, but just can't with that color.

Deyonte: Watching him deteriorate and ultimately self-destruct this week was too bad. His week 1 look was so beautiful, but he's just gotten weaker and weaker each with until he ended up with this big pile of nothing.

Kenya: The color combination was pretty. But that's about it. Felt bad for her. She knew this wasn't her challenge.

Kentaro: The detail around the neckline was very pretty and the design itself was sexy. It would translate well to a number of body types and sizes. But I just didn't care of the treatment of the fabric. The hombre from the white to the blue was beautiful, and even the chevron pattern would have been fine, but adding the pink and yellow and blue....what are they? Butterflies? He lost me there.

Margarita: The two pieces together were too much. I tend to like the rule baggy top/fitted bottom or vice versa. If she's made a small, more fitted cammie on top, I think it might have been better. This model looks like she's drowning in silk.

Michael: I love this! The color, the hand painted art-deco pattern, and the spaghetti straps. So pretty and very sexy!

Samantha: My only thought here was "that doesn't look like sleepwear".

Shawn: I'm almost embarrassed to say, this was my favorite look of the week. Pretty, sexy, and comfy. The color choice was very classy. I could see sleeping comfortably in it, and lounging on a Saturday morning sipping a cup of coffee in it.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    If it was contestant cheating it would be them handing each other patterns or literally designing their entire look. I can see people giving each other pointers, but if it were a whole sketch that maybe was another person's design too... that could be seen as cheating between contestants.

It's highly unlikely, but the first guy ejected from this show for cheating had patterns and thought the producers weren't having cameras on them all the time even in the hotels (save bathroom and when they were dressing for example).

Sadly I have a feeling it will be along the lines of the double sided tape or other helpers to keep someone covered up but in reality it doesn't work.

Of note, looking at Deyonte's dance inspired look last week, I wonder if Aaron got the idea for underwear and sheer from that look?
    We've seen contestants designing and sewing other contestants entire looks in past.

IMO, the twins are annoying because they're annoying twins, not because they're cheating.
    petertracy likes this.

I think my favorite part was Samantha helping Kentaro. I loved when she said "What's the win worth if you had to knock someone down to get it."

Quote Originally Posted by ryansmommy View Post
    The cheating accusation happens during the episode with Yolanda as guest judge.
    Ahh, good to know!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by vanillalatte View Post
    I had to go look at the photos on the Lifetime site for a reminder of who did what.

Aaron: What in the world made him think that was stylish sleepwear? I agree with Heidi, I was really excited about what he was doing for a print, but what he made was just ugly and not at all fitting of the challenge.

Amy: Gave me a bit of a Halston vibe. I like the piping at the neck and sleeves, and the print is pretty. But overall, a safe look.

Ayana: My first thought was "holy cow, she showed legs!" The print on the shorts is cute and I like the cot of the top. Would have been fine without the robe at all.

Batani: Her treatment of the fabric is gorgeous. Very sexy neckline. I was actually a bit surprised this wasn't top 3.

Brandon: Again, love what he did. It looks comfortable, and even though it's oversized, it's still sexy enough. I think he may have been in the top 3 if he'd been a little more dramatic with the textile, but he needs to be careful about not becoming one-note with the high waist and crop top. He's done that 3 out of 4 challenges so far, and that may have been why he was only "safe" this week.

Claire: Pepto-bismal. Just a big old NO on the color. The wrap effect is cute and the shorts are fine, but just can't with that color.

Deyonte: Watching him deteriorate and ultimately self-destruct this week was too bad. His week 1 look was so beautiful, but he's just gotten weaker and weaker each with until he ended up with this big pile of nothing.

Kenya: The color combination was pretty. But that's about it. Felt bad for her. She knew this wasn't her challenge.

Kentaro: The detail around the neckline was very pretty and the design itself was sexy. It would translate well to a number of body types and sizes. But I just didn't care of the treatment of the fabric. The hombre from the white to the blue was beautiful, and even the chevron pattern would have been fine, but adding the pink and yellow and blue....what are they? Butterflies? He lost me there.

Margarita: The two pieces together were too much. I tend to like the rule baggy top/fitted bottom or vice versa. If she's made a small, more fitted cammie on top, I think it might have been better. This model looks like she's drowning in silk.

Michael: I love this! The color, the hand painted art-deco pattern, and the spaghetti straps. So pretty and very sexy!

Samantha: My only thought here was "that doesn't look like sleepwear".

Shawn: I'm almost embarrassed to say, this was my favorite look of the week. Pretty, sexy, and comfy. The color choice was very classy. I could see sleeping comfortably in it, and lounging on a Saturday morning sipping a cup of coffee in it.
    Weren't they all chevons, a popular design motif during Art Deco times? Also the judges bashed him several times to use color and they got color.
    No goat killers on my island.

Best part of this episode: Kentaro learned a new word! "But I like diamonds!" Second best part: How the judges & Tim couldn't stop saying how shocked they were that a look that good came from Shawn.

Overall I agreed with the tops and bottoms. (I have to begrudgingly give Shawn credit, although part of her being on top had to do with so many of the other looks being sub-par.) I was really happy that Michael won.

I didn't like Amy's -- too baggy and Mrs. Roper looking. Margarita's was sort of that way too, but it was better designed. And I really didn't like Claire's, simply because it didn't look like sleepwear -- it looked like a Studio 54 cocktail dress. If there were shorts under there, they must have been tiny & tight.

Samantha's design was a little too literal art deco, but if she had pulled off the same tailoring as Shawn did, she might have been a contender for the top 3. But the pants were a little stiff, and the model had to keep pulling the jacket back up over her shoulders.

All during the episode, I kept thinking back to Season 1, and Jay McCarroll's Chrysler Building dress:

"Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Updating my picks again ...

Aaron Myers - matter of time (too specific point of view) (toast; on his way out)
    Amy Bond -top contender contender (not pushing herself from the experience ...)
    Ayana Ife - matter of time (too specific point of view)
    Batani-Khalfani - matter of time (she's not ready) contender
    Brandon Key - matter of time contender top contender
    ChaCha - matter of time
    Claire Buitendorp - contender
    Deyonte Weather - top contender matter of time
    Kentaro Kameyama - top contender
    Kenya Freeman - top contender contender
    Kudzanai Karidza - contender
    Margarita Alvarez - contender
    Michael Brambila - matter of time (too specific point of view) contender
    Samantha Rei - contender (I'm not certain of her point of view)
    Sentell McDonald - contender
    Shawn Buitendorp - matter of time contender

I'll never forget that dress by Jay McCarroll....
    AvonBlakes7 likes this.

My favorite dress remains the flower petal by Daniel - season 2?
    MFWalkoff and AvonBlakes7 like this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Michael's winning look was very pretty, and he deserved to win. I really thought Batani's was gorgeous and should have been in the top, though too. Yes, Shawn's was nice, but so were many of the others who were just safe, so I'd have switched hers out with Batani's. Kentaro was so funny, and seems very sweet. I liked his nightdress, but had to agree with him on the messiness of the paints (guess I'm anal too!). I wondered what Heidi's manufacturing would've done with it to mass produce it - would it have been more consistent, or would they have kept it homemade looking?

I was so disappointed with Deyonte. He really thought that look was good! Ugh. I liked him though, and wished they would've sent home see-through-bloomers boy instead. WHAT was that? WHY would someone want to be seen in those? He wears the weirdest things. I get that he wants to be feminine, and probably wants to stand out, so, he's succeeding. I just think it doesn't look good, at all. The underwear under the bloomers were horrid - why not go with something pretty under them?

Michael seems like a dark horse, in a way. Quiet at first, but he has real skills and creativity.

The way these curvy models are such a challenge to the designers is mind-boggling to me. They talk about it like it's the worst thing ever to deal with! ha! They say they've "never done this before" like it's a completely different skill set. It's still sewing and styling and designing, but they're not used to it on someone with curves. Hopefully they'll get more comfortable with it, and therefore I'm so glad the show has put these models on the show every week.
    Babbred likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast